No RCS until it has backup/restore support

tpriddy

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I don't want RCS. I don't want a messaging system that cannot be backed-up then restored after factory reset or device replacement.

I use SyncTech Pty Ltd's SMS Backup & Restore utility every night to save my SMS/MMS messages to my Google Drive. If I need to replace my phone I can restore my entire SMS/MMS history compete with picture attachments.

Google's cloud will automatically back up the text of SMS/MMS messaging, but will not back up and restore the picture attachments. Google Pixel Support suggests we can extract the pictures from the messages, save them to the photo gallery and Google cloud will back them up from there, but it is not acceptable to lose the context of those pictures in our conversations.

When will RCS backup/restore be supported by Google or a third party app? If you adopt RCS before backup/restore support is available you're saying it's okay to lose your messaging history whenever disaster strikes.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Good question, as Google RCS just came out , dont know how it will back up, maybe some other members can chime in and experience back up with Google RCS.

ncapp11

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't want RCS. I don't want a messaging system that cannot be backed-up then restored after factory reset or device replacement.

I use SyncTech Pty Ltd's SMS Backup & Restore utility every night to save my SMS/MMS messages to my Google Drive. If I need to replace my phone I can restore my entire SMS/MMS history compete with picture attachments.

Google's cloud will automatically back up the text of SMS/MMS messaging, but will not back up and restore the picture attachments. Google Pixel Support suggests we can extract the pictures from the messages, save them to the photo gallery and Google cloud will back them up from there, but it is not acceptable to lose the context of those pictures in our conversations.

When will RCS backup/restore be supported by Google or a third party app? If you adopt RCS before backup/restore support is available you're saying it's okay to lose your messaging history whenever disaster strikes.

Google One has a backup option. Does that not back up the media in RCS messages? I guess I just assumed it did. It doesn't call out RCS so maybe it doesn't.