Quick Poll Re. "Optimal" Screen Size

Optimal Screen Size

• Total voters

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
While I know there is no absolute right or wrong answer here I was wondering what most of you think.

I think most of us can pretty much agree that 3.5" or 3.7" screens are too small.

The real heat is in the 4.0" vs. 4.3" debate.

I find 4.3" phones to be too physically large for daily handheld use. For me, 4.0" is the sweet spot.

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
My Droid Incredible's 3.7 inch screen suits me just fine, to be honest. Maybe I just have small hands but I've never felt the need for a bigger screen. In fact I played with a Droid Charge dummy unit at my local Target not long ago and found it to be too big and bulky for my liking. The screen was too wide and it made trying to use the phone too awkward. My Dinc fits nicely in my hand, fits perfectly in my pocket, and the 3.7 inch screen just works for me. I wouldn't object to a 4 inch screen like the Dinc2 has, but I wouldn't want to go much larger then that.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
My wife would tell you that 3.5 or 3.75 are better hands down. As for myself, I've lived with (and greatly enjoyed) a 4.3" screen on my DX for almost a year and still cannot say whether I prefer 4.3 or 4.0. Part of it is dependent on the size of the rest of the phone - phones with a similar screen size are not all created equal in terms of total size/weight and ergonomics.

Of course that's the great thing about Android... we get to pick ;)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I would probably say 4" over the 4.3". That .3" really makes a big difference and considering I keep the phone in my pocket often the extra size does become bothersome. Ideally, 3.7 would be the sweet spot for me.

Chrisy

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
4.3 works for. I carry my device in my pocket with an extended battery with no problem. Average size hands, for a woman. Love the bigger screen for viewing and typing!

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
My Droid Incredible's 3.7 inch screen suits me just fine, to be honest. Maybe I just have small hands but I've never felt the need for a bigger screen. In fact I played with a Droid Charge dummy unit at my local Target not long ago and found it to be too big and bulky for my liking. The screen was too wide and it made trying to use the phone too awkward. My Dinc fits nicely in my hand, fits perfectly in my pocket, and the 3.7 inch screen just works for me. I wouldn't object to a 4 inch screen like the Dinc2 has, but I wouldn't want to go much larger then that.
+1 My sentiments exactly.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the Epic right now and I feel like the screen is a little too small and I can afford the .3 inches of extra screen real estate. It would definitely be more useful since I do a lot of web browsing. Once I started browsing on my Epic, it made browsing on my iPod unbearable; I can' t imaginge how I'm going to use my iPod after getting a 4.3 inch phone :p

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
its really personal preference. you got big hands? you want a bigger phone... got small hands, you want a smaller phone.

tis why there are so many different flavors of icecream

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
After the DX, I thought a smaller screen would be a major loss. However, in playing around with an iP4's 3.7 (?) screen, the reduced size doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference. I DID have to enlarge the type size via Accessibility settings, but in the end, it worked OK. So, I would think a 4-inch screen would be ideal. I love the X, but its size puts it into the mini-tablet category --- which may not be all that bad! Just how you look at things.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Phone Arena is doing the same poll but allowing people to also consider 3.5" and smaller phones as well as larger phones:

What is the perfect smartphone display size for you?

Here are there results from about 4,000 readers so far:

attachment.php

Vote in their poll if you haven't yet.