12-12-2018 06:56 AM
60 123
tools
    my Honor 8 is now my backup device/casting machine. still love that little phone.
    I love mine too! My boyfriend is using it now so I still see it a lot; but I miss it more when I see it.
    06-26-2018 01:36 PM
    I have a collection of my parent's old phones that I use as either props in movies or just backup phones.

I use my mom's old Galaxy Note 4 as an MP3 player.
    Morty2264 and kct1975 like this.
    06-28-2018 09:14 PM
    I have a collection of my parent's old phones that I use as either props in movies or just backup phones.

I use my mom's old Galaxy Note 4 as an MP3 player.
    Those are good ways to get use out of them - good for you!
    kct1975 likes this.
    06-28-2018 10:24 PM
    Currently sitting on a Note 3, 4, and 5 that aren't active. I like using them for music or streaming video to the TV rather than using my active phone. Notifications during music playback drives me nuts.

Also play some games on them around the house, basically my phone is used as a phone and my old phone is my entertainment.
    Morty2264 and mwake4goten like this.
    06-29-2018 12:06 AM
    My feature phones sit and collect dust. Smartphones may serve as backups or sit and collect dust depending on their age.
    kct1975 likes this.
    07-02-2018 02:35 PM
    I've an iPhone 6s lying around as backup..don't really know what do with it, might just give to my grandmom haha
    Morty2264, kct1975 and Kimbob7169 like this.
    07-03-2018 01:15 AM
    Keep it as a backup or gave it to someone who wants it.
    Morty2264 and kct1975 like this.
    07-05-2018 03:10 AM
    Currently sitting on a Note 3, 4, and 5 that aren't active. I like using them for music or streaming video to the TV rather than using my active phone. Notifications during music playback drives me nuts.

Also play some games on them around the house, basically my phone is used as a phone and my old phone is my entertainment.
    You're right, notifications while you're listening to music are quite irksome! So that is a good plan you've made for yourself!
    kct1975 and Kimbob7169 like this.
    07-06-2018 11:21 AM
    I've an iPhone 6s lying around as backup..don't really know what do with it, might just give to my grandmom haha
    I'd like to get it for my 11yr old. If you'd be interested in selling, shoot me a PM.
    kct1975 likes this.
    07-06-2018 11:43 AM
    I always keep my old phones with me.
    07-07-2018 08:34 PM
    Hey man, thanks for the offer..but i think i'll keep it for now
    07-09-2018 10:50 PM
    Hey man, thanks for the offer..but i think i'll keep it for now
    No problem
    07-11-2018 03:58 AM
    I normally sell mine on Swappa or to a friend. The only used phone I have as a back up is an HTC M8 which is my favorite smartphone to date. I power it up from time to time just to go down memory lane .
    mwake4goten and Kimbob7169 like this.
    07-11-2018 08:21 AM
    I religiously keep all my old phones (and other peoples if they don't want them!). Truth is I need them. I decided to get into Android app development in my spare time, and having as many different phones as possible is really useful. Different screen sizes, different versions of android, some are fast, some not so fast, but all useful.

I currently have: OnePlus 5 (current phone), Nexbit Robin, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 10, LG Leon and a (very old) ZTE Blade.

...but that means I have Android Oreo (8.1 and 8.0), Nougat (7.1, 7.0), Marshmallow (6.0), Lollipop (5.1 and 5.0) and Kitkat (4.4). This covers testing for 95% of all android phones in use at the moment. Can you believe Nougat and Oreo only account for about 26% of all android users!

It is actually really surprising that one phone can cause a bug that all others don't. Drives you nuts sometimes, so it's better to have as many as possible.
    07-12-2018 03:34 PM
    I religiously keep all my old phones (and other peoples if they don't want them!). Truth is I need them. I decided to get into Android app development as in my spare time, and having as many different phones as possible is really useful. Different screen sizes, different versions of android, some are fast, some not so fast, but all useful.

I currently have: OnePlus 5 (current phone), Nexbit Robin, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5, Nexus 4, Nexus 10, LG Leon and a (very old) ZTE Blade.

...but that means I have Android Oreo (8.1 and 8.0), Nougat (7.1, 7.0), Marshmallow (6.0), Lollipop (5.1 and 5.0) and Kitkat (4.4). This covers testing for 95% of all android phones in use at the moment. Can you believe Nougat and Oreo only account for about 26% of all android users!

It is actually really surprising that one phone can cause a bug that all others don't. Drives you nuts sometimes, so it's better to have as many as possible.
    Wow, what a great way to utilize all of your old phones (as well as other people's!)! Good for you!

And whoah, I didn't know that statistic! I thought it'd be way more than that!
    kct1975 likes this.
    07-13-2018 07:55 AM
    I have a Nexus 5X as a backup. It has a partial charge on it, and I turn it on once a month to update, and potentially top up a little.
    07-13-2018 10:22 AM
    I usually keep 1 for backup, but I sell the others. I go through LOTS of phones. Right now I have an iPhone 7 Plus, OnePlus 6, and an LG V30. iPhone and OP6 have SIMs, and I use the V30 for backup OR to pop in my Google Daydream, although more often I use a Oculus Go for VR. Really thinking about selling the V30, maybe WITH the Daydream thrown in! lol
    07-13-2018 10:32 AM
    I normally sell mine on Swappa or to a friend. The only used phone I have as a back up is an HTC M8 which is my favorite smartphone to date. I power it up from time to time just to go down memory lane .
    I read this comment on my HTC One M8 lol. Great phone. I basically just use it as my entertainment device playing games at home and movies and music. This tactic helps to preserve the longevity of my battery of my main phone HTC 10.

Sad that HTC have abandoned the audiophile focused angle, so my next one will probably be LG V40 when ever that is released.
    07-13-2018 04:25 PM
    Gave to my mom.
    mr_master and Morty2264 like this.
    07-19-2018 07:26 AM
    Gave to my mom.
    That was nice of you! What kind of phone did she receive?
    07-22-2018 08:12 PM
    That was nice of you! What kind of phone did she receive?
    Lenovo A600 Plus. She's new to smartphones and I'm explaining things to her almost everyday lol

That phone had problem with android update. It came with preinstalled android kitkat & when phone notified me for system update (lolipop) and did it, faced one big bad bug. Wifi which I was using almost all the time was keeping disconnected and reconnected all the time. It wasn't stable and couldn't find fix. Then I downloaded old kitkat build, installed on sd card and went back to kitkat and since that there's still kitlat. Lenovo support is horrible and that phone never even got any more android updates besides that bugged lolipop lol. After that I decided to never ever touch Lenovo devices.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-23-2018 02:56 AM
    Lenovo A600 Plus. She's new to smartphones and I'm explaining things to her almost everyday lol

That phone had problem with android update. It came with preinstalled android kitkat & when phone notified me for system update (lolipop) and did it, faced one big bad bug. Wifi which I was using almost all the time was keeping disconnected and reconnected all the time. It wasn't stable and couldn't find fix. Then I downloaded old kitkat build, installed on sd card and went back to kitkat and since that there's still kitlat. Lenovo support is horrible and that phone never even got any more android updates besides that bugged lolipop lol. After that I decided to never ever touch Lenovo devices.
    That's good that you've moved onto a device that you like better! I've never used a Lenovo phone before - I like their laptops, though!
    Jaba Chutlashvili likes this.
    07-23-2018 06:39 AM
    I was wondering - what do you do with your old phone after buying a new one? Do you reuse it for something else? Do you keep it as a backup phone? Do you give it someone else? Or do you just throw it away or keep in a box/closet?

I myself tend to find a new use for it. I use one of my old phones as kind of a media player by installing TuneIn radio, Google Play Music and YouTube. The screen isn't all that great, but sound quality is good for podcasts, music and YouTube videos where the video itself isn't as important as the audio. Another old phone has an IR blaster so it's a good remote control for various set-top boxes and the TV. It's also great for controlling VLC and Kodi by installing VLC Mobile Remote and Kore.
    Another use I saw somewhere is as a navigation system in your car. You just install Android Auto, maybe buy a car phone mount and you're good to go.
    Pass it down to a kid, or set it up with kids games for the grandkids.
    07-27-2018 09:12 PM
    Normally I keep all of them. I recently tried to sell two of my S7 Edge phones, my Note 8 and a few iPhones. All I got was lowball offers so I figured I would just keep the phones.

We have a guy at my job who was in prison for a while and has been doing some good things in his life and even got his monitor taken off and is proving he's a good guy in everything he does. He didn't even have a smart phone so I figured I would give him one of my unlocked S7 Edge phones. He's gotten it activated and got a nice screen protector and he babies the thing and he's just enjoying every second of that phone. That has made me happy knowing that even though I couldn't sell the phone, giving it to someone who is so appreciative of it is far more worth then any money I could have gotten for it. I gave him the box, all unopened brand new headset, cord and charger so it was basically a brand new phone for him including a case.

I wouldn't mind finding other people like this near me who could use a phone.
    That was a wonderful gesture on your part. He will pay it forward, I'm sure. He sounds very appreciative.
    07-27-2018 09:13 PM
    Normally I keep all of them. I recently tried to sell two of my S7 Edge phones, my Note 8 and a few iPhones. All I got was lowball offers so I figured I would just keep the phones.

We have a guy at my job who was in prison for a while and has been doing some good things in his life and even got his monitor taken off and is proving he's a good guy in everything he does. He didn't even have a smart phone so I figured I would give him one of my unlocked S7 Edge phones. He's gotten it activated and got a nice screen protector and he babies the thing and he's just enjoying every second of that phone. That has made me happy knowing that even though I couldn't sell the phone, giving it to someone who is so appreciative of it is far more worth then any money I could have gotten for it. I gave him the box, all unopened brand new headset, cord and charger so it was basically a brand new phone for him including a case.

I wouldn't mind finding other people like this near me who could use a phone.
    Wow, what a wonderful gesture! I'm sure he really appreciates it and your kindness towards him.
    kct1975 likes this.
    07-28-2018 11:58 AM
60 123