Chromebook Pixel - what it should have?!!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Here is what i think Chromebook pixel should have.

SSD - 128 gb or 256 gb
Price - 128 gb at $1100 $256 gb at $1300

Apps - Chrome OS is Linux at its core. Google can easily enable it to run Linux applications.
Making it run linux application will be a huge bonus for Chromebook's in general.

give the ability to dual boot Linux OS or windows.

Instant buy for me. So what do you think chromebook pixel should have?

diabloking

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Here is what i think Chromebook pixel should have.

SSD - 128 gb or 256 gb
Price - 128 gb at $1100 $256 gb at $1300

Apps - Chrome OS is Linux at its core. Google can easily enable it to run Linux applications.
Making it run linux application will be a huge bonus for Chromebook's in general.

give the ability to dual boot Linux OS or windows.

Instant buy for me. So what do you think chromebook pixel should have?

If I recall correctly the pixel can dual boot with linux distro's.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hardware-wise, there's nothing wrong with the Chromebook Pixel.

For me, fixing the Pixel's shortcomings mean fixing ChromeOS. To me, that means integrating ChromeOS into Android.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
For me, fixing the Pixel's shortcomings mean fixing ChromeOS. To me, that means integrating ChromeOS into Android.

Yup. I think this is the hardware platform where the integration begins at some point in the not too distant future. An Android "Chrome" tablet/laptop hybrid. Not unlike the MSFT Surface products. My guess, and I posted this elsewhere already, is the Pixel is meant to show Google is ready to make their own products - hardware and software, and compete directly with the MSFT Surface and eventually with Apple, who is already merging iOS stuff into their desktop OS.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yup. I think this is the hardware platform where the integration begins at some point in the not too distant future. An Android "Chrome" tablet/laptop hybrid. Not unlike the MSFT Surface products. My guess, and I posted this elsewhere already, is the Pixel is meant to show Google is ready to make their own products - hardware and software, and compete directly with the MSFT Surface and eventually with Apple, who is already merging iOS stuff into their desktop OS.

I'll keep harping on these -

Motorola Webtop

ASUS Padfone

iterate on those.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I was just reading that too. Like I said, looks bad-a$$, but pricey. But you get so much more than the Pixel at probably the same general price range. I think you got it right, this is where Google needs to focus with their future endeavors. I still think that is the main point of the Pixel. They are setting the tone with the hardware, and will gradually converge all the pieces.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I was just reading that too. Like I said, looks bad-a$$, but pricey. But you get so much more than the Pixel at probably the same general price range. I think you got it right, this is where Google needs to focus with their future endeavors. I still think that is the main point of the Pixel. They are setting the tone with the hardware, and will gradually converge all the pieces.

At $1300 I don't think there is anyone that would need to purchase a Chromebook Pixel over a 13" MacBook Air ($1200), Surface Pro with Type Cover ($999 + $129), or any other nice Windows 8 Ultrabook.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. My guess is Google is not expecting to sell many at all. I don't see a profit motive anywhere with the Pixel. Still, it's kinda cool to see them go all in with the whole "we are going to build the whole thing ourselves" mindset.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
USB 3.0 and Bluetooth 4.0
Yeah they lost me at USB 2.0, after you have upgraded all your thumb drives and storage drives to 3.0. going back to 2.0 is like splinters under your nails. Thats one technology that makes as big a difference in transferring your data as an SSD over a mechanical HD. Just night and day.

jmunster

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The need for a larger SSD or USB 3.0 for faster access to media is misguided. This is a Chromebook. Local storage is for cache. Welcome to the cloud!

Thijs Tuinstra

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I bought myself a Pixel from UK, its not around in the rest of Europe and there is a lot of things i love on the Pixel. But it should have more applications outside the limited Google world for sure! I use lots of Google Apps for business in the office, my point is that the Pixel just offers Google products and there is nothing new for me in it. The pixel is fast, intuitive, nice looking. But 1299USD is far far overpriced. A SSD desktop with 2 big screens on W8 with Chrome browser is very productive (not so mobile though).
There is lots of Apps in Android, yet few in Chrome OS. Example: I can not watch a simple movie from my NAS server on my Pixel, i wish there would be an App that could. Another example: I run a business and i have 3000 contacts. Only 4 use Google Talk. The rest uses Skype and other means of popular communication. I cant run Skyp on the Pixel. Wake up Google, the world is bigger than just Google, make it more accessable with more non Google software for more people.
The Pixel is limited for its Chrome OS, but then you never know what is next tomorrow, Chrome changes every day, maybe in a few months they integrate Android and Chrone OS in a new OS. Still i would say: needs more non Google products/applications!

I am not a fan of dual booth, very time consuming, swithing back to the other OS

I would comment the touchscreen is too small. i often mis the correct link by touching the wrong link and waste my time. So i would say: It needs a bigger screen.

It should also have longer battery life also

The touchscreen should be detachable and work as a real tablet. Touching this screen is nice though, prividing you dont have too thick fingers....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish