This article, Oh dear AC

TheWounded

Nov 27, 2018
Visit site
Why oh why, This article on AC.
With all the adverts for Amazon and adverts masquerading as aricles, this site is scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Used to be a good site for Android news, now there is hardly anything worth reading.
Anyone else despair at what this site has become?

Attachments

• 32103.jpg
    32103.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 88

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
The only things left on Android Central are the *OCCALSIONAL* good article and this *AMAZING* forum community (although that is *highly* dependent on several really amazing forum members that I will name if you'd like).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Why oh why, This article on AC.
With all the adverts for Amazon and adverts masquerading as aricles, this site is scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Used to be a good site for Android news, now there is hardly anything worth reading.
Anyone else despair at what this site has become?
It's better than the Pokemon Go invasion.....lol

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
It's better than the Pokemon Go invasion.....lol
Well, these problems are as bad as the Pokemon Go invasion (or even worse IMO). I wouldn't have stayed on this forum if it wasn't for amazing super-nice, super-helpful, super-welcoming and super-knowledgeful members like Rukbat, B.Diddy, Laura Knotek and few others.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, these problems are as bad as the Pokemon Go invasion (or even worse IMO). I wouldn't have stayed on this forum if it wasn't for amazing super-nice, super-helpful, super-welcoming and super-knowledgeful members like Rukbat, B.Diddy, Laura Knotek and few others.
The most amazing thing about all the names you mentioned and the rest of team is that we are all volunteers and most with fulltime jobs or a business to run.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Note that @milleniumdroid, who has spoken so kindly of others, also helps to make the forums enjoyable. He posts regularly, attends to his threads, acknowledges and responds to replies, is good-humoured, and is ready to share his knowledge of interesting techy stuff.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I never really read the blogs in the first place...

Keep in mind that the blogs are pretty much separate from the forums, with different staff. Just because the blogs go one way doesn't mean those of us on the forum's side are in lockstep agreement.

Besides, there's still plenty of news that pops up in the forums. Maybe even more than the blogs. No one says you must participate in everything on the site, so you are more than welcome to stick around here.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your kind response. I'm glad that you enjoy our forums, and I'm glad that you value the contributions from me and all the other awesome members here.

Please do continue to check out the forums and also contribute your help as well. It is because of amazing members like you that the Android Central forums are such a great community.

TheWounded

Nov 27, 2018
Visit site
Got to agree, the forums are the best part of android central.
Have solved a few issues over the years with suggestions from forum members.
Just sad too see a once great site become advert after advert, or articles totally irrelevant to Android news.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I admit that I too don't always read the blogs or articles - if something catches my eye, I'll give it a read and maybe comment. But I'm a forum junkie through and though!

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed this for a while too. I just think it's a reflection of a mature market for these devices and not much to report on. Most things are now just marginal or inconsequential improvements that the manufacturers marketing dept tell us are groundbreaking. I still have my S7, works fine and I'm not looking for a new phone, the new ones won't really improve my experience so who cares.

Back some years ago many of the improvements made a big deal in the way we could utilize technology and there was much to discuss and write about. Now they talk about bezels...like that's a big deal.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I admit to not reading much on the main "blog" or front page, it's just too hard to find the good articles anymore with so much other stuff being posted. If I catch that Jerry has posted a particularly in-depth technical piece I might latch on and read through it, those are usually excellent.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
It's tough ... I came to this site through the blog was a lot more helpful and focused on the tech of Android. The articles were so much more helpful. When I finally made my way to the forums, my interest in the blog just drifted away.

I think this forum community is much more powerful for users than the blog, especially now. I think the community is really sharp, the staff/volunteers are balanced and engaging. The structure of topics and posts are well organized and kept in order and on topic for the most part.

Blog has just fallen off so much ... I'll read Jerry's stuff ... He's good about 85% of the time ... Martonik's stuff ... He's good about 70% of the time ... Anything else is a roll of the dice.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's tough ... I came to this site through the blog was a lot more helpful and focused on the tech of Android. The articles were so much more helpful. When I finally made my way to the forums, my interest in the blog just drifted away.

I think this forum community is much more powerful for users than the blog, especially now. I think the community is really sharp, the staff/volunteers are balanced and engaging. The structure of topics and posts are well organized and kept in order and on topic for the most part.

Blog has just fallen off so much ... I'll read Jerry's stuff ... He's good about 85% of the time ... Martonik's stuff ... He's good about 70% of the time ... Anything else is a roll of the dice.
And let's not forget that some of the blog articles are snapshots of the subforum threads. I don't object to them because they do stimulate conversation but I'm not sure that's the objective.
I also guess we all have to learn to admit... at least to ourselves... that some of what we dislike pays the bills.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
And let's not forget that some of the blog articles are snapshots of the subforum threads. I don't object to them because they do stimulate conversation but I'm not sure that's the objective.
I also guess we all have to learn to admit... at least to ourselves... that some of what we dislike pays the bills.

Ya know... I've never quite understood WHY they do that? I guess, like you said, to stimulate conversation on the blog side, maybe??

But is that a sign that the journalism just isn't there to serve that same purpose? Topics just not strong enough...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

The way things are now you have to get into everything.
For example you take a Transmission shop , they only repair trans , but slowly by slowly they start doing other things like Axle, brakes,tune up ect..how many trans can they see in a given month so they have to get involved with other work . You can't just specialize in one thing anymore just don't cut it, so you see few thrown like this out there .I could be wrong but that's how I see it and not upset how they going about their business.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
The way things are now you have to get into everything.
For example you take a Transmission shop , they only repair trans , but slowly by slowly they start doing other things like Axle, brakes,tune up ect..how many trans can they see in a given month so they have to get involved with other work . You can't just specialize in one thing anymore just don't cut it, so you see few thrown like this out there .I could be wrong but that's how I see it and not upset how they going about their business.

Perhaps that's the genuine root of it. We (AC/MoNA) have so much space on this page and the site needs to be more profitable. We gotta change the mix of what we've got going on with that screen real estate.

To your example... If a garage has one bay, do you want to tie it up for an hour with an oil change or an hour placing a new set of tires? Either way an hour is spent.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Exactly
Perhaps that's the genuine root of it. We (AC/MoNA) have so much space on this page and the site needs to be more profitable. We gotta change the mix of what we've got going on with that screen real estate.

To your example... If a garage has one bay, do you want to tie it up for an hour with an oil change our and hour placing a new set of tires? Either way an hour is spent.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

To your example... If a garage has one bay, do you want to tie it up for an hour with an oil change or an hour placing a new set of tires? Either way an hour is spent.

I definitely agree with this. You have to mix it up so it is more appealing to other sample sizes. Plus, a lot of users on this specific forum site use a variety of platforms including iOS, so it's good to be versatile.