Is a screen protector really necessary?

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I buy the tempered glass for my new phone before the phone itself. For the last few years I've buying Nillkin for all my phones, excellent quality and reasonable price.
No way I'm going to use a phone without tempered glass, they all eventually get micro scratches, to say the least.

Penny111

Jul 21, 2018
Visit site
Have a Pixel 2XL for 7 months now. not a mark on it. Have never used a screen protector on a phone for 10 years.
I practically live on my phone everyday.
Do use a case with a screen bumper edge.

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
Son dropped S7 in flip case from sofa arm rest to metal lamp base (0.5m fall).
Flip open (always on screen OCD 🤔).
Screen first. The screen cracked but still works (maybe with some glitches in touch).

No bumper case would have helped here. Stick with screen protector, closed case, good luck or deep pockets 😉

Personally I curse Huawei/Horor cheaper phones for using 'window glass' (tempered glass fixes that) and every manufacturer for curved edges 😂

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I've used the Zagg on the s7 and needed the free replacement 3 times. But no phone damage.
Got an s8 active, had it with me while I was working on a ladder. It fell face flat on a gravel drive and cracked the glass protector I installed. No phone damage.
Everyone's needs and tastes are different, but I'm glad I had mine on. A few times.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I dropped my phone on some rocks once getting out of my car... the glass screen protector took the brunt of it while my phone remained completely fine. I was using my iPhone without a protector for a while, went to wipe it off and I had some sand or dirt on my shirt that perma-scratched the screen. Fortunately iPhone 5 series screens are cheap and easy to replace.

I prefer screen protectors on my phones... for this reason I prefer flat screens too. Just seems easier to apply the protector.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a need for screen protectors for the past three or four phones I've used. I am just too clumsy and paranoid to not have one.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I just installed my new tempered glass screen protector on my Pixel 2. The installation process was a little annoying because I wanted it to be perfect; but now that it's on I'm really loving the glass feel. I'm hoping it will protect my phone well.

samijain1

Jul 31, 2018
Visit site
Screen protection really helps whenever your phone drops which may be upside down which won't create a scratch on the screen and specially for iphones it is realy helpful

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I just installed my new tempered glass screen protector on my Pixel 2. The installation process was a little annoying because I wanted it to be perfect; but now that it's on I'm really loving the glass feel. I'm hoping it will protect my phone well.
Which tempered glass did you get? I've been looking for a good one for the Pixel 2.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Which tempered glass did you get? I've been looking for a good one for the Pixel 2.

I am really loving this tempered glass screen protector thus far! To be honest though, I don't normally look at big brand names - I just look for protectors that have good reviews and seem to match my personal needs.

The installation of this one was a little tricky only because I had some dust on the sticky side of the glass; so I had to maybe reapply it three or four times to my phone to get it right. But I love how it feels when I type on my phone! It feels like I'm actually using the glass screen and not a protector. Plus, the fact that it has the black borders for my screen also means that the black areas are protected against scratches.

I'm very impressed with this screen protector thus far. Also, it is advertised to be able to withstand eleven pounds - not that I've tested that theory - but it's nice to see that. And I got an inspection stamp of approval in the box, so I knew the protector was ready to go.

I feel way more confident and comfortable leaving my phone in my purse, or screen side down. It's very nice.

Again, it's not a big brand name; but it does the job and does the job well. And it feels premium for the $14 I spent on it.

Attachments

• 21529.jpg
    21529.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 22

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I am really loving this tempered glass screen protector thus far! To be honest though, I don't normally look at big brand names - I just look for protectors that have good reviews and seem to match my personal needs.

The installation of this one was a little tricky only because I had some dust on the sticky side of the glass; so I had to maybe reapply it three or four times to my phone to get it right. But I love how it feels when I type on my phone! It feels like I'm actually using the glass screen and not a protector. Plus, the fact that it has the black borders for my screen also means that the black areas are protected against scratches.

I'm very impressed with this screen protector thus far. Also, it is advertised to be able to withstand eleven pounds - not that I've tested that theory - but it's nice to see that. And I got an inspection stamp of approval in the box, so I knew the protector was ready to go.

I feel way more confident and comfortable leaving my phone in my purse, or screen side down. It's very nice.

Again, it's not a big brand name; but it does the job and does the job well. And it feels premium for the $14 I spent on it.
Thanks! I'll have to try that tempered glass and see if it works with my cases.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Let me know how it goes!
I've been using that tempered glass you recommended for the past couple days. It did take some patience to apply but was definitely worth it. Looks really good and feels like glass which is nice. No halo or loose edges. Very happy with it so far. Thanks!

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I sold my old s7 without any scratches. I kept it screen protector free and would put on a 10$ plastic film before I went on beach holidays as I know that if there is one thing that will scratch a glass screen its sand. Sold it after 2 years without a even a micro micro scratch. I honestly think covering glass on a curved screen ruins the experience. Just make sure a case has top and bottom lips so you can at least place it upside down on a table and get insurance for catastrophes.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
So I can confirm today that a screen protector won't save your screen. I dropped my phone up 2 inches softly and it broke. How do you drop a phone up you ask? You accidently tip it off the edge of the counter and then with lightning fast reflexes you catch it but follow through by bringing it up a bit. My case has a head and chin lip but I came against the side of the bottom of the counter sideways. It was over in 0.01 seconds and was a complete non even except it broke the edge of the screen. I couldn't believe such a soft blow would cause this.

Kinda rethinking my attitude about cases now. Thinking full front cover?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been using that tempered glass you recommended for the past couple days. It did take some patience to apply but was definitely worth it. Looks really good and feels like glass which is nice. No halo or loose edges. Very happy with it so far. Thanks!

I'm so glad that you are enjoying it! It was definitely a bit tedious to apply - I think I had to reapply mine at least four times to get it right or to take off smudges on the sticky side - but the premium feel of the protector is so nice! It has definitely changed the quality of my phone experience. Tapping what feels like glass is very nice. And I feel better about leaving my phone face-down now!

overcookedcoffle

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Do you really need a screen protector if you have sturdy case with a outwards protrusion that protects the screen as well? I believe screen protectors are just a fad and kind of ruin the display. What do ya guys think?

I use tempered glass, and I can say it's effective for it had protected my phone twice (clumsy me).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon