How long do you normally keep your phone?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The funny thing is I don't really use any phone to its full potential. I don't do any mobile gaming and j don't use my phone as a work device. I just watch Hulu and some YouTube. And I browse using chrome and apps like AC forums or Twitter. Otherwise it's a straight up communication device. So I could get away with keeping a phone for as long as it's supported. I just get tempted by the gimmicks and features of the newest devices....damn marketing gets me every time

You do have a point - a lot of manufacturers really do excellent marketing to get potential buyers' attention!

anon(10598448)

Apr 15, 2019
Visit site
I usually never get rid of them. I sold my S9+ and iPhone 8+ back in March.

I've been in the habit of buying a few different phones each year but besides the S10+, I think I'm not buying any more phones this year. I feel I wasted money on a Note 9 when my Note 8 was a better phone in my opinion and is still working amazingly well two years after purchasing. The battery on that Note 8 is still just as it was on day one.

Phones are lasting longer, battery tech is getting much better and I'm really considering buying a new phone, Android and an iPhone every other year.

RandyJoshua

Aug 11, 2019
Visit site
In general I just use it like a year or less when a new interesting phone is coming. The last years I always ended up using iOS.

The thing is, I have my iPhone X for like 2 years or so, and I’m really content with it. I haven’t used a phone this long since years. And I also waited for the Note 10. And that time has come :D

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
In general I just use it like a year or less when a new interesting phone is coming. The last years I always ended up using iOS.

The thing is, I have my iPhone X for like 2 years or so, and I’m really content with it. I haven’t used a phone this long since years. And I also waited for the Note 10. And that time has come :D

Sounds like a good time for a switch! The iPhone X was a pretty good device too!

RandyJoshua

Aug 11, 2019
Visit site
I think the last time I kept a phone they long was with the iPhone 3gs

Truth to be told, the 3Gs was a great phone :D

Sounds like a good time for a switch! The iPhone X was a pretty good device too!

Yeah it really is, even tough dual sim does exist a long time. This will be my first time using it all around.

Thankfully Samsung haves something like dual messenger so I can switch between private and work whenever I want.

WinTheDay

Aug 19, 2019
Visit site
Used to buy the latest and greatest every year, but with how ridiculous pricing has become I've started holding onto phones longer.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I personally only buy a new device when it either becomes totally obsolete, cannot be used in a place that I moved to due to compatibility issues, just dies, has hardware issues or otherwise needs to be replaced for some good reason. I used my first Android device (Galaxy Tab 2) for a WHOPPING 4.5 YEARS (late Dec 2012 to July 1st 2017).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Truth to be told, the 3Gs was a great phone :D

Yeah it really is, even tough dual sim does exist a long time. This will be my first time using it all around.

Thankfully Samsung haves something like dual messenger so I can switch between private and work whenever I want.

Glad your Samsung phone is going to work for you!

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I personally only buy a new device when it either becomes totally obsolete, cannot be used in a place that I moved to due to compatibility issues, just dies, has hardware issues or otherwise needs to be replaced for some good reason. I used my first Android device (Galaxy Tab 2) for a WHOPPING 4.5 YEARS (late Dec 2012 to July 1st 2017).

That's impressive!

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
The S8 was the first phone I've kept for two years since my old iPhone 4. And, that was only because of the contract we were locked into with AT&T. I totally plan on keeping my S10 for a couple of years. 5G should be enticing by that point.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I should try a different launcher. I've always stuck with stock just cuz while I like customization I feel like the amount of options you have can be overwhelming

jetpacksam

Apr 20, 2019
Visit site
I can't see upgrading from my s10+ for at least 3 years.
I don't upgrade unless the lag becomes unbearable or it's behind on Android version.
With all the customization you can do, you can easily make it a "new" phone as often as you want.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Went from a Huawei Y300 to an iPhone 5, then iPhone 5s (because Touch ID) before getting my S7 Edge. It’s showing its age now, with a physical home button, thick bezels and single (yet still competent even in low light) rear camera and old processor. However, due to the sheer amount of choice right now and upcoming phones I probably won’t upgrade until next year.

When you guys upgrade, do you want a phone that’s better than your old one in every possible way? Or are you content to have incremental/selective upgrades and even some slight downgrades? I go along with the former which makes choosing a new phone quite hard >_<

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it depends on what you're coming from. If you upgrade annually then more than likely it's going to be iterative. If you wait several years then it will be better in nearly every way

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Went from a Huawei Y300 to an iPhone 5, then iPhone 5s (because Touch ID) before getting my S7 Edge. It’s showing its age now, with a physical home button, thick bezels and single (yet still competent even in low light) rear camera and old processor. However, due to the sheer amount of choice right now and upcoming phones I probably won’t upgrade until next year.

When you guys upgrade, do you want a phone that’s better than your old one in every possible way? Or are you content to have incremental/selective upgrades and even some slight downgrades? I go along with the former which makes choosing a new phone quite hard >_<

I try to use a different manufacturer each time I upgrade and so I look for improvements in most facets of the device - like newer processor, better display, bigger battery, better camera... So you are right, choosing a new one is quite hard and even exhausting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC