09-21-2016 05:30 PM
43 12
tools
    Will Allo allow sms to be sent or is going to be like WhatsApp and only let us send messages to people who also have the app?

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-21-2016 07:20 PM
    I was wondering this myself . I haven't been able to find an answer yet

05-23-2016 06:07 AM
    I really hope it doesn't end up being like WhatsApp. If it doesn't allow me to send sms to people who don't have the app, I won't be using it.

Premium1 likes this.
    05-23-2016 07:45 AM
    Same here. No SMS and I won't use it.
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-24-2016 07:46 PM
    Considering hangouts does and, I'm guessing it will.

05-29-2016 05:48 PM
    According to this, we will be able send messages to everyone in our address book. Not just other Allo users.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1378...uld-you-use-it

06-11-2016 12:19 PM
    No SMS: temper your expectations, folks.

XDA-Developers: [Exclusive] New Information About Google’s Allo Has Emerged. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwhcvLxiw

Ry likes this.
    07-24-2016 04:59 PM
    No SMS: temper your expectations, folks.

XDA-Developers: [Exclusive] New Information About Google’s Allo Has Emerged. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwhcvLxiw

That really sucks!

07-26-2016 05:59 PM
    If it doesn't do SMS then how can it contact anyone in your phonebook. That condradicts what it states on the official google blog about allo. If they said other allo users or that the contact would need to have app installed as well then fine, but that was never mentioned so SMS would be the only option then.
    TruPlaya187 likes this.
    07-27-2016 04:46 PM
    If it doesn't do SMS, which would be silly, then I don't think I will be using it.

07-27-2016 11:01 PM
    If it doesn't do SMS, which would be silly, then I don't think I will be using it.

exactly!
    calicocat2010 likes this.
    07-31-2016 10:00 PM
    Won't be using then

Posted via Pokémon/Note7 Central App
    08-08-2016 05:16 PM
    The real question is... Will it with with Fi messaging.

08-13-2016 06:56 PM
    The real question is... Will it with with Fi messaging.

Why would it be different with Fi?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    08-13-2016 10:40 PM

Exactly this. Won't be any reason to. No way can you convince people to switch apps like that.

08-16-2016 01:34 AM
    I sure hope not. Those of us who live in countries where unlimited sms are not the norm sure know more than a few people who ended with long bills due to inadvertently sending sms like they were whatsapp messages. It should always ALWAYS be clear if the message is going through SMS or through the data plan.
    08-31-2016 02:56 PM
    Exactly this. Won't be any reason to. No way can you convince people to switch apps like that.

Billions are using services like WhatsApp - which don't do SMS.
    08-31-2016 02:59 PM
    Facebook Messenger does now, so i dont see why not, if not it will be a flopsy........Why they taking so long???? I use Textra now and it's cool so has to be better.
    09-03-2016 04:23 AM
    Billions are using services like WhatsApp - which don't do SMS.
    The places where WhatsApp is generally popular people don't have unlimited texting... In the US, we have unlimited texting so that is the dominant means for messaging so it would make sense for any IM program to support SMS.
    09-07-2016 02:15 PM
    The places where WhatsApp is generally popular people don't have unlimited texting... In the US, we have unlimited texting so that is the dominant means for messaging so it would make sense for any IM program to support SMS.
    SMS (and MMS) weren't built for how we use messaging today. I'm all for Allo not including SMS support.
    09-07-2016 06:20 PM
    SMS (and MMS) weren't built for how we use messaging today. I'm all for Allo not including SMS support.
    I suspect two or three of my contacts may use Allo. 100% of my contacts can receive SMS messages. It's not hard to figure out the problem with IM services.
    09-07-2016 09:25 PM
    I dont understand how people can continue to say this stupid ****. Everyone can receive sms no matter what phone they have.

You know why imessage is so Good? It does both and does the well.
    09-08-2016 10:16 PM
    I dont understand how people can continue to say this stupid ****. Everyone can receive sms no matter what phone they have.

You know why imessage is so Good? It does both and does the well.
    iMesage is good because it's seamless. The brokenness of SMS/MMS only matters when you're not actually using iMessage.

When people want SMS/MMS in Allo, what do you really want? Do you want Google to take over like iMessage, using SMS or MMS as a fallback or if not on Allo? Or something separate in the same all like Facebook Messenger? Hangouts just dropped SMS support, right?

Currently Google Allo is a WhatsApp competitor. That lets it be on Android and iOS.

If you want an SMS/MMS app, Google Messenger, Textra, chomp, etc. are all available.
    09-09-2016 12:11 AM
    iMesage is good because it's seamless. The brokenness of SMS/MMS only matters when you're not actually using iMessage.

When people want SMS/MMS in Allo, what do you really want? Do you want Google to take over like iMessage, using SMS or MMS as a fallback or if not on Allo? Or something separate in the same all like Facebook Messenger? Hangouts just dropped SMS support, right?

Currently Google Allo is a WhatsApp competitor. That lets it be on Android and iOS.

If you want an SMS/MMS app, Google Messenger, Textra, chomp, etc. are all available.
    Yes, actually. I would very much like to see Allo become the Android equivalent of iMessage. Hangouts tried and would have been great but failed miserably in its execution. Allo, from what we have seen, looks like a MUCH better attempt at a messaging app but without any type of SMS support its just another app that maybe a few friends are going to use. There's virtually no incentive to completely convert to Allo from another already established service. My main group of friends use hangouts now, and likely will not convert because the desktop hangouts app is crucial for some. Where, if this were an SMS app too, I'll bet most of them would convert to Allo to get the added bonus of a new SMS app as well while keeping hangouts. With as much potential as I see Allo having, I don't see the adoption rate being all that high.
    09-09-2016 02:08 PM
    Agree completely!!!
    09-09-2016 03:36 PM
43 12