08-19-2019 01:56 PM
105 ... 2345
tools
    You do have a good point. iOS sticks by their products for longer periods of time. Android really needs to step it up in that department. I like how Google is working on doing better in that regard.

Just a random theory: I wonder if iPhone users keep their phones - since they do retain their value well, they do last longer, they're a more straightforward OS and so they're not really looking for a change, etc - longer than Android users keep their Android devices? I upgrade every 14-18 months on average, because I enjoy a new experience. Just a random thought. Both methods are pretty awesome, though. My in-laws and husband's extended family keep their iPhones for quite some time and I have co-workers who have kept their current iPhones for a long time, as well.
    My parents finally upgraded from their iPhones 6 from 2014 to iPhones XR in 2018. 4-5 year upgrade cycles feel more common with iPhones (and their numbers show it).
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-11-2019 11:34 AM
    My parents finally upgraded from their iPhones 6 from 2014 to iPhones XR in 2018. 4-5 year upgrade cycles feel more common with iPhones (and their numbers show it).
    Nearly my family uses iPhones (only two Android users with an S7 Edge and Pocophone F1) and they used to upgrade every year. That was when Android was awful in software and hardware and Apple was way ahead and constantly innovating (e.g iPhone 4 -> 5s -> 6s ->7 Plus). Now, they have iPhones which are only 1-2 years old but don’t plan on upgrading for another 2-3 years.
    08-12-2019 04:42 AM
    It is hard to tell these things, whether on here or any of the Mobilenations sites. We have to remember that the majority of people don’t think like us. LOL.
    Oh, absolutely! We are a very skewed sample size, indeed!
    08-12-2019 07:28 AM
    That's easy to do when you have a small number of devices to support and everything is done in-house. Android is something like the wild west with how many difference manufacturers and devices are out there. Be it phones, tablets, and otherwise (I once had a SiriusXM radio tuner that was built on Android, even though it was skinned so you'd never know). Every one of those devices need their own OS adaptations to function properly, making for an exponentially large number of devices needing development teams to keep up to date longer.
    You have a very good point. I don't know much about the OS/development side of smartphones and smartphone manufacturers, so I do appreciate your insight! It would be very difficult for Android to keep track of/support *all* of its devices the way iOS/Apple does.
    08-12-2019 07:30 AM
    Apple now for the first time makes the majority of their money on services. It used to be phones, obviously.
    Charging 2000 to fix a computer which cost 1500 new, while lying about whether or not the data could be saved, and it's a monitor ribbon cable that cost 2 bucks and 10 minutes to fix at the genius bar (that is rather snobby) which is all that's wrong, is a bad company.
    Installing liquid damage 'sensors' which are nothing more than a reactant on plastic that normal Florida humidity activates and denying any problems that come along due to 'water damage'.
    Apple is a shady, tax dodging, pay the worker the least possible, charge as much as possible, make it so you can't fix it yourself shell of the company it started out to be.
    Knowingly choosing products made by coerced labor, when alternatives exist, imo, is wrong and rectifiable.
    And its os is bland and dongled as all get out.
    08-12-2019 03:29 PM
    Apple now for the first time makes the majority of their money on services. It used to be phones, obviously.
    Charging 2000 to fix a computer which cost 1500 new, while lying about whether or not the data could be saved, and it's a monitor ribbon cable that cost 2 bucks and 10 minutes to fix at the genius bar (that is rather snobby) which is all that's wrong, is a bad company.
    Installing liquid damage 'sensors' which are nothing more than a reactant on plastic that normal Florida humidity activates and denying any problems that come along due to 'water damage'.
    Apple is a shady, tax dodging, pay the worker the least possible, charge as much as possible, make it so you can't fix it yourself shell of the company it started out to be.
    Knowingly choosing products made by coerced labor, when alternatives exist, imo, is wrong and rectifiable.
    Ummm......right.
    08-12-2019 03:59 PM

You may want to look up Google's own practices before you throw stones at Apple.

TgeekB likes this.
    08-12-2019 05:18 PM
    Nearly my family uses iPhones (only two Android users with an S7 Edge and Pocophone F1) and they used to upgrade every year. That was when Android was awful in software and hardware and Apple was way ahead and constantly innovating (e.g iPhone 4 -> 5s -> 6s ->7 Plus). Now, they have iPhones which are only 1-2 years old but don’t plan on upgrading for another 2-3 years.
    People using the 6S or 7 in 2019 shows how far ahead Apple is.
    08-12-2019 05:19 PM
    To me it shows how little they change.
    Golurk likes this.
    08-12-2019 09:09 PM
    To me it shows how little they change.
    That's fine for Android if you need "innovation" every six months.

Being able to use an iPhone 5S for five years versus a Galaxy S4 (or that overhyped Nexus 5)that maybe got two years of good use shows just how far ahead Apple is.
    08-12-2019 09:15 PM
    No it doesn’t, in my opinion. It shows (and my family members’ reasons for not upgrading) is because it isn’t worth it. The 7 Plus has dual cameras and IP67 and a competent processor...apart from a new design, OLED display, Face ID and OIS on the second camera the iPhone XS there is no big improvement...even less so from the iPhone X to XS.

My family love Apple but don’t see the point in upgrading to something that isn’t quite worth the money and isn’t a huge difference. But at @Ry it seems like you won’t change your opinion, despite me knowing my family best ._. Lol
    08-13-2019 03:43 AM
    That's fine for Android if you need "innovation" every six months.
    There isn't much change in Android phones either these days, the technology is mature and improving only marginally.
    08-13-2019 07:12 AM
    No it doesn’t, in my opinion. It shows (and my family members’ reasons for not upgrading) is because it isn’t worth it. The 7 Plus has dual cameras and IP67 and a competent processor...apart from a new design, OLED display, Face ID and OIS on the second camera the iPhone XS there is no big improvement...even less so from the iPhone X to XS.

My family love Apple but don’t see the point in upgrading to something that isn’t quite worth the money and isn’t a huge difference. But at @Ry it seems like you won’t change your opinion, despite me knowing my family best ._. Lol
    ...it isn't worth it to upgrade year over year because it was so good when it launched. That's my whole point and you're proving it.

Someone can use an iPhone 7 Plus today and be totally happy with it. I wouldn't try to use a OnePlus 3 today. I wouldn't try to use a Galaxy S7 today. Maybe you could use a Pixel 1 today.

So. Far. Ahead.
    Nostromo79 and TgeekB like this.
    08-13-2019 03:12 PM
    ...it isn't worth it to upgrade year over year because it was so good when it launched. That's my whole point and you're proving it.

Someone can use an iPhone 7 Plus today and be totally happy with it. I wouldn't try to use a OnePlus 3 today. I wouldn't try to use a Galaxy S7 today. Maybe you could use a Pixel 1 today.

So. Far. Ahead.
    Used to be. So. Far. Ahead.

Now. So. Far. Behind.

And btw, I am using an S7 Edge today and it works really well. Remember, the S7 Edge is better than the 6 Plus.
    08-13-2019 03:27 PM
    I wouldn't try to use a Galaxy S7 today.
    You must use your phone way above the average user...way. My S7 is operating just fine, in fact I have NO intentions of even looking for another phone unless this one gets run over by my truck, which almost happens daily after incessant phone calls, texts, emails, reminders drive me nutz.

Not. Ahead. What. So. Ever.
    Golurk likes this.
    08-13-2019 05:09 PM
    You must use your phone way above the average user...way. My S7 is operating just fine, in fact I have NO intentions of even looking for another phone unless this one gets run over by my truck, which almost happens daily after incessant phone calls, texts, emails, reminders drive me nutz.

Not. Ahead. What. So. Ever.
    Agreed.
    08-14-2019 05:56 AM
    08-14-2019 02:46 PM
    Used to be. So. Far. Ahead.

Now. So. Far. Behind.

And btw, I am using an S7 Edge today and it works really well. Remember, the S7 Edge is better than the 6 Plus.
    I got out two of the three S & edge phones I used to use. One was a T-Mobile unlocked Edge and the other, factory unlocked. The T-Mobile Edge had so much lag that it was nearly unusable today. The factory unlocked Edge still had some lag but the phone was still useable, just annoying with the lag.

I could not use these phones today.

I still have my iPhone 7+ on an activated sim and it still runs buttery smooth. I sometimes prefer it over my XS Max.
    Ry likes this.
    08-14-2019 05:26 PM
    I got out two of the three S & edge phones I used to use. One was a T-Mobile unlocked Edge and the other, factory unlocked. The T-Mobile Edge had so much lag that it was nearly unusable today. The factory unlocked Edge still had some lag but the phone was still useable, just annoying with the lag.

I could not use these phones today.

I still have my iPhone 7+ on an activated sim and it still runs buttery smooth. I sometimes prefer it over my XS Max.
    Nice to hear you’re still enjoying the 7 Plus..it’s a good phone. However, on my S7 Edge there is absolutely no lag, thanks to the in-built Device Maintenance. What devices were you using?

It is worth noting that mine is an Exynos model whereas US S7 series phones got the Snapdragon 821. Both were flagship processors when released (obviously) but the Exynos versions got the higher benchmarks and I suspect the fact that the US S7s had a quad-core processors compared to octa core processors found on the S7s everywhere else means that they didn’t age as well (performance wise).
    08-16-2019 11:04 AM
    You get it. Android phone is good for geek, because it can be customized in many part. But if you just want a phone to use, iPhone will be a good choice.
    But I think google is now changing this, We can see Android devices more and more fast, effective and good in UI. I think we can still support Android since it has been so much fun with it.
    08-18-2019 11:09 AM
    Of course, snob appeal. "Mine's bigger and better than yours. So there!!" Same people that pay a fortune for blue jeans with a designer label. Of course, I lump people who buy the latest Samsung phone in the same category.
    I have iPhone, Pixel and the latest Samsung. None of my purchases have anything to do with Snob Appeal.
    Morty2264, Golurk and Ry like this.
    08-18-2019 11:24 AM
    I have iPhone, Pixel and the latest Samsung. None of my purchases have anything to do with Snob Appeal.
    Of course not. You are obviously a sensible person who's only objective was buying the best tool for your money. <sigh>
    08-18-2019 12:32 PM
    I think "Snob Appeal" happens in some cases but definitely not all. As an example, when I (painfully) considered which new phone to get, a Samsung flagship phone actually met my needs. It's often a case of "what device will best meet my needs?" and not "which device is the most popular?"

I've actually avoided Samsung for the longest time *because* it was a brand that was so popular; but now I think, "if the phone meets my needs and will give me the best value for my money, brands don't matter."

By the same token, my brother could care less about phones, brands, and Snob Appeal; but started to use iPhones for work because the UI was smooth, easy to use, and he could just "get the job done." He hates phones, but definitely swears by his iPhones.

Brand purchases often happen but I think a lot of us phone geeks will just choose a phone that will best suit our day-to-day lives - and if the phone happens to be a brand that's "in," then so be it.
    gendo667, Golurk and mustang7757 like this.
    08-18-2019 04:16 PM
    Of course not. You are obviously a sensible person who's only objective was buying the best tool for your money.
    You shouldn't be so judgmental on people's buying habits. I don't need to be sensible when I make purchases. I've worked many years to get to the point where I spend it as I choose. I'm not worried about buying the best tool for my money because life is too short for that. If that makes me a snob I'll wear that label proudly but I don't think so.
    Golurk and Ry like this.
    08-18-2019 05:13 PM
    I think "Snob Appeal" happens in some cases but definitely not all. As an example, when I (painfully) considered which new phone to get, a Samsung flagship phone actually met my needs. It's often a case of "what device will best meet my needs?" and not "which device is the most popular?"

I've actually avoided Samsung for the longest time *because* it was a brand that was so popular; but now I think, "if the phone meets my needs and will give me the best value for my money, brands don't matter."

By the same token, my brother could care less about phones, brands, and Snob Appeal; but started to use iPhones for work because the UI was smooth, easy to use, and he could just "get the job done." He hates phones, but definitely swears by his iPhones.

Brand purchases often happen but I think a lot of us phone geeks will just choose a phone that will best suit our day-to-day lives - and if the phone happens to be a brand that's "in," then so be it.
    Spot on.

I haven't been stuck on one brand since the real Motorola vanished.
    Morty2264, kct1975 and mustang7757 like this.
    08-18-2019 08:34 PM
105 ... 2345