01-29-2019 12:03 PM
27 12
tools
    I am wondering whether my S41 will get Oreo. I doubt it, considering that my father's S60 never got upgraded from Marshmallow (it only gets security updates). Not getting Oreo on the S41 (powered by the very decent Helio P20) is inexcusable considering that low-end devices with the MT6737 and MT6737T are coming pre-loaded with Oreo.
    05-14-2018 06:35 AM
    I'd be surprised if anyone knew the answer to that question. You might have some luck in contacting CAT for support (or maybe your mobile carrier, provided you purchased it from them).
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    05-14-2018 08:50 AM
    I'd be surprised if anyone knew the answer to that question. You might have some luck in contacting CAT for support (or maybe your mobile carrier, provided you purchased it from them).
    Exactly this.

And TBH, I would be surprised if it does get an OS update at all, it seems to be still on 7.0,not even 7.1.

People who buy these phones are usually doing it for the ruggedness of the device and outdoor business uses. I have seen a lot of Security Guards at office parks with the S61 in particular to capture information of entrants. These things are not bought for the software.

It's not about the SoC at all.
    05-14-2018 03:10 PM
    I got it because I needed a water proof phone that could also run both in hot sun and in extreme negative temperatures without issues. I guess I will contact CAT support. The S61 has Oreo and they promised P as well. Nougat is still an excellent OS, but newer systems are more secure and the adaptive icon stuff sounds cool.
    Hamed_Ale and Brice QUILLERIE like this.
    05-15-2018 11:51 AM
    I guess I am stuck on Nougat for good...
    05-15-2018 01:45 PM
    CAT S41.
    Attached Thumbnails Will the CAT S41 get Oreo?-screenshot_20181014-214301.png  
    10-14-2018 02:19 PM
    I've updated to Oreo.

Will the CAT S41 get Oreo?-screenshot_20181219-234213.jpg

Will the CAT S41 get Oreo?-screenshot_20181220-011804.jpg
    milleniumdroid likes this.
    12-19-2018 06:34 PM
    Will download when I got time and will report back!
    12-20-2018 03:23 AM
    Update:
    I installed it an hour ago and it works great, aside form a 10k point decrease on Quadrant, but that just Oreo being itself. Oreo is even letting me run some stuff I though could only run on my Oreo tablet! Bootup is at least 5-7x faster than Nougat. Nougat is like "snaildroid" compared to Oreo.
    12-20-2018 08:39 AM
    Updated 5 days ago, and android auto not working anymore, any suggestions?

Keep rebooting when conected to android auto...
    12-28-2018 02:18 PM
    Update:
    I installed it an hour ago and it works great, aside form a 10k point decrease on Quadrant, but that just Oreo being itself. Oreo is even letting me run some stuff I though could only run on my Oreo tablet! Bootup is at least 5-7x faster than Nougat. Nougat is like "snaildroid" compared to Oreo.
    Why would you use Quadrant when it's not even fully optimized for the latest devices and SoCs?
    12-29-2018 02:21 AM
    Why would you use Quadrant when it's not even fully optimized for the latest devices and SoCs?
    For nostalgia. I use AnTuTu and Geekbench for normal benchmarking. I just noticed that Oreo DECREASES Quadrant scores and found that interesting.
    12-30-2018 03:23 AM
    For nostalgia. I use AnTuTu and Geekbench for normal benchmarking. I just noticed that Oreo DECREASES Quadrant scores and found that interesting.
    The score may decrease due to driver updates and the way Oreo may deal with SoCs.
    12-30-2018 04:33 AM
    Same problem for me in my car ...

I've tried lot of things but AA is still not working ; any idea ?
    01-07-2019 02:23 PM
    Hi there! I've got this update too, but after installing OREO I've got an annoying problem. Durung calling when it is "connect" right before the partner pick it up it vibrates very agressively (as it is normai by this phone) I can not find any option or setting to turn it off. Has anybody solution for it to kill? It is absolutely stock, not rooted, under warranty. I've tried to turn off notificatons - vibratons by telephone app in settings/applications and alerts but not helped Thanks
    01-07-2019 02:27 PM
    Did you try Phone > the three dots at top right > Settings > Sounds and vibration > remove the mark for 'Also vibrate for calls'?
    01-07-2019 02:41 PM
    yep, it is not checked, but I think it is related to vibration when ringtone is on. So no effect for my problem.
    01-07-2019 02:46 PM
    Android Auto is also affected... it crashes and the phone reboots as the car try to connect.
    Is there an easy way to roll back to nougat where everything was normal and useable?
    01-07-2019 03:02 PM
    Well, 'Also vibrate for calls' is exactly for that - to make a vibration when the other side pick up. I use my phone with a mark for 'Also vibrate for calls' and that is why I haven't noticed any difference after the Oreo update. I think this should be considered as a bug. My advice is to write to CAT support and to describe to them that 'Also vibrate for calls' does not work as expected.

About Android Auto I cannot tell any thing because I don't use it. As other people have the same problem, it also may be considered as a bug. And you may write to CAT support for that problem, too.

CAT released a fix for the problem with SD card formatted with exFAT which appeared with one of the previous updates. If more people write to them I suppose they will release fixes for these new problems, too.
    01-07-2019 03:27 PM
    Thanks for your reply - I wrote them on they site
    https://www.catphones.com/en-us/help-support/contact/
    01-07-2019 03:32 PM
    As far as I know there is not a way back to Android 7.
    01-07-2019 03:36 PM
    here is the CATsupport official reply to my query:
    "In regard to your query, please be advised that the notifications and excessive vibrations were implemented by Android for Android 8. There aren't any ways to disable these entirely which we apologise for but we have brought this to the attention of our superiors who confirmed this was related to the Android.

We apologise for being unable to assist you on how to disable this."

I didn't get any information about AA problems so far.
    01-09-2019 02:10 PM
    Android Auto is also affected... it crashes and the phone reboots as the car try to connect.
    Is there an easy way to roll back to nougat where everything was normal and useable?
    to make AA work after Oreo update you have to do the following before starting AA on car:
    1. enable developer settings on phone - this will make a new option called developer options to appear in settings menu under System
    2. enter developer options and search for simulate secondary displays (should be none)
    3. enter the option and choose 480p - this will make a small window to appear on your screen
    4. start AA

after stopping AA, do steps 2 and 3 but in 3 choose none to make the small window dissappear
    lacz_hu likes this.
    01-24-2019 04:08 AM
    Huh, another catphone user! I have the S30 and to be honest I don't really like it. Yes, it's tough, yes you can get it pretty wet (5 metres allegedly) and it's certainly tough!
    The bloody software is a watered down version of Marshmallow, the thing destroyed me media in my SD card, and you need a bloody app for even the most basic things.
    I never managed to be able to play music on it... Cat ppl were not interested in any issues I had at all.... Not a happy customer
    01-24-2019 05:08 AM
    I have also problems with this new update to Android 8.0 on my S41.
    Android auto doesnt works and also i can not make photos using Whatsappp.

I had send a lot of e-mails to cat support but they always answer with "we are working on it".

Its horrible that they dont make tests on the phone before send everybody the update. Also is horrible that we can not downgrade to version before....
    01-25-2019 08:27 AM
27 12