AI smartphone pictures taking and quality concerns

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Hello to everyone

I have a simple question I don't know if somebody can answer the question or perhaps can bring a debate about but here goes.

Somebody feels that the AI picture taking systems of the phones of today (master AI etc branded function on brands of phones ) instead of help to obtain better pictures makes the things worse by doing things of confuse scenes and by example instead of switch to the AI MODE snow or don't suggest an scene mode when take a picture of a mixed scenario of a city with a mountain snowed in the background switch to a incorrect mode and destroy the picture quality immediately? I have a phone ( Huawei mate 10 pro) well it's not the best example perhaps because may be some that do the work better in recognize scenes with AI mode but I feel that phones manufacturers are relying too much in the AI processor for take pictures. I also have an Microsoft Lumia 950XL and feel that this Windows phone without any AI thing do better job talking pictures than a Huawei Mate 10 pro or even my old phone a Samsung Galaxy S7.

Somebody feels that too much AI applied in the camera is like destroying instead of improving the already great advancement in imaging on the smartphones?

Best regards Francisco .

Last edited by a moderator:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Here's a quotation from Huawei's site, in which they describe to P20's camera:

"The impressive recognition capability is the result of Huawei's extensive training – in order to 'teach' the processor to identify objects and distinguish one thing from another, Huawei had put the AI through over 10 million images when designing the SoC. It was a long, long laborious process." (My italics.)

I don't think they'd have worked so laboriously if it had not been worth doing. I don't have a phone with an AI camera myself, but I do know that there have been remarkable improvements to phone cameras over the last few years, and I guess that AI continues that trend.

I'll move this to General News & Discussion, which I think will be a better forum for it, unless you'd prefer it to be moved to Android Photo & Video.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Check your camera app - if you want that kind of control, set it for spot metering/focusing, and tap the part that you think is significant. If there's a city with a snow-covered mountain in the background, and the city is important to you, tap on the city. (And hope they designed the AI to follow the spot metering.)

If the mountain is more important to you, tap the mountain.

What we call "AI" isn't really, it's just a great database lookup. They've trained it that when there's a city in the foreground and a snow-covered mountain in the background it <whichever they trained t to do>. In order to actually be intelligent, it would have to ask you which one is more important - you and I may be standing in the same spot, taking a picture of the same thing, but one wants to emphasize the mountain, thee other wants to emphasize the city - so an AI can't make that kind of decision. But if the AI follows focus/metering, putting it on spot focus, then tapping the spot of interest, should tell the AI "this is the important past". (If it doesn't, Huawei has to rethink the whole thing.)

No one alive today is going to see the kind of aI that can tell, from what you've done with the phone before, what part of a picture is important to you. Maybe in a century or two.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't worry... These phones were already processing the image, with the addition of AI, all that means is that the algorithms that control the processing are not static equations written by the developer, they are equations that keep adapting based on the information being fed to it and the rules set by the developer.

So it's manipulating the image just the same, but it should do so with more refinement. And the end result is still dependent on what the developer wants.