Talking about FaceID.

I can admit when I'm wrong, I don't even take my own advice when I say YOU NEED TO LEARN TO ADAPT but I guess in self defense I focused on how overpriced the iPhone X was, still is.

I got a great deal on the 64GB XS Gold and only after few days I hate using the FPS on my Note 9 and P20 Pro. It just seems a lot of work...

Okay, I'm over exaggerating but you'll understand if you tried FaceID.

I now switched to Face Unlock but it's nowhere near what Apple had put into it.
    10-24-2018 04:19 PM
    Talking about FaceID.

I can admit when I'm wrong, I don't even take my own advice when I say YOU NEED TO LEARN TO ADAPT but I guess in self defense I focused on how overpriced the iPhone X was, still is.

I got a great deal on the 64GB XS Gold and only after few days I hate using the FPS on my Note 9 and P20 Pro. It just seems a lot of work...

Okay, I'm over exaggerating but you'll understand if you tried FaceID.

I now switched to Face Unlock but it's nowhere near what Apple had put into it.
    Got a Mate 20 Pro with similar Facial Recognition to the iPhone X, and yeah it's a lot faster, but I also have the In-screen Fingerprint Scanner, which is also great, all the biometrics are easy to access, whatever works first works first.

Enjoy your iPhone X.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-24-2018 04:52 PM
    I think it may also depend on the placement of the fingerprint scanner on the device. If it's where your finger would normally rest while picking up the phone, then unlocking is easier. But if it's at the bottom of the phone or elsewhere, then it may be more of a struggle, so to speak.
    10-26-2018 08:08 AM
    Can facial recognition work in the dark? If not, finger print scanner wins.
    10-26-2018 08:44 AM
    It sure does. Even pitch black.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-28-2018 08:17 PM
    It sure does. Even pitch black.
    Wow! How does it detect your face in the pitch blackness?
    10-28-2018 09:26 PM
    Wow! How does it detect your face in the pitch blackness?

Face ID uses infrared to scan your face, so it works in low lighting conditions and in the dark. The TrueDepth camera also has what Apple calls a "Flood Illuminator," aka an infrared light that illuminates your face in the dark so the dot map and the infrared camera can do their jobs.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-28-2018 09:30 PM
    Face ID uses infrared to scan your face, so it works in low lighting conditions and in the dark. The TrueDepth camera also has what Apple calls a "Flood Illuminator," aka an infrared light that illuminates your face in the dark so the dot map and the infrared camera can do their jobs.
    Oh cool! Thank you for explaining that!
    10-28-2018 09:32 PM
    Personally I think the FPS on the front home button like Apple/Samsung did for years was best. It spoiled me, easy unlock while flat on a desk and more than easy enough to place my finger on the FPS as I pulled the phone out of my pocket.
    10-29-2018 01:31 AM
    Yep. I laughed at Face ID when I first saw it. I then used an iPhone X and using an iPhone XS Max right now... and I can admit I was wrong. It is very convenient and not as bad as I thought it would be.
    10-29-2018 11:21 AM
    Yep. I can sit in a pitch black room and pull the iPhone up off the desk infront of me and it will instantly unlock. Face ID is way different then Facial Recognition on Android phones.
    10-29-2018 11:22 AM
    I'll stand corrected, then. Not that it'll be much of a selling point for me; I have other features much higher on my list of wants and needs anyway.
    10-29-2018 11:50 AM
    and many of you seem to be utterly wrong when you have the lack of experience in understanding security even to basics. fingerprints and facial recognizion and Bluetooth currently are not only not supported as any standard in any class by any group but they have not been accepted because of its insecurity. Please reference W3C for an idea of why I can say this and be able to write a paper but its all footnotes with a consortium of the heads from industry working to make a standard so you once again don't get hacked because you keep it coming for a reason.
    10-30-2018 11:39 AM
    Face ID, fingerprint, iris scanners, voice ID - all biometric ID, at this point, is subject to the same things: a) false ID and 2) failure to identify the legitimate owner. Fingerprint scan is about the best, because you have to find the person's fingerprint somewhere and make a cast of it. Face, voice and iris all fail, false positive or false negative, based on how they're done.

Ket's face it - until someone invents actual AI, we're going to have biometric ID that's catch as catch can - sometimes locking you out of your phone, sometimes letting someone into it.

Aside from in-screen fingerprint (which fails with most screen protectors), I'll stick to fingerprint for the moment. It's the least susceptible to false positive, and there's always a password or PIN backup.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-30-2018 12:27 PM
    Face ID, fingerprint, iris scanners, voice ID - all biometric ID, at this point, is subject to the same things: a) false ID and 2) failure to identify the legitimate owner. Fingerprint scan is about the best, because you have to find the person's fingerprint somewhere and make a cast of it. Face, voice and iris all fail, false positive or false negative, based on how they're done.

Ket's face it - until someone invents actual AI, we're going to have biometric ID that's catch as catch can - sometimes locking you out of your phone, sometimes letting someone into it.

Aside from in-screen fingerprint (which fails with most screen protectors), I'll stick to fingerprint for the moment. It's the least susceptible to false positive, and there's always a password or PIN backup.
    I couldn't agree with you more. At least with a fingerprint scanner, there's less of a chance of someone getting into my phone. But with an Iris scanner or facial recognition, if another brunette picks up my phone, there's a chance she'll be able to unlock it.
    10-30-2018 02:18 PM
    So I've had a full day of using my iPhone XS Max and I have to agree. The way this is setup so that it scans your entire including the sides makes it pretty much full proof. There's a reason police officers were instructed not to look at iPhones because too many wrong readings would disable the face ID. I think once Samsung and other manufacturers get this right like Apple did, they will be following.
    10-30-2018 03:15 PM
    But with an Irish scanner...
    Is that the one that lets anyone with pale skin, red hair, and freckles into your phone? XD
    Rukbat and Morty2264 like this.
    10-30-2018 03:59 PM
    I couldn't agree with you more. At least with a fingerprint scanner, there's less of a chance of someone getting into my phone. But with an Iris scanner or facial recognition, if another brunette picks up my phone, there's a chance she'll be able to unlock it.
    I think that if another brunette picks up your phone, there's a chance HE'LL be able to unlock it. If you have short hair or he has long hair.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-30-2018 07:42 PM
    I think that if another brunette picks up your phone, there's a chance HE'LL be able to unlock it. If you have short hair or he has long hair.
    True that! At least I have a leg up on either gender, though, because my long hair also has purple in it...

😜
    10-31-2018 01:57 PM
    Is that the one that lets anyone with pale skin, red hair, and freckles into your phone? XD
    LOOL I can either blame that on my fatigue or on my autocorrect... Hmm...

🤣
    10-31-2018 01:58 PM
    I didn't think Martians were allowed to register here.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-31-2018 01:59 PM
    I didn't think Martians were allowed to register here.
    LOOOOL I snuck in undetected.

Until now!
    10-31-2018 02:08 PM
    Talk about an illegal alien.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-31-2018 02:09 PM
    and many of you seem to be utterly wrong when you have the lack of experience in understanding security even to basics. fingerprints and facial recognizion and Bluetooth currently are not only not supported as any standard in any class by any group but they have not been accepted because of its insecurity. Please reference W3C for an idea of why I can say this and be able to write a paper but its all footnotes with a consortium of the heads from industry working to make a standard so you once again don't get hacked because you keep it coming for a reason.
    I don't think it was claimed to be some super-secure government approved thing. It sounds more like you assumed a lot of things on stuff that wasn't said just so you could come in to try and "prove us wrong" or something of that nature.

You have no idea my credentials -- You don't know what I know or don't know on security.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    10-31-2018 04:58 PM