Anyone currently using a phone older than 2 years?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 7 Plus - Sept 2016

OnePlus 6 - May 2018

Owned LOTS of other Android phones in between. I change it up every few months, although I am really liking the OP6!

What's your favourite feature about the OnePlus 6? I've been wanting to get one since the 5 launched.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm planning to keep my V20 longer than two years (purchased on release day 2016). Every flagship since then has removed features I want, while not adding much in return. In effect, everything out there today would be a downgrade, not an upgrade.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I still have and use these phones .

Iphone SE : I think it was released Mar. 2016 ..... Purchased in June 2016 . (mainly use as a WiFi device ) Looks like new.

2016 Pixel (sailfish) : ordered on launch day Oct. 4 2016 , received Oct. 24 , 2016. (second line) Looks like new

I do have another phone on my main line but its just a year old

edit: Not sure when my next upgrade will be, maybe next year

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What's your favourite feature about the OnePlus 6? I've been wanting to get one since the 5 launched.

Interestingly since I posted this I have switched to a Vivo Nex S. BUT what I really loved about the OP6 are the gestures, and also the speed at which they put out updates. For example it has already received Android Pie.

The Vivo also has gestures, an in display fingerprint (its SO cool), and no notch!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Interestingly since I posted this I have switched to a Vivo Nex S. BUT what I really loved about the OP6 are the gestures, and also the speed at which they put out updates. For example it has already received Android Pie.

The Vivo also has gestures, an in display fingerprint (its SO cool), and no notch!

Wow, that's pretty cool! Ah yes, I have heard that OP gets quick updates. And the gestures sound so awesome! Does the 6 still have an alert slider? That was one reason why I really wanted the 5/5T.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Wow, that's pretty cool! Ah yes, I have heard that OP gets quick updates. And the gestures sound so awesome! Does the 6 still have an alert slider? That was one reason why I really wanted the 5/5T.

Yea, the alert slider is one of their trademark, or iconic features. I also love that and the only thing that comes close is Apple on/off mute switch. BUT the alert slider is SO much more advanced with 3 settings that each can be customized. :)

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I are still on our Motorola X Pure's from fall 2015. Looking at options now as the battery life is shot on both and they are getting glitchy.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yea, the alert slider is one of their trademark, or iconic features. I also love that and the only thing that comes close is Apple on/off mute switch. BUT the alert slider is SO much more advanced with 3 settings that each can be customized. :)

AW MAN now I really want a OnePlus phone! Although the Google Pixel 2's sound settings is now very easy to customize - all I gotta do is press the volume button to change my sound settings.

PixelTracer

Jun 4, 2018
Visit site
Too be honest I think it was the most complete phone samsung ever released.
Mine has been abused so much playing ingress but I still love it and will keep it until it dies.

Wait, You play Ingress? I loved that game! Are you part of the Enlightened or Resistance?

Anyways, I had a Galaxy Note 4 as well. I used mine from August 2016 until sometime last month when it's issues started getting worse and it refused to turn on anymore. :(

anon(10212606)

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Wait, You play Ingress? I loved that game! Are you part of the Enlightened or Resistance?

Anyways, I had a Galaxy Note 4 as well. I used mine from August 2016 until sometime last month when it's issues started getting worse and it refused to turn on anymore. :(

Yes I still play and I am a smurf 😁.
Sorry your Note4 died 😢

neuronton

May 28, 2016
Visit site
IPhones are the ones that get updates so much due to their terrible security and don't take my word you can try asking siri how many times this year Security and severe threats have dogged iOS this year and if she answers hopefully she isn't a liar and you'll hear why the updates come. They put my relatives over data limits due to so many before and boom something stupid apple didnt do right cost you another 40 bucks due to its inability to have even as beginner ish as it is...stop the unwanted and unhealthy data usage without warning. Just one of... how many was it that got hacked.. or I saw got hacked.. you have so many more versions of android so many more phones so many more locations with Android and people using way more possible methods to have security issues do to sheer volume and end of life. More androids obviously as well.. hundreds of os variants. You haven't had those issues occur where you can open Google and see the list of how bad they are being exploited. Android. Security hadn't reached mobile to the safety level of a standard to secure itself yet. until the agreement of an arrangement to commit to basic protocol rendered and agreed as a standard which would conclude sufficient and universal following the same way to deal with security its Apple vs Google vs whoever wants to gimmick an insecure way to make you think I can't hack any of the locks whereas it's easy for just about all slightly knowledgeable... that's the issues where we're dealing with one up man ship trying to make Apple seem to be having more better things than it's rival.. and let's hope they can stop the rush and worry of security.. or did anyone forget Facebooks multiple hacks too despite their claim of privacy. if you don't agree I bet you never had your id stolen or else you'd realize you can't live with permanent harm, losses unimaginable and debt the only way to prolong your way to live before being sued for something you didn't pay for but owe in full

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
My wife and I are still on our Motorola X Pure's from fall 2015. Looking at options now as the battery life is shot on both and they are getting glitchy.

I was using my Moto X Pure daily up until a month and a half or so ago..... it's still running and battery working like new, but I'm very easy on phones and ocd about taking care of the batteries. I picked up a brand new og pixel I'm using now for my daily, it's working awesome on Pie and getting amazing battery life.

I'll be switching back and forth between the two until the pixel 2 comes down to half price or less......or maybe even wait till the 3 drops way down in price to buy my next phone ;-)

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I was using my Moto X Pure daily up until a month and a half or so ago..... it's still running and battery working like new, but I'm very easy on phones and ocd about taking care of the batteries. I picked up a brand new og pixel I'm using now for my daily, it's working awesome on Pie and getting amazing battery life.

I'll be switching back and forth between the two until the pixel 2 comes down to half price or less......or maybe even wait till the 3 drops way down in price to buy my next phone ;-)

I have an LG V40 arriving today. We'll see how that one works out. If I like it we'll probably get one for my wife after the price drops some more.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Just to add another post, I still use my Note 3 once in a while - September 2013, more than 5 years old. It didn't get any updates past 5.0.1, and because it's an AT&T, there;s no way to get a LineageOS on it, but it works as well as the day I got it (except for the battery - that had to be replaced once, but the postage was about as much as the battery). Rooted and all tricked out, 32GB of internal storage (no SD card at the moment, but I can pop any of several into it), and plenty of internal space left, even though I'm a software junkie.

Android phones last only 2 years? That's Apple hype. Not that iPhones don't last a long time, but try putting iOS 12 on an iPhone 4. Granted, some manufacturers of Android phones put out garbage (and probably all of them put out some cheap phones that don't last, but that's the individual model, not Android). And since Marshmallow, rooting any Android phone (which is important to me - how can you run Linux without being able to elevate to root?) is a bit trivial, thanks to Topjohnwu.

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Did your LG V40 arrive? Hope you are enjoying it! Keep us posted! :)

It finally arrived close to 8:00 last night during the Halloween madness so not much time to play with it. I've spent the better part of the day getting things moved over from the other phone and getting things in some sort of a basic setup but no customizations yet. I did find that my Swiftkey app was disabled and I wasn't able to set it up as the default keyboard. I ended up uninstalling and the reinstalling from the play store and all is good now.

I'll start checking out other peoples screens to see what they've done now that I'm at least functional.