and found an interesting video. I occasionally watch Bryan Lunduke's podcasts about Linux. My favorites are Linux Sucks. Back to the point....He uploaded a video titled: Android vs. iOS: Which spies on you more?

Video:

It is quite a thought provoking piece. He read a news article from the NY Times (As I recall), that collected data from an Android phone and an iPhone.

Some aspects of the results were not really surprising for me. Google collected a lot of data (for me that's a duh...) I was surprised at the Apple results.

In the comments, and later on in the video, was a description of PureOS and a new device called the Librem 5.

Links so you can follow me down my rabbit hole:

Purism: https://puri.sm/
    Librem 5: https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/
    PureOS: https://pureos.net/

A lot of the differences are interesting choices and methods for achieving the same results. I'm honestly half thinking of downloading PureOS just to give it a spin (when I get bored sometimes, I download and install different OS....just because I can..lol).

Any thoughts/reactions?
    12-12-2018 09:26 AM
    I saw Adam Runis Everything's episode on Tech yesterday and since I still want to keep using my phone and speakers without having to don a tin foil hat, I'll skip that (for this week haha).
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    12-12-2018 10:40 AM
    Wow , I wasn't expecting to hear they collected that much data just in an hour while using your phone, and while not using your phone.
    I knew they collected some of course.
    Also surprised at the difference between the two companies .
    It is kinda creepy
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    12-12-2018 11:06 AM
    You know when that study first came out, I found the read to be very interesting. Jerry had written a piece on it that I also found interesting... and of course Rene had his say on it all as well.

https://www.androidcentral.com/andro...much-usability
    12-12-2018 09:15 PM
    Here is a thought that I had that wasn't really touched on the article Lunduke read. The iPhone sent info back to apple less than Android did. But because it was all encrypted, we don't know what was sent. To make an analogy of what I am thinking: Let's say Android sends an email every time it has a difference in data from last collected. It send a report back to Google. But iPhone send back once or twice a day. What if the same data is sent that Android collected, it's just that instead of sending it every few minutes, it send it twice?
    12-12-2018 11:19 PM
    Wow , I wasn't expecting to hear they collected that much data just in an hour while using your phone, and while not using your phone.
    I knew they collected some of course.
    Also surprised at the difference between the two companies .
    It is kinda creepy
    I honestly expected the iPhone reporting to Apple to be less. Just not that much of a difference.
    12-12-2018 11:20 PM
    Here is a thought that I had that wasn't really touched on the article Lunduke read. The iPhone sent info back to apple less than Android did. But because it was all encrypted, we don't know what was sent. To make an analogy of what I am thinking: Let's say Android sends an email every time it has a difference in data from last collected. It send a report back to Google. But iPhone send back once or twice a day. What if the same data is sent that Android collected, it's just that instead of sending it every few minutes, it send it twice?
    Yeah , good point about Apple's being encrypted and not knowing what was sent.

I know on my Android phone whenever, I'm walking around town .
    It seems I get more requests from Google to review those places for Google Maps then it does when I'm driving by those places.
    Since I'm walking I guess it can't tell what places for sure I stopped at, and the places I actually went in to buy something.
    Those places being stores close together side by side in an strip mall
    milleniumdroid likes this.
    12-13-2018 05:22 AM
    Yeah , good point about Apple's being encrypted and not knowing what was sent.

I know on my Android phone whenever, I'm walking around town .
    It seems I get more requests from Google to review those places for Google Maps then it does when I'm driving by those places.
    Since I'm walking I guess it can't tell what places for sure I stopped at, and the places I actually went in to buy something.
    Those places being stores close together side by side in an strip mall
    I have a similar issue with Google Rewards. For a while it kept asking me if I was at one store, even though I wasn't. My chiropractor is in a small strip mall with a Sears in it.
    12-13-2018 08:15 AM
    I saw Adam Runis Everything's episode on Tech yesterday and since I still want to keep using my phone and speakers without having to don a tin foil hat, I'll skip that (for this week haha).
    I've seen enough episodes of Adam ruins everything where he has been completely wrong. I stopped watching it because I couldn't trust what he said.
    12-17-2018 12:13 AM
    I've seen enough episodes of Adam ruins everything where he has been completely wrong. I stopped watching it because I couldn't trust what he said.
    Like...? Show seems to have some solid data sources, and whenever they claim numbers/stats/facts they usually support that with the source snippets.

I do agree that they might nit-pick the data that serves their purpose, and it's TV so obviously it's not meant to be taken as hard evidence, but still pretty well sustained I think.
    12-17-2018 11:29 AM
    I can't wait to watch this! Thank you so much for sharing the link! I'll post later with my impressions.

I feel like there are many who would assume that Google is the culprit when it comes to collecting information and "spying (and it's true that it does do that)"; so it'll be interesting to see how Apple/iOS is viewed/studied in that same regard.
    12-18-2018 05:47 AM