Google Messages- Just became a game changer for me and my love for iMessage

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
So my phone pushed a notification to me about syncing with my chromebook but I just blew it off as a useless type of notification. Then my chromebook the next day did the same so I clicked on it and it connected and I was like "Oh okay that's fine I guess." Then it suggested downloading Messages on my phone to use across my chromebook and phone. I assumed it would just be a web based type of messenger where I'd have to get everyone to use it in order to work...

NO:eek:

So you're telling me I can send SMS from my chromebook, similar to iMessage and iDevices (Have an iPad and an iPhone 7 Plus)???!!!! This made my day. That was really the only thing I was missing about having my Apple device as my daily driver (and Facetime but I hardly use it unless it's my boyfriend). This is aweseome. Next I need to see if my Ticwatch receives these notifications too but I'm sure it does

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
You always had and still have that option through the Gmail app. It's not dedicated, but we don't need a cell phone to use text messaging.

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Google 'how do I use my computer to send a text message to a phone'.

The only thing i see is Hangouts which is not what I was referring to.

At any rate, this works perfectly and the receiver doesn't have to download anything to be able to see your SMS. It's essentially through my phone

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
The only thing i see is Hangouts which is not what I was referring to.
You're not looking that hard. Download Pushbullet onto your web browser. Follow the instructions. Viola. Now you can never use your phone to text again, unless you want to.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You're not looking that hard. Download Pushbullet onto your web browser. Follow the instructions. Viola. Now you can never use your phone to text again, unless you want to.

Not a fan of PushBullet -- that costs yearly. Why would the OP go to something that costs when messages works for them and is also free?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So my phone pushed a notification to me about syncing with my chromebook but I just blew it off as a useless type of notification. Then my chromebook the next day did the same so I clicked on it and it connected and I was like "Oh okay that's fine I guess." Then it suggested downloading Messages on my phone to use across my chromebook and phone. I assumed it would just be a web based type of messenger where I'd have to get everyone to use it in order to work...

NO:eek:

So you're telling me I can send SMS from my chromebook, similar to iMessage and iDevices (Have an iPad and an iPhone 7 Plus)???!!!! This made my day. That was really the only thing I was missing about having my Apple device as my daily driver (and Facetime but I hardly use it unless it's my boyfriend). This is aweseome. Next I need to see if my Ticwatch receives these notifications too but I'm sure it does

Yep it is very convenient. I used to use an app called Pulse SMS that did the same thing (before Messages was really a big thing that Google did). Texting from the PC is very nice and something I do miss with my current iPhone XS Max at the moment.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Not a fan of PushBullet -- that costs yearly. Why would the OP go to something that costs when messages works for them and is also free?
There are so many ways to do this . I used to use Pushbullet, but it was free. I looked today, still free.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Been using Android Messages/Web for a few months now for work. Been a total lifesaver. And Free.

(I used Pulse and Pushbullet in the past)

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I've been doing that (read and reply to texts on PC) on Samsungs for like 4 years now with Sidesync.

Now Microsoft integrates with your phone that it doesn't matter what SMS app you use on the phone, you can view and reply to them from a Windows 10 PC.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've been doing that (read and reply to texts on PC) on Samsungs for like 4 years now with Sidesync.

Now Microsoft integrates with your phone that it doesn't matter what SMS app you use on the phone, you can view and reply to them from a Windows 10 PC.

Verizon has had similar functionality since 2014 as well with their message app. Texts sync to Android/iOS tablets and Windows 10, Android tablets can even make calls using speaker phone or bluetooth.

Google was late to this game.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech