The iPhone SE 2020 basically just killed the Pixel 4a and other value flagships...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
You mean Apple is putting out a phone with a Snapdragon 865 for less than $600. That's amazing. Does that price tag include the Apple tax?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I really like the idea of including the latest chip on a cheap device, performance and updates will be pretty good. But that's it I think. What I see is a phone with a tiny screen, huuuuge bezels and a screen-to-body ratio of ~65%, all numbers basically the same than my old Moto G that I bought in 2013.

Many people love smaller phones, but in this case the biggest corner being cut is a tiny (by today's standards) display in a not so small frame.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
It will sell well. Many people have been waiting for this from Apple. A smaller device with top processor and Apple ecosystem. All starting at $399.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
So the match-up to keep an eye on is the Pixel 4a vs iPhone 9. At that price range, I know people aren't expecting flagship performance, but with these two models, that's basically what they're getting. There are some luxuries that they give up, like screen real estate or high refresh rate, but at the end of the day, both are powered by Google and Apple directly, which goes a long way. I'm interested how they stack up in the following categories, which would be the bare minimum (in my opinion) for making a phone at that cost a great purchase, versus buying the phone strictly dictated by cost and budget.

1) camera. Who shoots better stills in poor lighting. Who shoots better selfies? Who shoots with less shutter lag? I'm leaving video out because that's just not something fair you can expect from that price range, especially when you take into consideration their screens and camera limitations.

2) battery life. Who gets more, and how much more?

I feel like that's it...if it can shoot good pictures and last all day, it's a winner, because with everything else, you're pretty much getting a stock experience, no skins, no booatware, just a pure experience.

I'm excited to see where this battle takes the industry.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt specs/performance has anything to do with it.

Last year, people were still buying iPhone 6/6S because they where discounted.

All about status.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt specs/performance has anything to do with it.

Last year, people were still buying iPhone 6/6S because they where discounted.

All about status.

Status with a cheap phone?

(US-centric here but) I still can't believe there are people that are on the "Apple as a status symbol" train - especially when they basically cost the same as their Samsung counterparts.

Using a 6S in 2019 (basically up until the iOS 13 launch) was fine. It was a good, cheap, and up to date phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So the match-up to keep an eye on is the Pixel 4a vs iPhone 9. At that price range, I know people aren't expecting flagship performance, but with these two models, that's basically what they're getting. There are some luxuries that they give up, like screen real estate or high refresh rate, but at the end of the day, both are powered by Google and Apple directly, which goes a long way. I'm interested how they stack up in the following categories, which would be the bare minimum (in my opinion) for making a phone at that cost a great purchase, versus buying the phone strictly dictated by cost and budget.

1) camera. Who shoots better stills in poor lighting. Who shoots better selfies? Who shoots with less shutter lag? I'm leaving video out because that's just not something fair you can expect from that price range, especially when you take into consideration their screens and camera limitations.

2) battery life. Who gets more, and how much more?

I feel like that's it...if it can shoot good pictures and last all day, it's a winner, because with everything else, you're pretty much getting a stock experience, no skins, no booatware, just a pure experience.

I'm excited to see where this battle takes the industry.

Camera will be the biggest comparison, IMO.

Almost everything else is in favor of the iPhone SE.

Current "flagship" level SoC - Pixel 4a won't be on Qualcomm's highest-end but the A13 Bionic is a flagship-level processor

Length of OS updates - surprise me here with your own stuff, Google. Pixel 4A will probably get 3, maybe 4 years of updates. It wouldn't surprise me to see Apple support this SE through 2025/2026.

Length of Security updates - see OS updates.

Serviceability - something happens? It's much easier to get your iPhone fixed or replaced than any other device.

Battery - maybe Pixel 4a outright wins here but as long as the SE can go a day or day and half, it'll be fine. And, back to serviceability, if something goes wrong with the battery on the iPhone, it'll probably be easier to get that replace.

Leaving out the subjective stuff like hardware and OS design, of course.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Just to be seen with an iPhone regardless.

That's my point, I remember the Samsung Galaxy S9 was also discounted. "Ewww, I don't want an android." Heard it so many times from teens.

I have no numbers to prove anything just going by what my nephews, nieces, cousins were all asking for and what I was over hearing at places like Wal-Mart, carrier stores, etc.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I really like the idea of including the latest chip on a cheap device, performance and updates will be pretty good. But that's it I think. What I see is a phone with a tiny screen, huuuuge bezels and a screen-to-body ratio of ~65%, all numbers basically the same than my old Moto G that I bought in 2013.

Many people love smaller phones, but in this case the biggest corner being cut is a tiny (by today's standards) display in a not so small frame.

As much as phone reviewers would like us to believe, it seems like the masses don't care that much about huge bezels with bad screen-to-body ratios. In terms of body, this second generation iPhone SE isn't much smaller than the iPhone 11 Pro. I was really hoping that this new iPhone SE would have used the same body as the iPhone 5/5S.

I think what Apple is saying by using the iPhone 7/8 body is that there's a demand not for "small" phones but for the return of Touch ID. And at the $399 price-point, it makes financial sense to re-use parts.

One of Apple's innovations is their scale.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
As much as phone reviewers would like us to believe, it seems like the masses don't care that much about huge bezels with bad screen-to-body ratios. In terms of body, this second generation iPhone SE isn't much smaller than the iPhone 11 Pro. I was really hoping that this new iPhone SE would have used the same body as the iPhone 5/5S.

I think what Apple is saying by using the iPhone 7/8 body is that there's a demand not for "small" phones but for the return of Touch ID. And at the $399 price-point, it makes financial sense to re-use parts.

One of Apple's innovations is their scale.
Not sure about the masses not caring about the screen-to-body ratio, do you have any information to prove that? The global tendency is big screens for the simple reason that watching videos, playing games, typing a lot and whatnot is more enjoyable. Smaller bezels just means bigger screens in the same external dimensions. And then the personal aesthetic reasons, but that's a different thing.

I agree that commercially is going to be a success. Using existing body and chip cuts the costs so the phone can be cheaper. I don't think Apple are trying to say anything, they are just trying to make money, and they will.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about the masses not caring about the screen-to-body ratio, do you have any information to prove that? The global tendency is big screens for the simple reason that watching videos, playing games, typing a lot and whatnot is more enjoyable. Smaller bezels just means bigger screens in the same external dimensions. And then the personal aesthetic reasons, but that's a different thing.

I agree that commercially is going to be a success. Using existing body and chip cuts the costs so the phone can be cheaper. I don't think Apple are trying to say anything, they are just trying to make money, and they will.

I don't, which is why I said it "seems" - as in, body-to-screen ratio isn't a relevant factor in most buying decisions. Do you have any information to prove that they do care? I'd point to iPhone sales numbers but Apple doesn't break that down anymore.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't, which is why I said it "seems" - as in, body-to-screen ratio isn't a relevant factor in most buying decisions. Do you have any information to prove that they do care? I'd point to iPhone sales numbers but Apple doesn't break that down anymore.
I said that the global tendency is bigger screens, which is a fact. I am just questioning why you think masses don't care about huge bezels.