08-19-2019 01:56 PM
105 12345
tools
    Yeah. Use them next to each other. The s6 would feel like your stuck in mud compared to the x. "similar" specs but the s6 would be 150 bucks new if it came out today and might still be overpriced. My 1968 Dodge has a V8 but it ain't twice as good as the 2.4L I4 in my Honda.
    You wouldn't catch me using Samsung, period.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-16-2019 08:33 PM
    You wouldn't catch me using Samsung, period.
    What phone are you using now, Mooncatt? A V-series phone?
    07-17-2019 04:46 AM
    What phone are you using now, Mooncatt? A V-series phone?
    Still on the V20. Even the newer versions of the V-series have tradeoffs I don't like.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-17-2019 05:11 AM
    iPhone has better privacy, 5 years of updates, local stores. Better Ecosystem. Best standby time.
    Health app seems better
    Apple has Better watch and tablet.
    Better CPU and GPU.
    face iD is better than face unlock
    iPhone has Small chin.
    Android having a hard time to catch-up. Taking it 3 years to catch up.
    I enjoy a good laugh in the morning. I just finished reading the news affecting almost all apple device cameras being easily hacked. Then I read the post above and got to how face ID is better. I'd hope so, since they can watch you 24/7. Good luck!
    07-17-2019 05:59 AM
    Still on the V20. Even the newer versions of the V-series have tradeoffs I don't like.
    Right! I had thought you were on the V20 or V30!
    07-17-2019 07:14 AM
    Right! I had thought you were on the V20 or V30!
    Now why would I downgrade to the V30? Lol
    Morty2264 likes this.
    07-17-2019 09:24 AM
    Now why would I downgrade to the V30? Lol
    LOOL I really wanted the V10 and wanted the V20... Alas, that did not happen.
    07-17-2019 01:14 PM
    Yeah. Use them next to each other. The s6 would feel like your stuck in mud compared to the x. "similar" specs but the s6 would be 150 bucks new if it came out today and might still be overpriced. My 1968 Dodge has a V8 but it ain't twice as good as the 2.4L I4 in my Honda.
    Which model '68? It might not be twice as good but the "cool" just oozes.
    07-19-2019 05:33 AM
    Which model '68? It might not be twice as good but the "cool" just oozes.
    Polara 2 door
    I put all the Monaco 500 trim on it. Sold it awhile ago and still mid it sometimes. Then I fill my Honda for $35 and drive it for two weeks.
    07-26-2019 12:55 AM
    iPhone has better privacy, 5 years of updates, local stores. Better Ecosystem. Best standby time.
    Health app seems better
    Apple has Better watch and tablet.
    Better CPU and GPU.
    face iD is better than face unlock
    iPhone has Small chin.
    Android having a hard time to catch-up. Taking it 3 years to catch up.
    Couldn’t agree more. Because paying $1000+ for a phone that has an embarrassingly bad battery life, boring outdated design, dual lens camera setup that usually fails in low light, has security flaws that GOOGLE of all companies found out and helped with is brilliant and better than the competition.

As for the XR, a sub 1080p LCD display at that price? Seriously?

As for iOS and Android, that depends entirely on the user. There are so many versions of Android it really doesn’t matter anymore. IOS has (slightly) better privacy at the cost of a more limited number of apps and things you can do with your phone (e.g Android has emulators, ROMs, APKs etc).

And @Mooncatt that ‘welcome to 2015’ pic is truly amazing lol.
    08-02-2019 04:47 AM
    No question iPhone holds value better. If that's what you are wanting then yes.
    08-09-2019 11:51 PM
    No question iPhone holds value better. If that's what you are wanting then yes.
    I would say that they do, but not just because of their brand/brand appeal. An iPhone XS Max, with 64 GB, retails for approximately $1550 CAD. If you resell your used iPhone then the price drops by 50% at the minimum - that means it'll be at least $775. The Samsung Galaxy S10 retails for $1080 CAD. Cut that in half to resell your used device and that's $540.

It's crazy how expensive things are getting! And since iPhone devices seem to be among the most expensive smartphone products on the market, objectively, they hold value better.
    08-10-2019 10:42 AM
    But buying something that functions well and also holds its value is even better.
    Did you ever hear of "the law of diminishing returns"? I can buy an Android tablet for $150 that performs EVERY function that I want or need. Why should I pay several times that for something I don't need or want? I certainly don't need or want the "snob appeal" that appears to be Apple's main selling point.
    08-10-2019 11:38 AM
    I would say that they do, but not just because of their brand/brand appeal. An iPhone XS Max, with 64 GB, retails for approximately $1550 CAD. If you resell your used iPhone then the price drops by 50% at the minimum - that means it'll be at least $775. The Samsung Galaxy S10 retails for $1080 CAD. Cut that in half to resell your used device and that's $540.

It's crazy how expensive things are getting! And since iPhone devices seem to be among the most expensive smartphone products on the market, objectively, they hold value better.
    Apple devices "last" longer as well. They're supported way longer.

The iPhone 6S was released in September 2015. You can use a 6S in August of 2019 and it'll be perfectly fine.

I wouldn't touch a Nexus 5X and 6P in 2019.

I wouldn't touch a Galaxy S6 and Note 5 in 2019.

You can likely use that iPhone 6S through 2020 - at least maybe up until the iOS 14 release, and it'll be fine.
    TgeekB and Morty2264 like this.
    08-10-2019 04:03 PM
    Did you ever hear of "the law of diminishing returns"? I can buy an Android tablet for $150 that performs EVERY function that I want or need. Why should I pay several times that for something I don't need or want? I certainly don't need or want the "snob appeal" that appears to be Apple's main selling point.
    Snob appeal?
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-10-2019 04:05 PM
    Snob appeal?
    Of course, snob appeal. "Mine's bigger and better than yours. So there!!" Same people that pay a fortune for blue jeans with a designer label. Of course, I lump people who buy the latest Samsung phone in the same category.
    08-10-2019 05:01 PM
    Snob appeal? Haha!
    You certainly should not buy something you don’t want or need. As far as the snob appeal I think you’re exaggerating just a bit.
    08-10-2019 05:12 PM
    Snob appeal?
    Hilarious, isn’t it? Apparently everyone who uses an iPhone is a snob. Interesting view of the world.
    08-10-2019 05:13 PM
    Hilarious, isn’t it? Apparently everyone who uses an iPhone is a snob. Interesting view of the world.
    It's like a Napoleon complex
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-10-2019 09:32 PM

The iPhone 6S was released in September 2015. You can use a 6S in August of 2019 and it'll be perfectly fine.

You can likely use that iPhone 6S through 2020 - at least maybe up until the iOS 14 release, and it'll be fine.
    BUT because Android phones (flagships like the OP7, S10, P30 Pro etc) generally have better hardware than their Apple rival, it means that their features will still be considered top-tier and/or equal a year later compared to their iPhone counterpart (e.g Samsung Note 9/P20 Pro vs iPhone XS Max)
    08-11-2019 06:03 AM

You do have a good point. iOS sticks by their products for longer periods of time. Android really needs to step it up in that department. I like how Google is working on doing better in that regard.

Just a random theory: I wonder if iPhone users keep their phones - since they do retain their value well, they do last longer, they're a more straightforward OS and so they're not really looking for a change, etc - longer than Android users keep their Android devices? I upgrade every 14-18 months on average, because I enjoy a new experience. Just a random thought. Both methods are pretty awesome, though. My in-laws and husband's extended family keep their iPhones for quite some time and I have co-workers who have kept their current iPhones for a long time, as well.
    08-11-2019 10:00 AM
    Just a random theory: I wonder if iPhone users keep their phones - since they do retain their value well, they do last longer, they're a more straightforward OS and so they're not really looking for a change, etc - longer than Android users keep their Android devices? I upgrade every 14-18 months on average, because I enjoy a new experience. Just a random thought. Both methods are pretty awesome, though. My in-laws and husband's extended family keep their iPhones for quite some time and I have co-workers who have kept their current iPhones for a long time, as well.
    That is a good thought. Is that true overall or just people like us though? I know Android users who keep their devices until they no longer work. Most of them don’t understand about updates.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-11-2019 10:05 AM
    That is a good thought. Is that true overall or just people like us though? I know Android users who keep their devices until they no longer work. Most of them don’t understand about updates.
    Yup, that's true. My mom's Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge still works really well - she just isn't interested in a new phone for the moment. Maybe it's moreso the phone enthusiasts who switch up often? It's hard to tell. AC is a very skewed sample size in terms of phone addicts/new users.
    Golurk likes this.
    08-11-2019 10:30 AM
    Yup, that's true. My mom's Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge still works really well - she just isn't interested in a new phone for the moment. Maybe it's moreso the phone enthusiasts who switch up often? It's hard to tell. AC is a very skewed sample size in terms of phone addicts/new users.
    It is hard to tell these things, whether on here or any of the Mobilenations sites. We have to remember that the majority of people don’t think like us. LOL.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-11-2019 10:33 AM
    You do have a good point. iOS sticks by their products for longer periods of time. Android really needs to step it up in that department. I like how Google is working on doing better in that regard.
    That's easy to do when you have a small number of devices to support and everything is done in-house. Android is something like the wild west with how many difference manufacturers and devices are out there. Be it phones, tablets, and otherwise (I once had a SiriusXM radio tuner that was built on Android, even though it was skinned so you'd never know). Every one of those devices need their own OS adaptations to function properly, making for an exponentially large number of devices needing development teams to keep up to date longer.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-11-2019 10:42 AM
105 12345