Buying direct from Samsung: Doesn't Verizon just put their bloat in anyway with updates?

tgm1024

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
None of my Verizon phones in the last 5 years have ever slowed down due to preinstalled non removable apps, disabled or not.

Thanks Mike.

However, I'm talking about the low level support that they need that are installed at the system level. They run as linux processes and consume main memory, whether or not the upper level app is disabled or not. This means that the longer term usability of the phone is at greater risk. Page thrashing is no fun. Again, this is gathering bits and pieces from programming forums, so android software engineers, please chime in and correct me.

Curious: Have you compared memory of from-manufacturer-locked vs. from-verizon-locked? How about running ps at a shell window?

As an example unlocked Pixels are fully compatible.

Well....another wrinkle. In my endless quest to stave off memory issues, I'm seeing that the pixel 3 line is only 4GB..... And coincident with that are this complaint about slowdowns happening, .....do I trust that the March update solved it?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Mike.

However, I'm talking about the low level support that they need that are installed at the system level. They run as linux processes and consume main memory, whether or not the upper level app is disabled or not. This means that the longer term usability of the phone is at greater risk. Page thrashing is no fun. Again, this is gathering bits and pieces from programming forums, so android software engineers, please chime in and correct me.

Curious: Have you compared memory of from-manufacturer-locked vs. from-verizon-locked? How about running ps at a shell window?

Well....another wrinkle. In my endless quest to stave off memory issues, I'm seeing that the pixel 3 line is only 4GB..... And coincident with that are this complaint about slowdowns happening, .....do I trust that the March update solved it?
I just buy a device and enjoy it. I've never had a device slowdown because of a few preinstalled apps disabled or not. Those apps are not resource hogs. I've also never had a slowdown with the Pixel 2XL or 3XL and 4GB of RAM.

tgm1024

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Follow-up.

TL;DR
  1. Ordered Unlocked S10+ from Samsung, for later activation with Verizon.
  2. Reports are showing here and there that the S10 series unlocked will work with Verizon wifi calling. Gonna risk it.
  3. Some father's day deals, but nothing tremendous. Just needed phone.
  4. Thanks all!
Wordy-Smurdy
Ok, well I ordered the unlocked S10+ directly from Samsung.

There were some reports of wifi calling working fine on the 10 series with Verizon. I figure I'll go see first hand and risk it.

The deals were in the "meh" category. If anyone's interested:

Free Samsung earbuds
$100 off
Free Year of YouTube hoozits and watzits

I think they valued the whole thing at ~$350. I got no protection plan from them (didn't include loss and theft), nor anything else.

Put it around $1149. Almost certainly a terrible price because of father's day deals coming up, but I don't trust the other vendors yet to not have something half-way between unlocked and a vendor locked phone (I'm just getting my unlocked feet wet).

I didn't even trust the "have us activate it" thing, because I was afraid of some weird closet deal they might be forced into that requires bloat to show up, or something else untoward.

So I'll probably have to pay for a new SIM at the TheftVerizon store, but what'evs.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Follow-up.

TL;DR
  1. Ordered Unlocked S10+ from Samsung, for later activation with Verizon.
  2. Reports are showing here and there that the S10 series unlocked will work with Verizon wifi calling. Gonna risk it.
  3. Some father's day deals, but nothing tremendous. Just needed phone.
  4. Thanks all!
Wordy-Smurdy
Ok, well I ordered the unlocked S10+ directly from Samsung.

There were some reports of wifi calling working fine on the 10 series with Verizon. I figure I'll go see first hand and risk it.

The deals were in the "meh" category. If anyone's interested:

Free Samsung earbuds
$100 off
Free Year of YouTube hoozits and watzits

I think they valued the whole thing at ~$350. I got no protection plan from them (didn't include loss and theft), nor anything else.

Put it around $1149. Almost certainly a terrible price because of father's day deals coming up, but I don't trust the other vendors yet to not have something half-way between unlocked and a vendor locked phone (I'm just getting my unlocked feet wet).

I didn't even trust the "have us activate it" thing, because I was afraid of some weird closet deal they might be forced into that requires bloat to show up, or something else untoward.

So I'll probably have to pay for a new SIM at the TheftVerizon store, but what'evs.
Congrats on the new phone, hope you enjoy it when it arrives.

tgm1024

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
They shouldn't charge you if you need a new SIM

That's what I thought too. This was a couple months ago when I asked about transferring an iPhone over for my son. I'll find out if he was referring to something else [equally stupid] when I bring the S10+ in. <Cranky level=UnGodly>I have to tell you, there are times when it becomes obvious to me that the only thing I like about Verizon is that at least they're not Comcast.</Cranky>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt