Will Allo support SMS?

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Will Allo allow sms to be sent or is going to be like WhatsApp and only let us send messages to people who also have the app?

Posted via the Android Central App

Kjthomas0724

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: Sms??

I really hope it doesn't end up being like WhatsApp. If it doesn't allow me to send sms to people who don't have the app, I won't be using it.

atlawson

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site

If it doesn't do SMS then how can it contact anyone in your phonebook. That condradicts what it states on the official google blog about allo. If they said other allo users or that the contact would need to have app installed as well then fine, but that was never mentioned so SMS would be the only option then.

burrs87

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

If it doesn't do SMS, which would be silly, then I don't think I will be using it.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site

If it doesn't do SMS, which would be silly, then I don't think I will be using it.

Exactly this. Won't be any reason to. No way can you convince people to switch apps like that.

Vyrlokar

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site

I sure hope not. Those of us who live in countries where unlimited sms are not the norm sure know more than a few people who ended with long bills due to inadvertently sending sms like they were whatsapp messages. It should always ALWAYS be clear if the message is going through SMS or through the data plan.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Exactly this. Won't be any reason to. No way can you convince people to switch apps like that.

Billions are using services like WhatsApp - which don't do SMS.

Queen Kong1

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site

Facebook Messenger does now, so i dont see why not, if not it will be a flopsy........Why they taking so long???? I use Textra now and it's cool so has to be better.

oldtimefighter

May 3, 2016
Visit site

Billions are using services like WhatsApp - which don't do SMS.

The places where WhatsApp is generally popular people don't have unlimited texting... In the US, we have unlimited texting so that is the dominant means for messaging so it would make sense for any IM program to support SMS.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The places where WhatsApp is generally popular people don't have unlimited texting... In the US, we have unlimited texting so that is the dominant means for messaging so it would make sense for any IM program to support SMS.

SMS (and MMS) weren't built for how we use messaging today. I'm all for Allo not including SMS support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar