Manufacturers hate users making "ultimate" devices

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Everyone here knows very well that I hate the lockdowns that modern devices have. Be it locked bootloaders (looking at you, SM-G950U) or, in the case of one of my unlockable tablet, the stock Pie ROM sabotaging root after one reboot, then soft bricking itself after a fix attempt. Oh, and the same tablet wouldn't respond to kernel controls be it with stock or custom ROM, despite root working when I tried.

The thing is, looking back on the past, I noticed that there was actually a turning point and that is what I want to discuss. For those of you who are new to Android, haven't paid attention to the early Android era or haven't read my other posts, in the early days of Android there was a MAJOR modding community. At that time, any UI or under-the-hood mod existed, and if you had the coding knowledge needed you could make your own. A few downloads and some tedious flashing later, you made your device 10-20x better than it was out of the box. You could unofficially update to as many new Android versions as your device really could hardware wise. Eventually, stuff started getting a bit too good. Then in 2014 the first phones powerful enough to be used even for 4 or more years came out. Of course, the modders over at XDA as always went crazy making supremely attractive custom ROMs (just watch High on Android's Galaxy S5 ROM videos from the era and you'll see what I'm talking about). Then comes the big elephant in the room. I think that at that point, companies realized that people were going to make "ultimate" phone and setups that were so good they would keep for as long as the hardware lasted. Already even years before HTC started adding non-removable batteries. Most people hated this hence why Samsung and others were attracting more customers. But then those companies, seeing an opportunity to make a quick buck added the non-removable battery. Of course, that didn't entirely stop battery replacements. Then of course came locked bootloaders, various low level attempts to mess with custom ROMs, etc... They don't want us to make a custom "too good" device for ourselves that we won't replace for 5 years or even more. And that is a very sad thing.

I'm not sure whether my theory is right, but whatever.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: Manufacturers hate users making "ultimate" devices

I think you make some very valid, realistic points that are definitely happening. The more control they have, the easier it is for them to control the average consumers rate at which they buy that new expensive phone. They think of every possible way to get us to buy more phones, at higher prices. Just look at what Apple's been caught doing over the last few years..... it's sickening :-[

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

I strongly dislike the locking-down of things in Android devices, but I'm not sure that the numbers of users who like to modify and tweak are great enough to be of concern to the manufacturers and software companies.
It's true that if you have a good phone which is anything like modern, you're unlikely to feel the need for anything new for several years. Good performance, good display, good battery, good camera etc....what more do you need?

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site

Well, locking down the bootloader means I'm STUCK with the last OS update. Take my S8 for example. Got it new last summer to save on money, it has Android 9 and works great so far. I admit that the need for crazy hacks is gone (many, like SWAP memory, are now built into phones for years). But sometimes I feel the desire to wanna change something and we'll I'm kinda stuck due to the locked bootloader. Heck even if it was unlocked, ROMs these days carry a huge risk (much more than before) of messing up calling and so on which is not something I'm willing to deal with. And my tablet has been a nut job for modification, where custom ROMs almost fried the SoC. Seriously? If it weren't for the GPU-induced extreme heat, those ROMs would be great as they are 20x snappier than stock. I guess I will just have to put up with these modern day first-world problems and not try and hack my way into saving money by doubling device life like I used to.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

It could be my imagination, and I'm very definitely not an expert, but it does seem to me that the golden days of rooting and romming have passed. The last time I tried, I could not get past the locked bootloader, and the methods for forcing an unlock posted on XDA either did not work, or had broken links. After a while you tend to give up.

wanttono

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site

control over our cell or stop others from having control of our cell ..

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Samsung's rise was more because of their marketing spend than anything else. Modders were and are likely an insignificant percentage of users, even back in those "glory days".

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance