Allo is live now, SMS is supported but a little weird

thebourbonnflip

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't available yet for me but tried out the apk. Seems promising but since SMS/MMS through Allo sends to non-Allo persons using shortcode (recipient without Allo receives a text of what you send plus text saying who it's from w/phone number stating the sender is using Allo and gives link to download Allo. From shortcode number something like '44034') , I don't think I can move to this yet. I tend to backup my text and it seems there is no way to currently restore/backup text to/from Allo so I can view previous conversations, which that right there may be what may hold me back. Hoping in the near future update that Google can somehow integrate using my own phone number for SMS/MMS to non-Allo persons so that they would not receive text from these shortcode numbers. Other than that, overall seems promising nonetheless.

flipbeats

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I currently really like it and i prob will have this take over my google messenger app. I'm just reading some articles and for some reason People don't like it and idk why. I personally like how I can text anybody now with cool stickers and voice and all that. I'm taking about people outside the country as well.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people seem to have been expecting hangouts + assistant, which simply isn't what this is for. For what it is, I feel like it does pretty well but it's definitely meant to be one app that does everything for everyone.

gburns

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The off the wall SMS integration is not going to help this at all. So disappointed that to adopt such a cool message app that is like imessage is going to be so frustrating. Why do they keep missing on the on the points that make or break apps becoming common place?!?!?!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well one thing is that you can't just take somebody else's app and Port it over to your OS because there are patents and things like that involved. Another is that the very last APK that I got to play with before live had SMS implemented in a very different way then what we're seeing in the preview right now. So I think there are different ways that they can try to do things and for launch they're doing it this way, partly I believe, because they want to get those text messages out there to people that have not yet installed the app so that they will know that the apps out there and potentially download it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Another thing is that last week they began another accessibility beta and two of the testers in that group are using iPads. So that opens up the door for Multi-Device support, and one of the first builds that went around was downloadable on tablets however you had to use a phone number from a different device in order to do the SMS verification. So as with SMS I think there are different ways that they can do these things and that some things didn't make it into the 1.0 but we probably will be seeing some modifications to it in the near future. Another obvious modification will be getting integration with the actual Google Assistant rather than being tied to the preview version that's currently in it.

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I love the app so far but without having the ability to make it my default messaging app kind of stinks. I know they can't rip off iMessage but I want one unified SMS/Messaging app. If they can add SMS like they did to Hangouts I'm in. It's such a pain to get my family and friends on board with a new chat app from google every couple of years.

vtpmt81

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I currently really like it and i prob will have this take over my google messenger app. I'm just reading some articles and for some reason People don't like it and idk why. I personally like how I can text anybody now with cool stickers and voice and all that. I'm taking about people outside the country as well.

IMHO, this app shouldn't have been released in its current state. This reminds of when BlackBerry released the half baked PlayBook and Z10.

You can't save conversations in case you switch phones. Sucks if you are waiting for a Note 7 replacement or plan on upgrading soon or switching carriers.
It doesn't have true SMS backup or support which is why you can't make Allo your default messaging app. This means you have to use either Messenger/Hangouts or a third party app for true SMS conversations with iPhone users that haven't installed Allo.
You can't quick reply on the notification drop down menu or lock screen on Allo which is an Android 7.0 feature.
No desktop or web client - I am actually ok with this if they are still working on it and need another 6-12 months to get it ready.

Ron Copsetta

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I love the app so far but without having the ability to make it my default messaging app kind of stinks. I know they can't rip off iMessage but I want one unified SMS/Messaging app. If they can add SMS like they did to Hangouts I'm in. It's such a pain to get my family and friends on board with a new chat app from google every couple of years.

Same issue here, I would love it if it could be my default. And it is tough getting family and friends to switch

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38