Best Messenger App for Android?

dmiller440

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi All, I am looking to change my messenger App. Looking for new and refreshing ideas :)

checked out Allo from Google. looked cool, but then saw it is being discontinued in March.

What do you like to use?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
IM - Whatsapp

SMS/MMS - Textra, Google Messages, Pulse, Stock LG.

I use Google Messages the most due to the web for messaging feature. I use it for work.

neuronton

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Well you're going to have Facebook messenger which data shows is the most widely used and the playstore backs up the users by ranking it the highest by most downloaded app in that category let alone in the entire free android app category. But if you weren't aware it is confirmed and only a matter of time that Facebook links what's app and Instagram to one messenger app in total which will dominate anything (Google hangouts i mean you too but we'll always have each other). So basically you would want to know you're not going to have much of a choice unless you prefer to find a more underground application that does just the same stuff all messengers now do equally fine. Skype (microsoft held, every Microsoft account has access by default) was and still can be a wonderful tool. It's just now all messengers almost do the same so maybe finding that seemless experience to sync with windows you may like if i thought of that along with the ability to voice and video call, with the most experience of any brand, and have it be able to give you addons allowing you to claim a unique number from which you can actually dial to lines anywhere in the world. You could set caller id etc. I used Skype and Google hangouts... Hangouts is basically Google version of Skype but more lightweight, every Gmail gets one, you can do regular chat phone calls and text. I have both on my systems and mobiles. I like being able to also never give my real phone number out and just give them my free one that forwards to a phone you choose or uses the app if it's got a phone or pc on. Hope that gives some advice

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Personally I have use Google Messages as my Text App for my standard Mobile phone number and the Google Voice app for texting and calling from my Google Voice number.

I have Never used Facebook Messenger, and I have no intention of using it!

neuronton

May 28, 2016
Visit site
Personally I have use Google Messages as my Text App for my standard Mobile phone number and the Google Voice app for texting and calling from my Google Voice number.

I have Never used Facebook Messenger, and I have no intention of using it!
The OP is clear that he is looking for a messenger app. You and the others seem to confuse what a messenger app is. You're only referring to an sms aka text messenger app. That isn't clearly stated anywhere nor implied by any means. If it was, there's plenty of those to go around and i use google's one as well that's rather new for them to publish in a separate app for no seemingly immanent need. Anyhow my Samsung sms or Google messages works just the same. Maybe one will outgrow the other or Google will continue it and integrate it by default. The volume of the amount of apps Google makes is sometimes problematic despite my opinion of mostly great code and fresh. But my point was made pretty clear

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is a very difficult choice to make as there are a lot of great messaging apps out there! I've personally used a few, but my favourite messaging app is Textra, by far. I paid a bit more for the "Pro" version - there are more customization options and I really want to support the app development team! They are always quick to respond to questions and to customer emails. I've had to contact them here and there about small bugs within the app and they'd contact me/fix the issues very promptly. It's worth the small $2 (or even $1.50) fee to upgrade from the free app!

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
SMS/MMS - Google Messages or Textra.

IM - WhatsApp is the most popular and the one I use most. I consider Telegram way better but it's not that easy to convince my contacts to migrate from WhatsApp. :)

JimmieCD

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I text approx 90 people 4-5 times/day. I divide them into groups of 10 each. I have tried most SMS apps and Textra by far is the best because of the way it allows Bulk SMS to Contact Groups. IMHO no other SMS app matches Textra's capabilities.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I text approx 90 people 4-5 times/day. I divide them into groups of 10 each. I have tried most SMS apps and Textra by far is the best because of the way it allows Bulk SMS to Contact Groups. IMHO no other SMS app matches Textra's capabilities.

That's great that Textra works so well for you! It's an awesome app, for sure. I do some group texting on it as well.

Daniel204

May 2, 2019
Visit site
Here I am listing out some best messenger options available from which you can select one:

1. Android Messages
2. Chomp SMS
3. Facebook Messenger
4. WhatsApp
5. EvolveSMS
6. Telegram

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
When choosing between telegram, viber and WhatsApp:

All of these have desktop versions, which is very neat. You can type from your desktop/laptop and it gets cloned to the phone/tablet.

However, WhatsApp must have an active connection from the primary device (phone) for the desktop to connect.

Viber does not need an active phone connection, you can turn it off.

Telegram works the same way.

The other disadvantage WhatsApp has, you can only install it on one additional device, not multiple desktops/tablets. If you install it on a second device, it will deregister on the first. So you get one phone and one computer.

Telegram and viber get multiple devices. However, viber has one advantage over telegram, you can make video phone calls from the desktop, unlike telegram that can only make voice calls.

One really neat feature of telegram is that you can give your contact info to someone without giving your phone number. You create a nick and share that. Very convenient.

Signal is great in US but not used very much outside of US.

WhatsApp is the most popular, with viber being a close second and telegram is not as popular as either.

My favorite is either viber or telegram.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon