What do you think about Allo?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I won't use it since it's tied to phone numbers. I prefer using Hangouts, since I don't have to give anyone and their mother my phone number.

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't everyone and their mother get your email address in Hangouts?

Edit: To answer OP's question. I can't wait for it. And Duo... I couldn't care less how many they have as long as they have one I like.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I think Google should have focused on improving the stability of Hangouts rather than create entirely new apps. I use Textra for SMS and Facebook Messenger for all IM things (minus one Hangouts conversation), and I don't think either new app would change that.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I never use video calling, so I won't bother with Duo. I don't even like voice calls, and certainly don't want to use video calling.

CoolBeit

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm always the guy that harps on this, but I'm fine with allo as long as it accommodates Google voice users. I really hate how Google actively avoids talking about Google voice. Just tell us if it's supported or not.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Is this supposed to be the new RCS messaging app w/Jibe?

Hangouts was rumored to lose SMS soon.

Still, way too many messaging apps.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
I won't use it since it's tied to phone numbers. I prefer using Hangouts, since I don't have to give anyone and their mother my phone number.

Doesn't everyone and their mother get your email address in Hangouts?

Edit: To answer OP's question. I can't wait for it. And Duo... I couldn't care less how many they have as long as they have one I like.

@Akuma, the difference is that a contact that has your email address can be easily blocked or ignored. A contact that has your phone number can call your phone whenever they like, even if you blocked them in the messenger app. I have a few thousand contacts, and maybe 5% of them have my personal phone number. Email is easy to block or ignore. Phone calls are not so easy.

@laura, That was my first though too. But then they did say that your google account can be optionally added, but initially setup has to be by phone number. They didn't elaborate more on that though. So with any luck, phone numbers don't necessarily have to be exchanged. One can hope anyway. :fingers crossed:

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
@Akuma, the difference is that a contact that has your email address can be easily blocked or ignored. A contact that has your phone number can call your phone whenever they like, even if you blocked them in the messenger app. I have a few thousand contacts, and maybe 5% of them have my personal phone number. Email is easy to block or ignore. Phone calls are not so easy.

How did we ever survive the days of phone books with everyone running amuck with everyone else's phone numbers? Honestly, you could have 20,000 contacts and none of them would call you. Do you ever call any of the 5,000 contacts that you have and don't know personally?
Laura stated that she doesn't like a anything about these apps... this is just complaining to complain.

P.S. your wording is self serving on the point of people can still call you if you block them in the messenger app... you don't know this, you've never used this app. You're referring to a different messenger app... Lastly, why would you block someone from calling your phone in a messaging app? Open your phone dialer and do it there where you should be doing it... Blocking phone numbers is SO easy if you do it right. Would you block text messages from someone in your phone dialer? No! So why try to block a call from a messaging app and complain that it's difficult?

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Also, basing it off of your phone number allows it to be cross platform... Funny that this is not even mentioned.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site
How did we ever survive the days of phone books with everyone running amuck with everyone else's phone numbers? Honestly, you could have 20,000 contacts and none of them would call you. Do you ever call any of the 5,000 contacts that you have and don't know personally?
Laura stated that she doesn't like a anything about these apps... this is just complaining to complain.
In the days of phone books, you could also have your number unlisted. And too, that was from a generation where people tended to respect a telephone etiquette (something sorely lacking these days). Today, people don't list their personal cell numbers in phone books.

There are numerous reasons not to give out a phone number. Family members and friends may warrant having my personal number, but only a portion of well established business contacts merit the privilege. Then there's contacts generated through social media, people I barely know outside of FB or G+ rarely if ever merit having my personal phone number. In a digital era where privacy concerns are emphasized more and more every day, leaking a personal phone number is a major breach of privacy.

And a phone number is not needed to allow for cross platform communications. An email address, a username, or even a pin number, will suit just fine.

And not only did Laura not state that she "doesn't like anything" about these apps, nor is she one to complain just for the sake of complaining.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Another difference is back in the day there were no robocalls from spammy, scammy telemarketers and political organizations. Blocking spam emails from those is much easier than blocking phone calls.

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
@laura, That was my first though too. But then they did say that your google account can be optionally added, but initially setup has to be by phone number. They didn't elaborate more on that though. So with any luck, phone numbers don't necessarily have to be exchanged. One can hope anyway. :fingers crossed:

For those of us who still have a Google phone number, why not use that in lieu of your personal. If you don't have a Google #, Google search and see if they still issue them. I've had mine since the early Droid days. I use it for Text and voice at times.

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I am looking forward to atleast giving it a try. I am assuming that if it is phone number based it will allow sms to people who don't have the app. Hopefully anyway

16BitBeard

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm down with this, especially being able to share results from the bot/AI in the same window. Since Hangouts never really exploded in popularity I'm glad they are trying something new, even though I do like Hangouts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae