Do I Really Need A New Smartphone

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
It's funny, because I agree with most people here...the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude. Thing is, my experiences over the last five years or so have been "broke".
It started with my LG G3, which died the first month, so I got a free replacement. After two years, that one died the same way.
So I bought a Le Eco device when they made their big debut here. It actually was a very impressive device. The battery was amazing and it was very smooth and fast to use. Problem was, it got splashed by my wife's drink when it was sitting on the coffee table and it just died. Boom. Gone. They sent a replacement, but by that time the company had kind fizzled out and I was not eager to deal with basically zero device support, so I sold that one and bought an LG G6.
That one lasted me almost two years, but suddenly and unexpectedly, the microphone died...which basically meant I could hear people on the phone, but they couldn't hear me. Being that it was basically my upgrade window, I decided to just go ahead and get the Galaxy S9+. Another fantastic device...and I am actually hoping it will last me longer than the last few have, especially since this one cost more than any of the previous devices did.
We shall see.

So I'm actually impressed that anyone ever keeps a phone so long. Two years is pretty much the limit in my experience...and not even from choice, but from necessity.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I see you are a newer user here - welcome to Android Central!

As a smartphone enthusiast, I feel like the "correct" answer to your question will always be "yes." I can barely go 16-18 months without upgrading - props to you for going a full four years! Around these parts, you should get awards for that! 🤣

However, if you still want to keep in tune with the Nexus experience, I'd recommend a Pixel 3, or even a Pixel 2 XL if you don't need the latest and greatest. It will have a better camera than the 6P (the 2 or 3 will) and you will still have the smooth, pure Android experience.

But, it's a fairly subjective topic. If you feel like you need to spend the money on it, then go for it! But if you would rather wait and your phone isn't showing too much lag, then wait! It's all up to you!

jshaas2

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
One year - at best!?! Thankfully, my office buys new mobile devices each year, and with a non-profit discount with Verizon, we are normally able to sell one-year old devices not much less than what we pay for new ones. We are looking forward to the Pixel 4 XL.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thing is, my experiences over the last five years or so have been "broke".

They say extended warranties are statistically a waste of money. I tend to agree, with the exception of smartphones. It seems manufacturers are in a race to make the most fragile phone possible.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
They say extended warranties are statistically a waste of money. I tend to agree, with the exception of smartphones. It seems manufacturers are in a race to make the most fragile phone possible.

It's why I will never buy another phone without some degree of tested waterproofing. It's one thing I can do that will save me frustration with a device.
I also use protective cases and tempered glass screen protection.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's why I will never buy another phone without some degree of tested waterproofing. It's one thing I can do that will save me frustration with a device.
I also use protective cases and tempered glass screen protection.
Water proofing doesn't exist with phones. There's lab tested water resistance, but even that is little more than a marketing gimmick. It doesn't account for real world variables, and manufacturers don't warranty water damage. That would fall under accident insurance.

Wireless Gadget

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Still using my Sony Z Ultra, big screen, sharp resolution. I replaced the battery from eBay and with the help of YouTube videos, it will last quite along time.

Did I mention it's great for GPS navigation too in my car, though I cannot trust the water resistance anymore. Still a great phone.

Rickey Shortt

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
A long as performance is still tolerable, I can stand not being on the latest version of Android for a few months, but once it stops getting security updates it's time for a new phone pretty quick.

sipock97

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I am normally a every two year guy. Using Note 8 now and completely happy with it, so probably hold out until possibly the S11, or Pixel 4

Baz S

Mar 28, 2018
Visit site
It's all well and good using a phone till its truly ready to be replaced, but what about OS security of the elderly device.

I don't follow the rooting community so I don't know if Nexus P can be updated to the later pie, oreo, or Q.
Thing is the OS is very much tied to the hard working hardware regardless how old it is and if it connects to the Internet and it used apps then is open to the dangerous elements out there.

So regardless how tough as nails and lond last the hardware is, if it's OS is not up to date with security today then it's a danger to itself and to others it communicates with.

I use my phone till it either stops working or it doesn't meed my needs anymore. I had an OG Pixel and skipped every new version for years until it started dying on me. Then I got a Huawei Mate 20 pro.

That said, I advise the OP to update to some more recent that is on the approved list for future updates. It doesn't have to be expensive, there many great Android One phones out there that will get updates promptly for a good while.
You don't have to use all its fancy features, just stick to the simple phone calls texting and such.

The Nexus can be a handy secondary phone for emergency or other uses.

That's my POV.

Goldfinger321

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like everyone has pretty much confirmed my suspicion. Keep my Nexus 6P until it croaks.

The battery isn't an issue. I'm not a heavy user. While I have watched videos in the past, I no do since I purchased a tablet. I honestly don't know if this extends the battery life but I start charging it when it get to around 20% and only charge it to around 80%. That's enough to get me through the day as I only use it to check emails, text and occasional browsing.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Water proofing doesn't exist with phones. There's lab tested water resistance, but even that is little more than a marketing gimmick. It doesn't account for real world variables, and manufacturers don't warranty water damage. That would fall under accident insurance.

Sweet jesus...you know what I meant. No need to be pedantic.
My needs don't extend beyond occasional rain or, as detailed previously, random splashes from my wife's drink.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I'd say to save yourself the existential angst and do without. This is, of course, as I count the hours (51.5 as of 12:31 PM EDST on 8-5-2019) until the Samsung Unpacked Event on Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 4 PM EDST.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
To help ease the security concerns, this article covers a lot about it and just how low the risks of infection are.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3411440/android-security-scares.html

Sweet jesus...you know what I meant. No need to be pedantic.

Considering the growing number of people that honestly think their phones are waterproof, and can do things like take them into chemically treated swimming pools or oceans, I make no assumptions when people make those claims.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I'll be the anti-upgrader here. I have the S7, still meets my needs, I have no desire to upgrade since the improvements have been marginal not ground breaking. Like others have said, monitor battery usage, mine is not what it once was but I can still manage by paying attention to it. Until it goes up on me I'll keep it, but make sure you're backed up at all times which will make the transition a smooth one.

It's been a long while since I've been around AC or Mobile Nations in general. The last time I chose to upgrade was from a Samsung Galaxy 4 to a Galaxy 7 because of the camera. The battery began to swell and the case came unglued about a year ago. I then replaced it with a Galaxy 9. When the 10 came out, I decided that there wasn't enough difference to make it worth my while to upgrade. I will probably keep this for another 2-3 years until whatever is new and fabulous becomes standard equipment.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello

I'm still using my reliable Nexus 6P as my smartphone.

Have been debating whether I should get a new one or not. After all, mine is 4 years old. I guess the main question I have is what can a new phone do that the Nexus 6P can't?

I can text, email and watch videos.

Is it worth spending money on something that may not be needed?

If you can do everything you need to do and are happy with any compromises that you have to deal with currently, keep using your device.

Goldfinger321

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, which smartphone being manufactured today would come closest to the specs of the Nexus 6P?

Or is the Nexus such a dinosaur, there's nothing to compare it with today.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm