Chromebook or tablet?

skelms

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I am curious about purchasing a 2 in 1 style chromebook, budget of around $500 and thinking of getting an asus flip, because I want something small and portable similar to a 9-10 inch tablet.
With android apps it makes it a lot more friendly to gaming, but little SDcard support for android on chrome. it's hard to find smaller screen chromebooks with more than 32 gigs of storage.
But I could install linux on the sdcard and do a bit of dualbooting, but unsure how finicky steam on a chromebook would be.
I use linux on my desktop and do some steam gaming and have a bunch of steam games, and curious about trying out some linux distros but not sure how much time I will want to put towards that.
This year android tablets around 8-10 inches options are limitied, only samsung or amazon HD kindle spark my interest.

Inkdnaija

Aug 12, 2018
Visit site
I am curious about purchasing a 2 in 1 style chromebook, budget of around $500 and thinking of getting an asus flip, because I want something small and portable similar to a 9-10 inch tablet.
With android apps it makes it a lot more friendly to gaming, but little SDcard support for android on chrome. it's hard to find smaller screen chromebooks with more than 32 gigs of storage.
But I could install linux on the sdcard and do a bit of dualbooting, but unsure how finicky steam on a chromebook would be.
I use linux on my desktop and do some steam gaming and have a bunch of steam games, and curious about trying out some linux distros but not sure how much time I will want to put towards that.
This year android tablets around 8-10 inches options are limitied, only samsung or amazon HD kindle spark my interest.

Which one did you buy

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I originally got the Lenovo 2-N-1 11" chromebook but just got this of it for the Samsung Chromebook Plus W/Pen because of the slimmer design and better screen. I absolutely love it so far. I went through a few laptops trying to find the right one. the Samsung was the perfect choice to go with my Note 9. I will be using both devices daily.

AleC Games

Feb 11, 2019
Visit site
Both can run a version of Microsoft Office (although it will depend on what Chromebook you have), and both can also run the Google suite of office apps. Both also have excellent battery life. It is your choice.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was considering a Chromebook for a time but the fact that there isn't a USB port makes me wary.

Which Chromebook? Most if not all Chromebooks have USB ports, but not necessarily USB-A ports (e.g., the Pixelbook only has 2 USB-C ports). Or are you talking about broader USB support for things like optical drives?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I was considering a Chromebook for a time but the fact that there isn't a USB port makes me wary.

I've yet to see a chromebook without USB so I'm a bit confused by this statement. Some only have USB C but the same is true for Microsoft and Windows. I think even Apple did the same.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry guys, I'm not very well versed in the realm of computers! I was looking at one and a friend told me that they do not have the USB support for things like, say, printers or external hardware. Perhaps it was a specific Chromebook that I was looking at, or something along those lines.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You're right, Chromebooks don't have as wide a range of USB device support compared to PCs. They're primarily for flash drives and input devices. Printer support will probably never come -- Chromebooks rely on Cloud Print.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You're right, Chromebooks don't have as wide a range of USB device support compared to PCs. They're primarily for flash drives and input devices. Printer support will probably never come -- Chromebooks rely on Cloud Print.

Thank you for clearing that up for me! I'll do a little more research on them, as they still intrigue me as something I'd make good use of.

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I have an HP wireless printer. it connects right away through Wifi as soon as I turned the printer on. no configuration needed. That seemed to be the best option for me.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a acer chromebook 14. so far ive used the usb and hdmi ports to support ethernet, printers, and projectors. Also its really nice to be able to use android apps on the chrome OS. The only thing im not to happy about is it supporting wifi and bt tethering but not USB tethering b/c wifi and bt tethering deplete the battery faster. YMMV

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a acer chromebook 14. so far ive used the usb and hdmi ports to support ethernet, printers, and projectors. Also its really nice to be able to use android apps on the chrome OS. The only thing im not to happy about is it supporting wifi and bt tethering but not USB tethering b/c wifi and bt tethering deplete the battery faster. YMMV

Wow, I wasn't aware that USB printing was possible! But this article says it's only with certain brands, and you have to install a Chrome extension: https://www.chromebookhq.com/how-to-print-from-chromebook-via-usb/. Which printer do you have?

Hey @Morty2264, I was wrong about USB printing!:'(

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I stand corrected. Dont remember the brand/model of my fathers printer but used google cloud print over wifi not usb.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Oh wow! That's so cool!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder when this happened? Back when I first started getting into Chromebooks, I remember that this was one of the deficiencies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2