Android Q will give carriers more ways to SIM lock phones

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why

Looks to me like it's a restriction for support of multi SIM phones. If one carrier can't support it, for whatever reason they can lock it out.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

That's why they still offer unlocked models. Carrier-branded versions are carrier-supported, so yeah, they'll write stuff to help carriers keep supporting Google phones (especially now that it's no longer a Verizon exclusive). Now, why do carriers keep doing that? Because people still buy them from carriers instead of unlocked most of the time. You gotta cater to all available markets, and the carrier one is still super strong.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site

If the phone is bought and paid for even though it came from a carrier.
It should be your phone. Not the carriers phone.
So they shouldn't be able to lock you into their service.

Just my though.
Thought the FCC said something about this a few years ago.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

That's why they still offer unlocked models. Carrier-branded versions are carrier-supported, so yeah, they'll write stuff to help carriers keep supporting Google phones (especially now that it's no longer a Verizon exclusive). Now, why do carriers keep doing that? Because people still buy them from carriers instead of unlocked most of the time. You gotta cater to all available markets, and the carrier one is still super strong.

I'm personally not big on the carrier model either, but most people probably don't know that most phones they can buy outside of a carrier will work well for the most part. The upside to buying a carrier phone is it is fully supported by the network.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Carriers often have proprietary software that gives carrier specific functions that won't work with other carriers. It's like owning a Dodge but going to a Chevy dealer for service. The Chevy dealer may be able to do basic stuff like an oil change, but you can't expect them to do something like an engine overhaul because they don't stock Dodge parts.

Unlocked phones may not be fully compatible on a given carrier (I.e. WiFi calling is a common issue with unlocked phones). Those may not be important to you, but to many they are. Just pick the phone that best suits your needs and don't worry much about it.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Thought the FCC said something about this a few years ago.

Kind of, as it related to one carrier. When Verizon acquired a segment of spectrum for new capabilities one of the stipulations was that all phones sold for a certain period of time MUST be sold as unlocked. I believe that period of time ran out earlier this year.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Sent the info to a friend who bought a At&t note 9 with a dual SIM.
They sold him the dual SIM specifically with the ability to use the dual SIM on different carriers.
So if they lock one of his SIMs
He said he wants all his money back

His wife was with him when he bought the phone.
Said his wife was a paralegal before she retired a couple months ago.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
The more things like this happen, the more I believe in simply buying your phone unlocked and then using prepaid SIM of your chosen network or a plan that doesn't come with a phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You buy an unlocked phone that can work on your carrier of choice. (Assuming that our carrier locks their phones and won't unlock them). If you're paying $45/month for a $1,00 phone, it's still the crrier's phone for 2 years. After that, most carriers will unlock the phone.

The thing I don't happen to be personally thrilled with is carriers (or manufacturers) locking the bootloader so it can't be unlocked. No kernels, no ROMs, no rooting, and unless the carrier changes the ROM during an update, you're stuck with almost an iPhone (but worse - an iPhone can be rooted).

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Would google write software to help carriers lock you into their service?

If you bought and paid for a phone.
Why shouldn't you be able to take the phone anywhere.

https://www.xda-developers.com/android-q-carriers-sim-lock-phones/
I know that a lot of unlocked phones are set to automatically download Carrier software when when a particular Carrier Sim Card is installed and activated.

I hope that this Carrier Lock software doesn't get downloaded on my Unlocked S10 + phone when I insert the Sprint SIM card in my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463