Repair shop CPR destroyed new phone

mgssrs

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
We bought 4 new Pixel 3 phones on Black Friday. My daughter's took a short fall from her pocket onto the driveway the first day she had it. Before her case arrived. Somehow it cracked the screen on 3 corners. Youbreakifix wanted $280 to fix it and CPR said $170 so she took it to CPR. They said they would have it fixed in an hour and a half. When she came back they said their screens were defective and they need to keep it for 2 more days. They gave her an iPhone 6, that they said was broke, to use.
Two days later they called and told her that they can not fix it and her phone no longer works at all. They also said they will refund her SOME of her money. She told them they need to fix it or give her a new phone. The guy said he can't do anything and she can call back Monday and talk to a manager.
This is a 2 week old $800 phone that they were paid to repair that is now not working at all.
I'm trying to help her get this taken care of and looking for advice from others.
Thanks

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear.

All you can do is talk to the manager.

This repair center is third party, which I just do not trust in general. I guess this is the nonsense you have to deal with.

I've said it many times, Google needs an Apple Store where their customers can get their devices repaired or replaced with confidence.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Did either firm mention maintaining warranty on the device? I believe uBreakIfix might be approved for maintaining warranty on the device. In this case - lowest bidder isn't always best.

This would be a candidate for small claims court, but keep in mind that these are likely franchised repair people. Provided speaking to the manager Monday gets you no satisfaction.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This would be a candidate for small claims court, but keep in mind that these are likely franchised repair people. Provided speaking to the manager Monday gets you no satisfaction.

Ditto. It's one thing for a company to say they can't fix the phone and hand it back in the same condition (the question of a refund is debatable, but doesn't apply here), but to further damage your property and not make amends is just negligence. Hopefully the manager can get yours flat replaced, but otherwise I agree that small claims court may be in your future. Just the threat of that may make them bend over, but I wouldn't say anything of it until you've actually looked into the court route and are willing to go through with it. There will be court costs, plus possibly taking time off your work to go to the hearing.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
There will be court costs,

It may depend on location but I believe any costs are paid by the defendant. Getting a lawyer for small claims court isn't needed (kind of the point - to make it easy for regular folks to resolve issues on small financial losses without having to retain counsel), all you need is proof you've paid for a service you didn't receive properly in this case.

mgssrs

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
Yes in hind sight I wish I would have told her to take it to Google authorized repair which I think is only ubreakifix. But a $100 different is a lot of money for her after just paying to buy it. Also the guy at CPR told me that we would still be able to get Best buy or Verizon protection plan on it because after they fixed it it would be like new. I never thought they would break it more.
This is making me second guess buying Pixels. I don't like how easy the screen broke but I know that can happen. Now its hard to find parts, accessories, and repair places. My family has had 12 Galaxy phones in the past and parts and repairs were everywhere.
I am going to call the manager myself since the phone is on my account. And we will definitely be going to small claims court if needed.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It may depend on location but I believe any costs are paid by the defendant. Getting a lawyer for small claims court isn't needed (kind of the point - to make it easy for regular folks to resolve issues on small financial losses without having to retain counsel), all you need is proof you've paid for a service you didn't receive properly in this case.
I've never been to court personally, so I'm not sure how costs are normally paid. I do know my wife was taken to small claims court by a debt collector years ago. Not only did she not have to pay the court costs, but we didn't even find out about it until about 5 years after the fact when we noticed her credit score was in the tank. When investigating it, turns out the lovely USPS lost her summons, but the court clerk we talked to never said anything about paying the cost.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I was wrong, the person filing pays the cost, at least in my state they do. That cost in my state is $15-$20. The court does all the notification of the defendant and in my state if the defendant doesn't show you still present evidence proving your case but they don't get a chance to answer your evidence.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Tell the manager that they turned a repair situation into a liability situation, and you expect a working, new, phone and you expect it before the middle of the week, or they';ll pay what ever your attorney bills them when the judge awards you the price of a new phone, costs plus aggravation.

Don't let them walk on you. This is all on them, 100%. If they can't fix a phone, they should just refuse to take it in for repair.

(After you get it straightened out, write them up really badly on whatever sites are applicable - unless they replace the phone without argument. Then give them a good rating. Phones can be broken - it's how they handle it that counts.)

(If AT&T can replace a phone they damaged, so can a little repair shop.)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You know, when I saw the title to this thread, I thought the OP was going to say that the phone was destroyed in the process of getting CPR (i.e., the phone was in their chest pocket, and crushed while someone was providing chest compressions)! Certainly glad that wasn't the case.:p

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You know, when I saw the title to this thread, I thought the OP was going to say that the phone was destroyed in the process of getting CPR (i.e., the phone was in their chest pocket, and crushed while someone was providing chest compressions)! Certainly glad that wasn't the case.:p
Ditto. Lol

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear.

All you can do is talk to the manager.

This repair center is third party, which I just do not trust in general. I guess this is the nonsense you have to deal with.

I've said it many times, Google needs an Apple Store where their customers can get their devices repaired or replaced with confidence.

Absolutely - Google needs the equivalent of an Apple Store.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is why I get insurance for a phone, whether it's Google's Preferred Care, or SquareTrade for phones bought on eBay and other eligible sources. I've had good experiences with these services (I think Preferred Care uses Assurant), and they're more likely to be better than local phone repair shops. I'm usually really careful with my phones, but you know what they say, doody happens (well, maybe they don't say it quite like that).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is why I get insurance for a phone, whether it's Google's Preferred Care, or SquareTrade for phones bought on eBay and other eligible sources. I've had good experiences with these services (I think Preferred Care uses Assurant), and they're more likely to be better than local phone repair shops. I'm usually really careful with my phones, but you know what they say, doody happens (well, maybe they don't say it quite like that).

"Doody happens" - I rather like that...

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
LMAO me too. As I started reading OP's post, before I got to the part about the drop, I thought his daughter was in a life-threatening situation and had to have CPR during which the emergency responder(s) accidentally busted her phone in half. I got such a scare. I think we might need a forum policy against scares like this so that members with blood pressure issues don't end up with a headache and heart pain like I did...

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
We bought 4 new Pixel 3 phones on Black Friday. My daughter's took a short fall from her pocket onto the driveway the first day she had it. Before her case arrived. Somehow it cracked the screen on 3 corners. Youbreakifix wanted $280 to fix it and CPR said $170 so she took it to CPR. They said they would have it fixed in an hour and a half. When she came back they said their screens were defective and they need to keep it for 2 more days. They gave her an iPhone 6, that they said was broke, to use.
Two days later they called and told her that they can not fix it and her phone no longer works at all. They also said they will refund her SOME of her money. She told them they need to fix it or give her a new phone. The guy said he can't do anything and she can call back Monday and talk to a manager.
This is a 2 week old $800 phone that they were paid to repair that is now not working at all.
I'm trying to help her get this taken care of and looking for advice from others.
Thanks
Why do you not report them to the BBB? You might at the very least be able to prevent other people (or yourself if you break another phone) from suffering property damage like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12