Will Allo support SMS?

oldtimefighter

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Sms??

SMS (and MMS) weren't built for how we use messaging today. I'm all for Allo not including SMS support.

I suspect two or three of my contacts may use Allo. 100% of my contacts can receive SMS messages. It's not hard to figure out the problem with IM services.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site

SMS (and MMS) weren't built for how we use messaging today. I'm all for Allo not including SMS support.

I dont understand how people can continue to say this stupid ****. Everyone can receive sms no matter what phone they have.

You know why imessage is so Good? It does both and does the well.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I dont understand how people can continue to say this stupid ****. Everyone can receive sms no matter what phone they have.

You know why imessage is so Good? It does both and does the well.

iMesage is good because it's seamless. The brokenness of SMS/MMS only matters when you're not actually using iMessage.

When people want SMS/MMS in Allo, what do you really want? Do you want Google to take over like iMessage, using SMS or MMS as a fallback or if not on Allo? Or something separate in the same all like Facebook Messenger? Hangouts just dropped SMS support, right?

Currently Google Allo is a WhatsApp competitor. That lets it be on Android and iOS.

If you want an SMS/MMS app, Google Messenger, Textra, chomp, etc. are all available.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

iMesage is good because it's seamless. The brokenness of SMS/MMS only matters when you're not actually using iMessage.

When people want SMS/MMS in Allo, what do you really want? Do you want Google to take over like iMessage, using SMS or MMS as a fallback or if not on Allo? Or something separate in the same all like Facebook Messenger? Hangouts just dropped SMS support, right?

Currently Google Allo is a WhatsApp competitor. That lets it be on Android and iOS.

If you want an SMS/MMS app, Google Messenger, Textra, chomp, etc. are all available.
Yes, actually. I would very much like to see Allo become the Android equivalent of iMessage. Hangouts tried and would have been great but failed miserably in its execution. Allo, from what we have seen, looks like a MUCH better attempt at a messaging app but without any type of SMS support its just another app that maybe a few friends are going to use. There's virtually no incentive to completely convert to Allo from another already established service. My main group of friends use hangouts now, and likely will not convert because the desktop hangouts app is crucial for some. Where, if this were an SMS app too, I'll bet most of them would convert to Allo to get the added bonus of a new SMS app as well while keeping hangouts. With as much potential as I see Allo having, I don't see the adoption rate being all that high.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, actually. I would very much like to see Allo become the Android equivalent of iMessage. Hangouts tried and would have been great but failed miserably in its execution. Allo, from what we have seen, looks like a MUCH better attempt at a messaging app but without any type of SMS support its just another app that maybe a few friends are going to use. There's virtually no incentive to completely convert to Allo from another already established service. My main group of friends use hangouts now, and likely will not convert because the desktop hangouts app is crucial for some. Where, if this were an SMS app too, I'll bet most of them would convert to Allo to get the added bonus of a new SMS app as well while keeping hangouts. With as much potential as I see Allo having, I don't see the adoption rate being all that high.

If Allo was Android-only, I could see this feature on the roadmap.

Unfortunately(?), it's also going to be available for iOS and Allo can't take over SMS/MMS on that platform.

Last edited:

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Is Allo was Android-only, I could see this feature on the roadmap.

Unfortunately(?), it's also going to be available for iOS and Allo can't take over SMS/MMS on that platform.
Hangout is available on both platforms, and until Google removed it was capable of handling sms on android. It's possible to have both slices of cake here, just unfortunate that it looks like this won't be the case.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Is Allo was Android-only, I could see this feature on the roadmap.

I think i'm not understanding your argument... can u explain why u think it would have to be android exclusive to handle sms/mms? FB and Hangouts both used to do sms/mms/IM and is available on both android and iphone and computers... so why can't allo?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think i'm not understanding your argument... can u explain why u think it would have to be android exclusive to handle sms/mms? FB and Hangouts both used to do sms/mms/IM and is available on both android and iphone and computers... so why can't allo?

Sorry.

Is should have been If.

Allo is a cross-platform WhatsApp competitor.

I'm ok with SMS/MMS support being out.

All the messaging tricks wouldn't go over SMS/MMS anyway.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Sorry.

Is should have been If.

Allo is a cross-platform WhatsApp competitor.

I'm ok with SMS/MMS support being out.

All the messaging tricks wouldn't go over SMS/MMS anyway.

I understand what a lot of ppl are fussing about... if it doesn't have sms/mms for when the other person you are "messaging" doesn't have allo then the app is useless... Ppl want this to be basically an iMessage type of messenger for android but I think google is wanting it to be a whatsapp like you have stated... the problem is most ppl in the USA don't use whatsapp...it seems to be HUGE overseas but here in the USA not so much... Let's be honest fb messenger wouldn't be so popular if it wasn't mandatory to have to chat via facebook. The problem i'm seeing both allo and duo having is android users wants android versions of iMessage and FaceTime but google aren't trying to make those for android

RPlanteJr

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site

I understand what a lot of ppl are fussing about... if it doesn't have sms/mms for when the other person you are "messaging" doesn't have allo then the app is useless... Ppl want this to be basically an iMessage type of messenger for android but I think google is wanting it to be a whatsapp like you have stated... the problem is most ppl in the USA don't use whatsapp...it seems to be HUGE overseas but here in the USA not so much... Let's be honest fb messenger wouldn't be so popular if it wasn't mandatory to have to chat via facebook. The problem i'm seeing both allo and duo having is android users wants android versions of iMessage and FaceTime but google aren't trying to make those for android

I totally agree. I was a long time Iphone guy and recently switched to the "explosively" popular Galaxy s7. I figured since my life revolves around google (gmail, photos, chrome, etc.) that i should just switch to an android. I live in the states and i maybe know 2 people that uses Whats App. The US phone user grew up on the notion that 1 messaging app should encompass all facets of messaging. Maybe because iPhone dominated the smart phone market early on iMessage became the staple that all phones messaging aps would be judged upon. I think Im shocked that Android has yet come out with replica for it. Screw it. we don't care that it will seem like a carbon copy. I want a messaging app that I can send a text message and it will be delivered to anybody no matter what their platform is. iMessage exceeds in this. Video calling is another gripe I have with Google but that fight is for another day.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I totally agree. I was a long time Iphone guy and recently switched to the "explosively" popular Galaxy s7. I figured since my life revolves around google (gmail, photos, chrome, etc.) that i should just switch to an android. I live in the states and i maybe know 2 people that uses Whats App. The US phone user grew up on the notion that 1 messaging app should encompass all facets of messaging. Maybe because iPhone dominated the smart phone market early on iMessage became the staple that all phones messaging aps would be judged upon. I think Im shocked that Android has yet come out with replica for it. Screw it. we don't care that it will seem like a carbon copy. I want a messaging app that I can send a text message and it will be delivered to anybody no matter what their platform is. iMessage exceeds in this. Video calling is another gripe I have with Google but that fight is for another day.

Google can't do it and remain true to being about choices... only reason things like iMessage is so well received is bc if they had an iphone it was mandatory at least at first for them to use it (Idk if it's still mandatory or not). It was it's stock sms/mms app... I don't think most people realize iMessage is a messaging app, the actual iMessage part of it is anyway...Apple created basically a "whatsapp" type messenger and integrated it into it's stock sms/mms app... for some reason a lot of ppl don't understand that. Android as a whole can't successfully do that bc even if google force a messaging app on every android phone there will still be people who uses other sms/mms apps. Only way there could ever be a successful android iMessage counterpart is if google force the app and remove all other options...which they aren't gonna do

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Google can't do it and remain true to being about choices... only reason things like iMessage is so well received is bc if they had an iphone it was mandatory at least at first for them to use it (Idk if it's still mandatory or not). It was it's stock sms/mms app... I don't think most people realize iMessage is a messaging app, the actual iMessage part of it is anyway...Apple created basically a "whatsapp" type messenger and integrated it into it's stock sms/mms app... for some reason a lot of ppl don't understand that. Android as a whole can't successfully do that bc even if google force a messaging app on every android phone there will still be people who uses other sms/mms apps. Only way there could ever be a successful android iMessage counterpart is if google force the app and remove all other options...which they aren't gonna do

People don't understand iMessage is basically SMS/MMS with WhatsApp for Apple-only messaging because 1. They did such a good job, 2. It's pretty much forced.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

People don't understand iMessage is basically SMS/MMS with WhatsApp for Apple-only messaging because 1. They did such a good job, 2. It's pretty much forced.

I thought I basically said that :confused:

but it was gonna be big regardless, simply bc if u use an iphone u had to use imessage... If u use android, u don't have to use any particular messaging app

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I thought I basically said that :confused:

but it was gonna be big regardless, simply bc if u use an iphone u had to use imessage... If u use android, u don't have to use any particular messaging app

Just echo'ing your point. :)

It's clear that a lot of people complaining basically want Google's messaging solutions to clone iMessage instead of just WhatsApp.

RPlanteJr

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site

Just echo'ing your point. :)

It's clear that a lot of people complaining basically want Google's messaging solutions to clone iMessage instead of just WhatsApp.

I can't speak for the rest of the World, but in the US I think most of us want something wrapped up together in a nice little bow. Why have multiple messaging apps for different types of messages? Apple eliminates this with iMessage. It's just one app that communicates to everyone on every platform. You can call it hijacking SMS but in reality its the perfect app. I didn't realize that the rest of the world actually had to pay for SMS, which would suck. Since it is not an issue here I'd like a one stop shop to text everyone. If you could add say a video app like, i dont know, Face Time to it then that would be even better. If I was asking for something that didn't already exist, it would seem like I was talking about something in the unforeseen future. Its been done. Copy it. Add your little Google symbol to it. Everyone would love it. Done and done

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I can't speak for the rest of the World, but in the US I think most of us want something wrapped up together in a nice little bow. Why have multiple messaging apps for different types of messages? Apple eliminates this with iMessage. It's just one app that communicates to everyone on every platform. You can call it hijacking SMS but in reality its the perfect app. I didn't realize that the rest of the world actually had to pay for SMS, which would suck. Since it is not an issue here I'd like a one stop shop to text everyone. If you could add say a video app like, i dont know, Face Time to it then that would be even better. If I was asking for something that didn't already exist, it would seem like I was talking about something in the unforeseen future. Its been done. Copy it. Add your little Google symbol to it. Everyone would love it. Done and done

iMessage is the perfect app if you're in the Apple ecosystem.

It doesn't fix SMS and MMS outside of non-Apple conversations though.

RPlanteJr

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site

iMessage is the perfect app if you're in the Apple ecosystem.

It doesn't fix SMS and MMS outside of non-Apple conversations though.

If I send you a message with an iPhone and you have an Android, you'll get the message no matter what you are using. It obviously will show up as a SMS text instead of an iMessage but youll still receive it. Google can do the same in that regards can't they?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae