For long term do you think Apple is better than Android?

Nick00789

Sep 24, 2018
Visit site
The S8 will probably get the android P and after that Samsung will not care to update it's software,meanwhile I think the iphone 8 released the same year will get support at least 5 years after it's release combined with those more powerful chips I think the Iphone 8 will still be a good phone to use for everyday use.

I am thinking that for long term Iphones are better what's the point of buying an expensive phone where I will get only 3 major updates?Yes I will pay more for iphones but they will last me longer.

What are your thoughts?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome. :)

I have an iPhone 4s which is almost unusably slow on iOS 9.3.5.
I have a Nexus 5 which remains as smooth and fast on Android 6.1 as it was when new.
What conclusions could be drawn, I don’t know, but I’m just giving that as a practical example in my own case, for what it may be worth.

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
Buggy iOS updates are a problem, but going to updates every two years is supposed to end the problem.

If you read SamMobile, you would know Samsung has major update improvements coming.

But, regarding Android OS upgrades in general... They really aren't important. There are no apps you can't use on older versions of Android OS

Seriously, it is the apps that matter... The underlying sub menu nuts and bolts of Android OS are far less important.

I'll take the customization choices Android offers over Apple iOS every day.

The Google suite of apps are far superior to Apple.

Final thought... Be aware of the power of marketing. Apple is in the middle of their strong marketing push for their new phones. But Android phones like the Note 9 are superior.

Five years of updates? Who cares? Most people upgrade to new phones every two to four years.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think they would be equal.

The oldest iPhone that can be run reliable that I have is a 5S on iOS 10 and although it's slow compared to todays phones, it can still do it's job. I could update it to iOS 12 but I don't think it's worth using as a phone as it is today. It will still be slower then todays phones even with iOS 12.

I also have a Note 4/Note Edge and both of these still work perfectly today. They can easily compete with my Note 9/iPhone 8+.

I don't think taking in account that iOS gets updates much longer is something to keep me from switching to Android exclusively in the future as I plan to do. People just like to use that as a reason they think iOS is better.

My old Note 4/Note Edge phones were rooted pretty much from the second week I owned them until I put them in a drawer several months ago and I was never once worried about them being secure. Since they were rooted, it meant they no longer received security updates. I think the ROM I used was on a security update from somewhere around 2016. I would still feel safe using those phones today.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Either can work depending on the phone. I mean I have a buddy whose gf just got rid of her S3. It "worked" but ehhh.

iPhones are, to me, better in this regard.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
The S8 will probably get the android P and after that Samsung will not care to update it's software,meanwhile I think the iphone 8 released the same year will get support at least 5 years after it's release combined with those more powerful chips I think the Iphone 8 will still be a good phone to use for everyday use.

I am thinking that for long term Iphones are better what's the point of buying an expensive phone where I will get only 3 major updates?Yes I will pay more for iphones but they will last me longer.

What are your thoughts?
My experience of iPhones is that they don't last the full 5 years anyway. Batteries are shocking and need replacing after about a year and Apple has been known to cripple older phones with updates. They often bring out new features in an update that will not work on older phones and may disable previously working features in that older phone. My iPad 1 was obsolete within 2 years and became a very expensive paperweight within 3 years. THAT was a waste of money. My friend had an iPad 2 and although it went to ios 10 it lost a LOT of functionality. With Apple you upgrade an older device at your peril.

snorske

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
The biggest two flaws in Android phone for me:

1. Messages
2. USB-C audio

Messages is a joke. Besides all friends and family complaining I'm not on iMessage, I have nothing but issues with sending and receiving on Messages. It works maybe half the time on my Motorola, badly compresses videos and pictures.. Getting Americans to use something besides the stock messaging apps iMessage or Messages is like pulling teeth, despite the fact that there are loads of great Apps that work way better like WhatsApp, KakaoTalk, Facebook Messenger, Signal etc.

This article sums of the mess that is USB-C audio. Motorola and Sony cables not working with Pixels? Ridiculous. I appreciate the Korean companies continuing to keep the 3.5mm headphone jack, but once that inevitably goes away, who knows?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
In my own, biased and personal opinion, and based on my own needs, Android is a better long-term solution for me. I like having periodical software updates (so I have a Google phone); I need to be able to customize my phone to my liking very frequently; and I need to know that the phone I'm using has the features I need to make it last for the long term.

I also look for things like affordability with accessories; and don't like that you can only use Apple-branded products with iPhones. I also do not like the iOS software and know I'd get bored with it very quickly; so I know Android would serve me better in the long run.

I am sure that this answer will differ from person to person. It's a very subjective choice and we will all have a particular reason for that choice. Great thread topic!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Messages is a joke. Besides all friends and family complaining I'm not on iMessage

That's their problem, not yours. THEY are the ones that chose to rely on a protocol proprietary to a single device manufacturer. Their choice shouldn't dictate yours. If everyone that knows someone using an iPhone was forced by that iPhone person to switch, everyone would be on iPhones (which is what Apple wants, in all honesty).

badly compresses videos and pictures

That's a limitation of the SMS/MMS protocol. When RCS rolls out to all carriers this should be resolved. Meantime - put the media on a sharing site and send a link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21