Anyone else seen this? Apple to become more controlling.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I honestly see nothing wrong with this at all, if anything it's probably a great move on Apple's part to continue to build strong partnerships. If you're in a place like a museum that forbids pictures of certain exhibits, you should not be taking pictures. The article, and your thread title, are written in a slightly misleading way.

Honestly I wish someone would build a feature into a phone that connects to a movie theathre database and when in those locations instantly locks the phone with a message on the screen that says "Watch the damn movie and stop annoying the people around you".

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
What's wrong with it is that it's another company treating they're customers like potrntial criminals instead of valued customers. Epic fail, Apple.

Sent from my HTC Droid Nexus with Tapatalk.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't bother me if people text or browse at the movies, so long as they keep the phone low. It's all the damn talking, on the phone or otherwise, that makes me want to hurt someone.

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Its not right, if someone one to text at the movies they can but if there asked to stop, they will probably stop. They don't need apple stepping in.

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
So this means that if you are at a concert and you want to take a picture of your friend next to you with the bands tshirt, the phone will deny it? This is just stupid.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
And the first customers of this tech will be police/sheriff departments. A small transmitter on the uniform somewhere, and no more of those pesky videos that show inappropriate behavior.

Reactions: threed61#WN

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I bet they're looking to use this as a NFC-type technology. It sounds like a good alternative, with greater range and without the battery drain of bluetooth.

I don't see Apple using it for this kind of situation. They wouldn't want to alienate a large portion of their user base (who I guarantee would drop iOS ASAP if they were restricted from taking pictures somewhere).

Of course, the other response if they did pull this: God forbid we have to use actual cameras to take pictures :p.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I foresee this more as Apple making a move into enterprise/corporate business. When/If Apple decides to make a move into the corporate market, having the only device that has a camera, but is disabled in secure locations, would be a HUGE selling point. And with Apple owning the patent, the CEOs at RIM would have an apoplectic fit.

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
What happened to personal responsibility? Why should people accept our phones or apple deciding what we can or cannot film? Everyone knows your not suppose to film concerts. If they do it anyway now do you really think folks aren't going to find a work around. You should not punish everybody for a few few people's bad behavior.

Plus who has ever watched a cell phone recording of a concert on youtube and been like "that was so much better than actually seeing it in person. "

Dark Wizard Matoya

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
What happened to personal responsibility? Why should people accept our phones or apple deciding what we can or cannot film? Everyone knows your not suppose to film concerts. If they do it anyway now do you really think folks aren't going to find a work around. You should not punish everybody for a few few people's bad behavior.

Plus who has ever watched a cell phone recording of a concert on youtube and been like "that was so much better than actually seeing it in person. "

Exactly. I hate being treated like a criminal when I haven't actually done anything wrong. And the people who really want to record at concerts and other such events will find a work around, like a simple piece of tape to block the infrared sensor. Or simply putting the phone in airplane mode.

And don't tell me that this technology won't be used by the police and others to stop the citizenry from recording them when they are doing something wrong, because it will. Hosni Mubarak would have loved to have had this technology during the recent protests/uprisings in Egypt.

It's kind of ironic to see the company that once blasted IBM for being "Big Brother" has become Big Brother themselves. They are becoming too arrogant and too greedy for they're own good. I would like to think that if Apple actually implemented this technology it would be the end of them, but it won't be. The iLemmings would just keep buying iDevices anyways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo