Echo Auto. Anyone using it?

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I've been trying out an echo Auto for a while. It's an interesting device with some good potential. Some of my thoughts so far -
The voice recognition is great, though a constant data connection is needed. Still has a few bugs working together with the head unit of the car, unless you're willing to not use the cars infotainment at all, the permissions and bt device sequence connection affects usability.
Set up was easy, but, in all, unless you have a vehicle which does not have Bluetooth for media, this device is redundant. You need your phone for it to work, but you could do everything on your phones Alexa app, or even GA without it. It's biggest plus will be getting good digital quality bluetooth streaming to my car stereo along with whatever else was being split off between the car and phones speakers.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I’m on the list but have not received my invite yet. Seems like it’s been a long long time.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Updated usage from a phone over bt only car. The Echo has integrated well. Audio is now bt streaming perfectly with voice or manual input to get things started .
The integration with apps, especially Maps, is very good. Asking Alexa to navigate opens up the map straight to the driving screen, saving a need to tap 'start'.
It seems just as capable of hands free texting as well.
The audio quality is better than the bt adapter to aux input workaround I've tried in the past. I'll be keeping it.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
When comparing between using the echo auto in an older car without media over bt vs using a car able to do phone and media over bt, the newer cars built in head unit wins. The echo auto seems helpful only on cars without media over bt. There is also glitches as the previously paired phone”fights” for the bt connection with the echo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair