Anyone currently using a phone older than 2 years?

Mezzanine7

Jun 22, 2018
Visit site
I've heard quite a few people(mainly iphone users) tell me that the average lifespan of an Android device is 2 years and that iPhones last longer because of their consistent updates. As an Android user I would admit that Apple is probably better than some companies about their OTA updates some but in the long run I don't believe the iPhone is more durable. I also realize the Pixel 3 and the note 9 just came out but was curious to who is still using an older phone?

What device do you have? When was it released?

LG v10-October 2015, near perfect condition.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I've recently been switching my daily phones every 6-12 months but I had the Nexus 6 for over 2.5 years with no issues. My OnePlus 3T will be 2 years old next month. Still use it as a media device and backup to the Pixel 2 when I travel. I did take a short break from the Pixel 2 to try out the Essential Phone. I'll probably keep the Pixel 2 as my daily phone at least through next year since it still runs great, looks new, will stay updated at least another year and has 13 months left on the 2 year warranty.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 7 Plus - Sept 2016

OnePlus 6 - May 2018

Owned LOTS of other Android phones in between. I change it up every few months, although I am really liking the OP6!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The Nexus 5 was released in October 2013 and I bought mine in March 2014. It was my first Android, and runs as well now as it did then.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I am currently using a Note 5.

Although the GPS has started having problems and it freezes up at times so I am looking at getting the new Note 9.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
S7, gonna keep it until it dies. Phones are boring anymore, just marginal improvements and nothing compelling to make me want to switch.

Mezzanine7

Jun 22, 2018
Visit site
I've recently been switching my daily phones every 6-12 months but I had the Nexus 6 for over 2.5 years with no issues. My OnePlus 3T will be 2 years old next month. Still use it as a media device and backup to the Pixel 2 when I travel. I did take a short break from the Pixel 2 to try out the Essential Phone. I'll probably keep the Pixel 2 as my daily phone at least through next year since it still runs great, looks new, will stay updated at least another year and has 13 months left on the 2 year warranty.

What was your impression of the Essential phone?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
What was your impression of the Essential phone?
The PH-1 was a mixed bag but I thought it it was a solid first phone from Essential. They nailed the design with the titanium frame, ceramic back, 5.7 inch screen in a relatively small phone and the more minimal notch. Definitely feels like a premium device. The screen looks really nice as long as it doesn't show much light bleed. Essential added some nice touches like the LED charging indicator turning green at 90% but they also made some weird decisions. Early on it seemed like beta software with a bunch of issues with the camera, scrolling lag, touch sensitivity issues, etc. Quality control was another problem. I went through at least 4 replacement phones for issues with Bluetooth, speaker grill falling out, screen light bleed and very bad cell reception.

Mezzanine7

Jun 22, 2018
Visit site
The PH-1 was a mixed bag but I thought it it was a solid first phone from Essential. They nailed the design with the titanium frame, ceramic back, 5.7 inch screen in a relatively small phone and the more minimal notch. Definitely feels like a premium device. The screen looks really nice as long as it doesn't show much light bleed. Essential added some nice touches like the LED charging indicator turning green at 90% but they also made some weird decisions. Early on it seemed like beta software with a bunch of issues with the camera, scrolling lag, touch sensitivity issues, etc. Quality control was another problem. I went through at least 4 replacement phones for issues with Bluetooth, speaker grill falling out, screen light bleed and very bad cell reception.

I heard about some issues with the camera that was supposed to have been fixed with the updates but just the issues you described would keep me away from it. It does have a nice look though. I heard rumors that Essential may not make another phone, don't know if that has any merit though

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
My daily driver is my OG Pixel 128GB purchased Nov 2016 and my back up is my favorite device of all time HTC One M8 which is currently 4 years old, I just love that phone, but had to go pixel for the camera improvements! I like what Google is doing with the pixel line, but not enough to upgrade this year, maybe next year

PixelTracer

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
I'm still using the OG Pixel that I purchased in December 2016 as my daily driver and the Moto Z Force Droid as my backup device.

I usually keep my phones until they die or if they stop supporting it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm still using the OG Pixel that I purchased in December 2016 as my daily driver and the Moto Z Force Droid as my backup device.

I usually keep my phones until they die or if they stop supporting it.

I really like the OG Pixel line. I was unsure about it in the beginning but I really like it now. Do you have the smaller Pixel or the XL?

PixelTracer

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
I really like the OG Pixel line. I was unsure about it in the beginning but I really like it now. Do you have the smaller Pixel or the XL?

The smaller one in Silver. I originally wanted the blue one but the Verizon representative told me that the only storage option available was 32 GB.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The smaller one in Silver. I originally wanted the blue one but the Verizon representative told me that the only storage option available was 32 GB.

Oh wow, I didn't know that Google did that with the original line. But Silver is very beautiful! I like the size of the smaller OG Pixel.

anon(10212606)

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Still regularly using my Samsung galaxy Note4, it has a cracked screen but it's my ingress phone. It's 4 years old now and it's still a very usable phone.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary