This was news from about a week ago but there is news that in a few more weeks, there will be a desktop version of Allo. Was wondering who will be using it. I'm hoping ( if they want to be successful ) they will replace hangouts with Allo with Gmail's/Inbox hangouts app. I'd also like if they would stop with the spammy sms for non android users or older OS for android but.. That's prob not going to happen...

I don't use this app with a lot of people because I know the spamminess of it annoys a lot of people. With those I know who get it on android with the preview version, it's okay. I love the app itself though it's not exactly end to end encrypted from the start. I don't know how a web version of it would help but I guess we will all see.

Google says the Allo desktop client is coming in a "few more weeks"
    07-15-2017 07:32 AM
    A desktop client would make Allo a lot more attractive to me, although there still wouldn't be big reason for me to abandon Hangouts, since that still works fine. If Google finally axes Hangouts (which I hope they never do), then I guess it would make the transition to Allo less painful.
    tube517 likes this.
    07-17-2017 01:01 PM
    A desktop client would make Allo a lot more attractive to me, although there still wouldn't be big reason for me to abandon Hangouts, since that still works fine. If Google finally axes Hangouts (which I hope they never do), then I guess it would make the transition to Allo less painful.
    Hangouts is going to be geared toward businesses and Allo will be the primary IM app for individuals. Personally, I like Hangouts but I use Allo with my wife only since nobody else (that I know) uses it lol

https://www.blog.google/products/g-s...used-hangouts/

With RCS text messaging already here, I don't know how long Allo will last.

As far as the desktop app, I probably won't use it. I have a cell phone and tablet so really not needed unless I left both at home and have only the PC at work.
    07-17-2017 01:10 PM
    Hangouts is going to be geared toward businesses and Allo will be the primary IM app for individuals.
    Yeah, I've heard that as well -- but I think Allo still limits you to using it on one device only, right? I like how Hangouts can be used on any device that's logged into your Google account.
    phonejunky likes this.
    07-17-2017 01:29 PM
    Yeah, I've heard that as well -- but I think Allo still limits you to using it on one device only, right? I like how Hangouts can be used on any device that's logged into your Google account.
    I'm not sure about Allo. I know it's tied to your phone number.

And I do like Hangouts because I have it on my phone and tablet. Also we (previous job) have used it for video conference calls.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-17-2017 01:36 PM
    I'll be all over this once it's finally released. I use Allo everyday with my wife. I'm also on my computer at work 90% of the time and this will be much more convenient. I use Pushbullet, but for some reason when an Allo message comes through it will only show a small portion of the message. If it's just a few lines, everything works fine, but if it's a long message I have to grab the phone and open the app. A minor inconvenience I know, but still.
    08-02-2017 09:28 AM
    I do like Allo and people talk about rcs.. but I think it'll be a long time till rcs becomes a thing if ever in the US... I just want something encrypted.. and Android messenger isn't that.. I just want Allo to feel legit as well.
    12-20-2017 05:51 AM