LG Snubbed Once Again

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the front page I've noticed that there were best of awards. There were three articles about it and in each one... The V40 wasn't even considered even though it's an all around better phone than the S9/+ and possibly even the note 9 (despite no stylus). LG has done something great with this phone, it has the best sound quality out of any of the phones listed, and the best manual camera which records at a high bitrate. It deserved to be mentioned, furthermore the editors disabled comments on the articles seemingly to prevent such discussions like this. And these aren't the only time this has happened. I bet if the V40 had either a Samsung or Oneplus logo on it, it would be treated better. Where is a true Non Biased Android news and reviews site? Because it ain't here obviously.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the front page I've noticed that there were best of awards. There were three articles about it and in each one... The V40 wasn't even considered even though it's an all around better phone than the S9/+ and possibly even the note 9 (despite no stylus). LG has done something great with this phone, it has the best sound quality out of any of the phones listed, and the best manual camera which records at a high bitrate. It deserved to be mentioned, furthermore the editors disabled comments on the articles seemingly to prevent such discussions like this. And these aren't the only time this has happened. Where is a true Non Biased Android news and reviews site? Because it ain't here obviously.

Most don't cater to manual photographers as that isn't the "normal people" you could say. Do you have an Android site that suggested LG as the best?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The V40 isn't the best phone of the year. The V20 has held that position for the past two years in my opinion.

Keep in mind, these sites cater to the masses. The masses typically want a device that does everything for them. That's part of why Samsung gets such high ratings, thanks to their auto mode programming. The new Pixel is up there too for the same reason. LG has excellent camera hardware on the V-series, but their auto algorithms leave much to be desired. A site dedicated to a more niche market, such as a photography site doing an article on phone cameras, would have different ratings. Even then, those articles tend to favor auto mode shots. DXO was somewhat blasted for a low score on the V20 because they only tested auto modes, and they are one of the top camera and lens rating sites out there.

You really have to dig to find articles that cater to the V-series strengths.

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Smallish battery too. Does the V40 even have stereo speakers?

The battery is about the same as the S9. Who cares about stereo speakers? Plug it in to a system or headphones. The V series has the best audio output of any phone despite not having stereo speakers.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The battery is about the same as the S9. Who cares about stereo speakers? Plug it in to a system or headphones. The V series has the best audio output of any phone despite not having stereo speakers.
I think more care about stereo speakers than wired headphones. Many if not most use wireless now. V40 is no better for wireless listening.

The screen size is closer to Note 9 than S9 so that is why the battery is small. Go by screen size.

The automatic camera is mediocre. Many phones are now available with 8gb ram. The V40 isn't a bad phone but the things it excels at - wired connection to high quality headphones and manual use of the camera (Most like a quick snapshot) just aren't very important to all but a niche market. Now keep in mind I still use my V20 so I am not biased against LG. I just think Pixel 3+ and Note 9 each excel at things more people care about.

V40 could have been mentioned among tops for manual phone photography if anybody scored it. I bet it would be great on auto with Pixel 3 camera software. Too bad LG can't work on that.

Could be scored highest in DAC too but few even know what that is.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

To be honest you sound more biased then the sites imo.

You scoff at the reasons the others were named and champion what LG has done. What if one doesn't care for those things? It seems you only allow reasons to like things when they fit your agenda.. which is pretty.. well.. biased.

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
To be honest you sound more biased then the sites imo.

You scoff at the reasons the others were named and champion what LG has done. What if one doesn't care for those things? It seems you only allow reasons to like things when they fit your agenda.. which is pretty.. well.. biased.

A top phone must excel in all areas and the V40 does that. As far as I know... The Pixel doesn't even record in stereo.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
A top phone must excel in all areas and the V40 does that. As far as I know... The Pixel doesn't even record in stereo.

Ah more bias from you.. it must be all what you consider top otherwise it doesn't count. Screw all the votes from thousands of people and such, right? Makes sense I guess.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It's more like anti Bias.
No. You're biased. On one post you say who cares about stereo speakers and then bash the Pixel for not having stereo recording. You know what? I could throw the question back at you. Who cares about stereo recording? Because apparently at least 700million phone users don't (the entire iPhone population). And other competing phones have both. Samsung has both stereo recording AND stereo speakers.

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
No. You're biased. On one post you say who cares about stereo speakers and then bash the Pixel for not having stereo recording. You know what? I could throw the question back at you. Who cares about stereo recording? Because apparently at least 700million phone users don't (the entire iPhone population). And other competing phones have both. Samsung has both stereo recording AND stereo speakers.

Because the absence of Stereo speakers can be mitigated by connecting to a stereo source. The absence of stereo recording can't be mitigated, even if you go into a video editor and change the audio to stereo. LG just simply isn't being given the credit that they deserve.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Because the absence of Stereo speakers can be mitigated by connecting to a stereo source. The absence of stereo recording can't be mitigated, even if you go into a video editor and change the audio to stereo. LG just simply isn't being given the credit that they deserve.
You can plug in a stereo mic you know. Just like how you can plug in your stereo speakers that you use in your argument. Which really isn't something you should argue because we're just talking of the phones itself without any outside influence. If we're going to use plugging in externals as a defense, don't forget other phones can also plug in externals.

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
You can plug in a stereo mic you know. Just like how you can plug in your stereo speakers that you use in your argument. Which really isn't something you should argue because we're just talking of the phones itself without any outside influence. If we're going to use plugging in externals as a defense, don't forget other phones can also plug in externals.

Still not the same.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Still not the same.

Yes it is. That's just your bias talking. If you can connect a stereo speaker to a LG to get stereo speakers to provide your argument, then connecting a stereo mic to a Pixel is allowed, since you're talking about getting a peripheral to augment the phone.

That being said, if this was your argument, then both still loses the award to the Samsung which has both built in with no need for peripherals. Not to mention that the Samsung actually has a 32bit DAC by Cirrus Logic (who owns Wolfson) in it if you have an Exynos version. It's just not as heavily advertised as the LG's Quad DAC. That, plus with Adapt Sound software + Dolby Atmos, lessens LG's advantage on the sound department as well. Then you add the S Pen on the Note.

Then adding in LG's ****ty track record on support, then it's pretty obvious why people don't buy them, dropping from 2nd biggest Android manufacturer in the world all the way to 6th. People had high hopes for LG at the start of the year when they had a new CEO who promised changes. So far we've seen more of the same.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm with the others. I love my V20, but LG lost a lot of ground when they went with the same cookie cutter all glass sealed design on the V40 that everyone else uses. As others pointed out, you are being overly biased yourself by trying to maintain a double standard that favors the V40. It's one thing to excel at everything you do, but if you can't even do some things that the masses want (I.e. no stereo speakers and no S-pin), then you don't have a chance. Especially when the phone isn't the best in other areas that it can compete for with the masses (I.e. Auto camera mode that is lacking).

If you want a phone with the best manual camera controls, or best audio recording, or best wired audio output, then I'm sure the V40 would be near the top of the list. But that's not what the phone of the year is. That phone, as you said, must excel at everything, which the V40 does not do and can not make up for with what few niche specialties it does have.

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes it is. That's just your bias talking. If you can connect a stereo speaker to a LG to get stereo speakers to provide your argument, then connecting a stereo mic to a Pixel is allowed, since you're talking about getting a peripheral to augment the phone.

That being said, if this was your argument, then both still loses the award to the Samsung which has both built in with no need for peripherals. Not to mention that the Samsung actually has a 32bit DAC by Cirrus Logic (who owns Wolfson) in it if you have an Exynos version. It's just not as heavily advertised as the LG's Quad DAC. That, plus with Adapt Sound software + Dolby Atmos, lessens LG's advantage on the sound department as well. Then you add the S Pen on the Note.

Then adding in LG's ****ty track record on support, then it's pretty obvious why people don't buy them, dropping from 2nd biggest Android manufacturer in the world all the way to 6th. People had high hopes for LG at the start of the year when they had a new CEO who promised changes. So far we've seen more of the same.

Having to connect a stereo mic is one extra thing to carry around and would be hard to connect it in time to record as that moment will be missed. Connecting to stereo speakers is a fixed scenario rather than variable as recording something would be. The Exynos version isn't available in the US and the V40 has DTS X which is similar to Dolby Atmos and even superior to it in some applications.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool