PSA: "Dog-repelling" apps are DANGEROUS!

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Just thought it might be a good idea to let everyone know. Two years ago, I downloaded one of these apps in hopes of silencing an annoying loud and scary herd of vicious dogs in a yard I was passing by. The high pitched tone produced by the app not only annoyed the living daylights out of me, but also caused the vicious dog herd to go completely insane and become quite a hazard (more than quadrupled barking intensity, loud enraged growling, almost jumping over decently tall fence in hopes of attacking me... ). Whatever you do, do not impulsively download/use one of these apps if you know what's good for you :). I'm pretty sure there are better ways to deal with bothersome vicious attack dogs.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
re: PSA: "Dog-repelling" apps are DANGEROUS!

I'm looking into a very high frequency device since my little dog got mauled by a neapolitan mastiff that climbed over a six foot fence with contemptuous ease.
I would like mace or pepper spray but they are illegal here. So is bludgeoning an attacking dog with an iron bar...
These devices send 120db of dog whistle frequency at the dog allegedly deterring them...
I actually tackled the attacking mastiff and we were rolling around on the street bleeding everywhere while my partner picked up our little dog. Cops weren't interested at all after the fact. I'll let you know if this thing works mate

Happy New Year to all!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Holy frijoles, I hope you didn't get too injured by that dog! Dog bites can be a real problem in terms of infection. It's also surprising that Animal Control didn't take any action.:-\

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site

I'm looking into a very high frequency device since my little dog got mauled by a neapolitan mastiff that climbed over a six foot fence with contemptuous ease.
I would like mace or pepper spray but they are illegal here. So is bludgeoning an attacking dog with an iron bar...
These devices send 120db of dog whistle frequency at the dog allegedly deterring them...
I actually tackled the attacking mastiff and we were rolling around on the street bleeding everywhere while my partner picked up our little dog. Cops weren't interested at all after the fact. I'll let you know if this thing works mate

Happy New Year to all!
Get a certified dog repellent device. An app would probably result in the attack dog hurting you pretty bad.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site

Well, the high frequency thing did absolutely nothing, save your money.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site

That doesn't sound good at all. I am terrified of dogs at the best of times. Vicious attack dogs just intensify that fear. Thanks for the heads up. You didn't get hurt did you?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I carry a stout walking sticks. It's a deterrent for dogs and drunks both. I've hit only one dog. He's a psycho and came up behind me and my dog when we were walking. My dog was on the sidewalk and the psycho came down a two-foot high wall and pounced on Diego's back. It got one good whack in and he was gone. I also had a Weimaraner attack Diego one day but I got Diego's leash around the dogs neck and held him up. His owner came running saying, "Don't hurt my dog."

Lexamundo

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
I seriously doubt that any form of defense against a dog attacking YOU, is illegal. The only debate is about which form works. When I run I carry OC spray and a defense knife.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non