So I was always wondering why Android crash reboots or even goes into a bootloop without giving the user at least some basic info about what the problem might be. The Windows blue screen of death (including the new sad smiley one on Windows 8/10) always gives some basic info like an error type, etc... Why doesn't Android have this as a standard feature? That way it would be easier to fix phones and learn about them at then same time. The only thing I've seen look similar to a Windows BSOD on Android was back in middle school when one classmate's very low-end phone out of nowhere spewed out a blue screen with 4-digit hexadecimal codes in gray and black rectangles, arranged as a table, covering part of it.
    12-04-2019 03:38 PM
    So I was always wondering why Android crash reboots or even goes into a bootloop without giving the user at least some basic info about what the problem might be. The Windows blue screen of death (including the new sad smiley one on Windows 8/10) always gives some basic info like an error type, etc... Why doesn't Android have this as a standard feature? That way it would be easier to fix phones and learn about them at then same time. The only thing I've seen look similar to a Windows BSOD on Android was back in middle school when one classmate's very low-end phone out of nowhere spewed out a blue screen with 4-digit hexadecimal codes in gray and black rectangles, arranged as a table, covering part of it.
    You’ve answer your own question. It would be easier to fix. This way you throw in garbage and just buy replacement.
    milleniumdroid and kct1975 like this.
    12-04-2019 04:05 PM
    You’ve answer your own question. It would be easier to fix. This way you throw in garbage and just buy replacement.
    Well, I like fixing stuff instead of throwing away if said device was good.
    12-04-2019 04:51 PM
    Well, I like fixing stuff instead of throwing away if said device was good.
    Yes, so do I but the manufacturers don't want you to. Hence the answer.
    milleniumdroid and kct1975 like this.
    12-04-2019 05:50 PM
    Yes, so do I but the manufacturers don't want you to. Hence the answer.
    Yeah. Agreed. I wish it were like the old days of immortal devices.
    12-04-2019 05:52 PM
    Does Linux have an equivalent? I read about kernel panic, but it sounds like that can manifest in a couple of different ways.
    milleniumdroid likes this.
    12-04-2019 07:27 PM
    Does Linux have an equivalent? I read about kernel panic, but it sounds like that can manifest in a couple of different ways.
    Kernel Panic and Stack Trace is all I can find. Android should at least have that show up instead of just rebooting if an error occurs
    12-04-2019 07:40 PM
    I don't know anyone that could ever make sense of BSOD's. I'm sure some hardcore users could, but I'd wager 99.999% of users just rebooted the computer without even reading the error info.

So the question is why would they have something like that on Android when the vast majority isn't likely to care or be able to make sense of it?
    12-04-2019 11:41 PM
    I don't know anyone that could ever make sense of BSOD's. I'm sure some hardcore users could, but I'd wager 99.999% of users just rebooted the computer without even reading the error info.

So the question is why would they have something like that on Android when the vast majority isn't likely to care or be able to make sense of it?
    Well, I know what quite a number of those error type codes meand and if I see a new one I Google it. Such stuff has helped me detect a dying SSD on a PC. If Android had this type of reporting, I could have a repair shop change whatever component is dying should the need for that occur before I am ready to plunk down several hundred bucks for a new device.
    12-05-2019 01:16 PM
    Well, I know what quite a number of those error type codes meand and if I see a new one I Google it. Such stuff has helped me detect a dying SSD on a PC. If Android had this type of reporting, I could have a repair shop change whatever component is dying should the need for that occur before I am ready to plunk down several hundred bucks for a new device.
    Phones are simple to repair by comparison. With the exception of a few components that are easily diagnosed without the need for error reporting (camera modules, battery, screen, etc), everything else is soldered to the motherboard that would just be completely replaced. So realistically, would that reporting be useful enough to matter?
    12-05-2019 02:06 PM
    They give some indication
    Samsung blue screen back in the day , pixel black screen of death, also the famous dead bot with belly open lol.
    12-05-2019 02:09 PM
    They give some indication
    Samsung blue screen back in the day , pixel black screen of death, also the famous dead bot with belly open lol.
    That should be available as screen saver
    12-05-2019 03:53 PM
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/go...creen.html?amp
    mustang7757 likes this.
    12-05-2019 03:57 PM
    I'm sure it's available
    12-05-2019 04:15 PM
    I'm sure it's available
    Static screen savers, especially blue, will fry your OLED display quickly
    mustang7757 likes this.
    12-05-2019 05:14 PM
    Back in the days on my other Samsung phones I had a light blue wallpaper set as home screen never had burn in , this is since s2 to current and same with iPhones ,Google,one plus just never experienced it . I've seen my father's LCD with screen burn in but never had my own personal devices with either lcd or amloed
    12-05-2019 05:22 PM
    Blue wears out the fastest. And you don't have to use plain blue to cause burn-in. My S8 is badly burnt in from excessive whatsapp addiction.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    12-05-2019 08:54 PM
    Blue wears out the fastest. And you don't have to use plain blue to cause burn-in. My S8 is badly burnt in from excessive whatsapp addiction.
    Lol...my s8+ needs battery never put one in only thing on that display was redish tint
    12-05-2019 09:29 PM

I never could make heads or tails of the codes you'd some times get. Even if I Googled them, most of the instructions to correct the issue were so long and complicated that my brain would hurt just trying to follow along. If the OP is one that enjoys and/or can follow stuff like that, more power to them. I was a restart and hope person myself. Even with Android, I offer advice some times and later sit back and think, it's the logical approach but man is it a lot of work.
    12-06-2019 12:55 AM
    I never could make heads or tails of the codes you'd some times get. Even if I Googled them, most of the instructions to correct the issue were so long and complicated that my brain would hurt just trying to follow along. If the OP is one that enjoys and/or can follow stuff like that, more power to them. I was a restart and hope person myself. Even with Android, I offer advice some times and later sit back and think, it's the logical approach but man is it a lot of work.
    Being the default source of tech support for my family means bluescreens are crucial to fixing issues. And if Windows produces them even though most people don't, there is no reason for Android not to.
    12-06-2019 03:12 AM
    Being the default source of tech support for my family means bluescreens are crucial to fixing issues. And if Windows produces them even though most people don't, there is no reason for Android not to.
    The reason is simple for Android OEMs as they just have no interest supporting the “repair” business model. Do the minimum required for repair so people will replace instead. The “replace” model is where the OEMs along with Android Google makes their sales each year.

Windows in a desktop or laptop doesn’t require and wasn’t built along the exact same business model. It’s why even with it’s OS dominance in traditional OS, Microsoft lost to Google as the primary volume player in the mobile OS competition.
    12-06-2019 06:53 AM
    Do Macs have a BSOD analog as well, or is it just a blank screen? I remember waaay back in the day, it would just show you the little unhappy or sick Mac icon without any clue as to what was wrong, and you would just have to bring it to an Apple service center.
    12-06-2019 11:56 AM
    Do Macs have a BSOD analog as well, or is it just a blank screen? I remember waaay back in the day, it would just show you the little unhappy or sick Mac icon without any clue as to what was wrong, and you would just have to bring it to an Apple service center.
    There is kernel Panic as MacOS is BSD based
    12-06-2019 04:27 PM