If android wasn't Customizable, would you be using something different?

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
No, it doesn't have to be Apple. A different company say going with OnePlus instead of Samsung.

I'm not that advanced so when I say not customizable, I only know Nova Launcher Pro and Icon Packs. LOL So whatever you do pretend you can't anymore.

As much as I give credit to Samsung with their new One UI. I would likely stick with OnePlus, I love their Oxygen OS, it the little things like that I change Icons without Nova. I can't stand bland and even worse ugly icons like from Huawei.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
This sounds like Android no longer being open source which would mean no root, substratum theming, custom ROMs and various mods. If none of that was available I'd probably just stick with the Pixel line. We'd still have the great camera, similar UI and years of guaranteed updates.

I've used OnePlus phones in the past for the price and customization from rooting and lots of custom ROMs. In this scenario OnePlus wouldn't have a OxygenOS with customizable options. This would make the pricing the main reason to go with OnePlus but now we have reasonably priced Pixels with the 3a and 3a XL.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Even if it weren't customizable, I'd still favor it because of the variety of hardware. That in itself adds excitement and innovation to the platform.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I actually stopped customizing my phone a few years back, the manufacturers gave me enough without having to go custom. I actually use Android now for the intuitive nature of it, to this day I can't understand the fascination with the iPhone, every time I pick one up and mess with it I can't wait to put it down.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If it's based on Linux (which Android is - Android is a Java Runtime, not the operating system), it's customizable, as long as it's not impossibly locked down (like AT&T or Verizon Samsungs).

But I'd want a customizable phone based on Linux, however it ran apps. (Except Apple - they cost me far too much in 1991-1992 for me to even take a product for them for free - that would give them more free advertising than I'm willing to.) But I've been running Linux since Slackware released a distro in 1992, I have it on this desktop and it runs my (Android) phone. I guess you could say that I'm fully committed to Linux. (I'm also fully committed to OSS - I've released enough of my own freeware and shareware programs over he decades - since long before 1982, when Andrew Fluegelman coined the term.)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That's a tough call. I love the option and freedom to customize my phone to my liking - be that in general or even day-to-day use. I'd maybe give OnePlus a go, or go back to EMUI/Huawei. It's hard to make that choice - Android gives us so much of that too!

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I actually stopped customizing my phone a few years back, the manufacturers gave me enough without having to go custom. I actually use Android now for the intuitive nature of it, to this day I can't understand the fascination with the iPhone, every time I pick one up and mess with it I can't wait to put it down.
I heard you. I can't think of a smartphone rule without Android. Not just because I'm upset with Google, but for the simple fact that I also stopped just customizing my phone and rooting it years ago. Google has given you much to work with and made the experience fluid and intuitive finally.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't customise much anyonemore. Get the home screen going and a few tweaks with keyboard then I'm good to go.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I don't customize my Android phones at all, I use pixels and like the clean straightforward software experience. I like things that just work.

I don't use iPhones because they're obscenely overpriced and the company is too crooked for my taste.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely think the iPhone is nowhere near as intuitive, millions disagree tho...
oh trust me, you're absolutely right. Most people would disagree with me as well including my fiance most of her family has iPhones except her father. Even my mother when she was upgrading ask me oh why don't I get an apple device and I told her that even though I'm prejudiced towards Apple, it's not as intuitive and she's already used to Android as an OS so why would she change at this point in our life?. The simple fact of matter is for apples suite of applications, a I have noticed that there's a good amount of customers not using the Apple music store/iTunes. People love streaming music applications such as iHeartRadio, Pandora, Spotify, Google Play music, etc. Identity, most people have iOS because of FaceTime comment iMessage. That's why Apple keeps their self to for pride tonight because they know that if it were cross-platform like WhatsApp or telegram, Android would rip them to shreds in a second. Just no one wants to admit it. And that's my rant lol as far as some of the Enterprise world and your personal life, the g suite of applications is powerful. I don't see most people in the Enterprise field using Apple applications people use Microsoft/Google suite of applications in the Enterprise Field.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
To answer OP's question, I'd definitely still carry a Pixel. I don't change launchers and would have zero problem using Messages for my texting app again.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I would either stay on OneUI, or switch to Pixel’s Android stock. However, OnePlus’ Oxygen OS and phones are tempting.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Even if Android still weren't that customizable, I would still be on Android. I agree, I don't use third party launchers anymore. but I like to simplicity of the operating system and the massive amount of software updates available from Google

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Even if Android still weren't that customizable, I would still be on Android. I agree, I don't use third party launchers anymore. but I like to simplicity of the operating system and the massive amount of software updates available from Google

I couldn't agree with you more. I have grown really accustomed to Google's consistent and reliable updates with my Google Pixel 2. I have only dabbled in third-party launchers and prefer stock OS on all of my Android phones for the most part.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't agree with you more. I have grown really accustomed to Google's consistent and reliable updates with my Google Pixel 2. I have only dabbled in third-party launchers and prefer stock OS on all of my Android phones for the most part.
Oh yeah trust me after a Galaxy S8 which got no software updates, going to Google phone is like a breath of fresh air!

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Oh yeah trust me after a Galaxy S8 which got no software updates, going to Google phone is like a breath of fresh air!

It got security updates for 2-3 years and was updated from Nougat to Oreo and then Pie. Sure, the OS updates weren’t quick but it’s not like the S8 wasn’t updated. But stock is the best for updates.