PSA: Use only chargers you trust

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Jeff Rossen (former Today Show contributor with the Rossen Reports segments) posted a warning video to Facebook earlier warning that the folks at a devcon event have shown a successful hack of the wall-wart power adapters for mobile devices. They've found a way to "inject" them with malware (I hate that he says "mallware") that can then allow a remote hack of your device. Bottom line - use only those power adapters you trust.

His post just confirms my trepidation of using USB ports supplied in airport waiting areas, airplanes, hotel rooms and cruise ship staterooms. When I travel I bring an Anker USB charging station with one USB-C four USB-A ports (plugs into a 110 outlet), plus Anker 16,000 mAh and Anker 5,000 mAh battery packs and refuse to plug in to those public USB ports.

Unfortunately, it was a video posted directly on his Facebook page so the best I can do is link to his page there, where you can watch the video - https://www.facebook.com/pg/rossenreports/posts/?ref=page_internal

He did not post the video to Twitter...

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
Good advice but this stuff has been going on for years. Long enough it has it's own term now.. Juice Jacking lol. Aside from the usual warnings that pop-up around Defcon of this, it got highlighted in a larger capacity this time in part because of this O.MG cable - http://mg.lol/blog/defcon-2019/

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
People actually use those public outlets? Any time I've seen one, it's those cheap 500mA max outlets that can't even charge a phone unless it's powered off.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Is there a way to check these ports for safety? Here at my university our main building has a student rest area in the main atrium and there are of course a gazillion public USB ports. I haven't used/trusted them because this school is literally full of nerds, including some computer science students that openly/proudly brag to me about their hefty piracy habits and visiting the illegal (darknet) part of the deep web... For all I know those ports might be rigged by some disgruntled computer science and/or cybersecurity students with Cellebrite devices or something to collect my data. And no, I'm NOT paranoid.