Does Google collect too much personal information?

Does Google collect too much personal data about you?

• Total voters

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So posted that TL;DR to say, there is no being some kinda "Shadow or Spectre" for 99% of the common user population.
Well, if you are using a device on any kind of network with slapping something like a VPN on, there are plenty of parties that can sniff out your data.

At least with Google, they give you a portal where you can access everything they collect and also give you full control over it.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
At least with Google, they give you a portal where you can access everything they collect and also give you full control over it.

Exactly this!

I contacted Apple about receiving a data transparency report regarding my account in mid April. Last communication I got from them said, "We are currently processing your request. You will be receive an email once further information becomes available". That was April 24th.

Two follow-up emails from me since, and not a word from them.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Exactly this!

I contacted Apple about receiving a data transparency report regarding my account in mid April. Last communication I got from them said, "We are currently processing your request. You will be receive an email once further information becomes available". That was April 24th.

Two follow-up emails from me since, and not a word from them.
Yep... With Google, just go to https://myactivity.google.com/myactivity

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oops, should have said without a VPN... But even a VPN has its limits. They only block unwanted or unauthorized snooping. If you've given an app permission to access parts of your phone, a VPN does nothing to keep them from phoning home.... Only from someone listening in.

The way I look at it, attempting to eliminate data collection completely is a zero sum game.. Most likely you'll cripple the experience to the point of uselessness. So it becomes a matter of control.. as in how much control over that collection do you have?

And to be frank, there is only one company that does a good job of making this transparent to the end user: Google.
So you're saying a VPN doesn't hide anything?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
He meant without a VPN. With a VPN the only one that can truly see anything is the VPN provider itself. That is why getting a good one is important.
But that doesn't block the primary data sources. If you used Facebook on a VPN, that doesn't restrict what they could capture in the slightest.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
But that doesn't block the primary data sources. If you used Facebook on a VPN, that doesn't restrict what they could capture in the slightest.

Oh yeah the services you use will still see you using it if you have an account. If you are a guest browsing on something like YouTube it won't know it is you since it would only see the VPN server asking it for things.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Ask yourself this. After you paid 900.00 for your phone. Who really owns it. YOu the government, Google.
You can't remove apps that come with the phone like Samsung Pay. Bixby.
everywhere I go google tracks me. Tells everybody which stores I drive by. It knows my activity. Keeps more than one history on what I do. If I go somewhere on the internet, I get ads for what I looked for. I constantly delete Google activity and History and google downloads.
Try to turn everything off. But it some gets turned back on with updates.
Does the government or CIA keep up with me. Am I a threat to somebody so they have to track me. Why not just put a chip in me and keep up with me. Nobody can live without their phones.
What can anybody do ?
What can anybody turn off that don't get turned back on with updates.

I am on with you about google tracking and selling information. But who all do they sell it to.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Ask yourself this. Does google collect too much information ?
What about everything that is backed up in Cloud. They got all your information, They have all your passwords. They have all your history on where you are, where you have been. And at what time. What stores you have been in. I wouldn't be surprised it they don't keep a record of all your phone calls. Who you called and what you said.

And let me ask this. If somebody stole your phone, Can they take your Sims chip stick it in another phone and let cloud download all your information to the new phone.
All they need is your email address and password. Right.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
But who all do they sell it to.

No one. Google doesn't sell your information...

Think of it this way:

You live in an apartment building with a concierge and doorman. The concierge acts like your own personal assistant; screens your calls, your mail, keeps an eye out for everything that goes on... if you have a bill due, if the traffic might make you late for an important meeting, if that smartwatch you've been eyeing goes on sale, if there is important news about a company you like to follow, sports scores, he even makes sure all the pictures you take are backed up online... even making a collage or movies for you. Now, all of this is completely free of charge, nothing added to your rent or owner fees. How is that so?

Well...

There was that doorman, remember. Turns out that everyone wants to sell you stuff. And when someone comes walking up to the door and asks "Who lives here? I have some stuff I would like to sell them" Doorman proceeds to tell them that they can't give out any names of residents... but the salesman can pay a fee and hand over any pamphlets, coupons or samples and such along with an idea of the type of customer he would like to target... a young mother, retired dude, etc... The doorman then gives all of the stuff over to the concierge, who makes sure the right people will see the salesman's wares.

That's how Google's model works. They give users a massive amount of services and tools, free of charge. Yes, they collect a ton of data, but most of that data is used to then turn around and provide you with better services. And as payment for all those services, they internally utilize some of that data to either improve those services or turn around and provide you with directed advertisements/marketing. But the personal info, the important info, stays between me and Google.

To each their own, but I am 100% on board with this. Nothing is free, and if I am going to have to deal with ads at times, I see tremendous benefit if those ads are catered to me, specifically.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I am on with you about google tracking and selling information. But who all do they sell it to.

This is a false assumption. Google does not sell your user data; afaik they are the only OEM operating on Android for which that is true. Everyone you do business with is collecting as much information about you as they can and most of them are selling it or sharing it with third parties. Samsung is. Verizon is. T-Mobile, AT&T, your electric company, the company that sold you your car, many banks, etc, etc. The ones that aren't: Google and Apple.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you were managing phone settings instead of your Google account settings ;)
Ask yourself this. After you paid 900.00 for your phone. Who really owns it. YOu the government, Google.
You can't remove apps that come with the phone like Samsung Pay. Bixby.
everywhere I go google tracks me. Tells everybody which stores I drive by. It knows my activity. Keeps more than one history on what I do. If I go somewhere on the internet, I get ads for what I looked for. I constantly delete Google activity and History and google downloads.
Try to turn everything off. But it some gets turned back on with updates.
Does the government or CIA keep up with me. Am I a threat to somebody so they have to track me. Why not just put a chip in me and keep up with me. Nobody can live without their phones.
What can anybody do ?
What can anybody turn off that don't get turned back on with updates.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Google doesn't have all my passwords? Not sure where you keep pulling these random things from but that's not the case for all.

Also no they can't just swap a SIM and get your stuff.

Ask yourself this. Does google collect too much information ?
What about everything that is backed up in Cloud. They got all your information, They have all your passwords. They have all your history on where you are, where you have been. And at what time. What stores you have been in. I wouldn't be surprised it they don't keep a record of all your phone calls. Who you called and what you said.

And let me ask this. If somebody stole your phone, Can they take your Sims chip stick it in another phone and let cloud download all your information to the new phone.
All they need is your email address and password. Right.

nof8butwhatwemake

May 16, 2018
Visit site
There's been a lot in the news about tech companies and their practice of collecting data on users. It's no secret that Goggle collects a significant amount of user data, but do they collect too much?

For me personally, the answer is no. All modern technology companies collect data about users of their technology. The true question isn't about the amount of data, but the transparency of it's use and user control over what data they want to share with any technology company.

But I'm sure not all of us feel the same about the topic. How do you feel about Google's level of user data collection?

If Google doesn't collect "too much" information in your opinion, then you must not have any criteria whatsoever to determine what "too much" means. No organization in the world collects more data than Google.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
If Google doesn't collect "too much" information in your opinion, then you must not have any criteria whatsoever to determine what "too much" means. No organization in the world collects more data than Google.

Well, for me, I put more concern on true private information. As an example, in the states most Dr's offices (or medical attention in general) take a copy of your driver's license and social security number. I disagree with the SS# requirement. However, I need to have access to medical services, so I support in protest.:p

If I want to know how traffic is on the highway before I leave for work, Google needs to know where I work and where I am before my commute. I'm okay with them knowing these things.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Guess its o.k. If they keep a record of every site you visit.
And keep history on everywhere you go and What time you was there and how long too.
Not to mention every call going out and coming in on your phone.
Not to mention text and emails.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Guess its o.k. If they keep a record of every site you visit.
And keep history on everywhere you go and What time you was there and how long too.
Not to mention every call going out and coming in on your phone.
Not to mention text and emails.

I don't know if this was meant for me or someone else, but its more than okay with me. I mean, I wouldn't use their services if I wasn't good with the terms.

I choose to use their services the same way I chose to not have a Facebook account.

nof8butwhatwemake

May 16, 2018
Visit site
Well, for me, I put more concern on true private information. As an example, in the states most Dr's offices (or medical attention in general) take a copy of your driver's license and social security number. I disagree with the SS# requirement. However, I need to have access to medical services, so I support in protest.:p

If I want to know how traffic is on the highway before I leave for work, Google needs to know where I work and where I am before my commute. I'm okay with them knowing these things.

Are you OK with them collecting information they do not disclose and nobody agreed to? Or how about when you attempt to specifically opt out, and they collect it anyway against your wishes?

https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/google-sued-for-invading-privacy/
https://www.networkworld.com/articl...t-mass-invasion-of-internet-privacy-ever.html
https://futurism.com/google-admitted-tracking-location-when-settings-disabled/

There's tons more where those came from. You obviously are not up to speed on what Google's been up to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21