What app developers that use shady practices do you think people should avoid?

Two developers that come to my mind are:

• Cheetah Mobile (same as Cheetah Games and Cheetah Keyboard?) - the app descriptions of some of their apps make some claims that seem unrealistic, and they add features to their apps that don't seem to actually work. As far as I can remember, one of their apps (not sure if Clean Master or their Antivirus) had a feature that supposedly cooled down your phone's battery or CPU instantly.
    • Voodoo - their ads are deceptive (see this Reddit thread) and they do some questionable things when it comes to ad personalization and consent (see this Reddit thread)
    • UC Web - they request a suspicious amount of permissions for their main browser app, and I have heard somewhere that they allegedly sell data to third-parties
    02-10-2019 02:50 PM
    Also, Cheetah has been accused of stealing data from phones it's installed on.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-10-2019 03:20 PM
    DU Apps Studio -- I tend to see a lot of complaints with DU Battery Saver.

TouchPal -- history of intrusive ads. It blew my mind when HTC started using it as their stock keyboard.

It's also important to know if a previously trusted app was acquired by one of these companies. QuickPic and ES File Explorer used to be great 3rd party gallery and file manager apps, and then they were acquired by Cheetah and DU, and now they're terrible.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-11-2019 01:26 PM
    There were also some privacy concernes when Avast updated CCleaner for Windows. Avast also has Android apps, so if you're really into protecting your privacy, maybe it would be good to avoid their apps. Note that Avast owns CCleaner and AVG. Avast's Android apps contain, in my opinion, an excessive amount of ads. People also raised other privacy concernes because of Avast's privacy policy which says that they may share some information with third-parties (Reddit thread). In the same Reddit thread, other people say that this information doesn't include information that could be used to identify an individual and that you can opt out of this data collection.
    B. Diddy and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-11-2019 03:23 PM