Got my Chromebook Pixel today. Let me see if I can explain to you why...

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: This is my new work computer. My employer paid for it. We are required to use a computer that is under warranty, and lucky for me, I was due for a hardware refresh today. Prior to this, I was using a 2010 MacBook Pro. I've been dying to ditch it for several months now, and had reluctantly accepted that I was probably going back to Windows for my next machine. That was of course, until Google let this baby loose on the world last week. The Pixel is quite a bit cheaper than the computer they bought for me in 2010, and it is cheaper than the Windows 8 machine I was looking at (Lenovo Helix) last month.

Enter the Pixel.

This is the perfect computer for me. My work lives on the web. We have completely bought into Google Apps at work and everyone is using Google Drive, Google Plus, Hangouts, YouTube, hell, we even used Wave when it was alive. I was lucky enough to get a CR-48 when Google was shipping them out and started to find that I could work more productively on it than using my MBP. Of course, the hardware was the limiting factor with the CR-48. It was hardly fast and smooth when it debuted, and age has not taken kindly to it. I've been following Chromebooks very closely ever since, and have tried a co-workers Samsung (the latest one dominating Amazon sales right now), but it just seemed like too much of a toy for a work computer, and the screen is awful. I guess you get what $249 gets you.

There are admittedly a couple times a week that I still may need to do something that requires OS X or Windows. In those very rare instances, I still have the MBP sitting on my desk at work (which is where it will stay now) with Chrome Remote Desktop installed, and a Windows 7 desktop PC at home with the same. This app (which comes pre-installed on the Pixel) allows me to use either of those machines anytime I want to on my Chromebook. Win-win-win.

So what are the benefits to my employer? Not only is the laptop cheaper for them to buy in the first place, but what do you think is the first thing that happens when an employee gets a new Windows or Mac computer? It has to go to the desktop support group to get imaged and have the security/encryption software installed. My Pixel was delivered to Inventory today, and the desktop support group didn't need to see it at all. I picked it up and it hadn't even been turned on yet. Just opened to have an asset tag placed on the bottom.

So here I am, typing away on what is HANDS DOWN the most gorgeous, well made, pleasure-to-use laptop I've ever had. This includes high end MacBooks as well as Dell/Lenovo/HP Windows laptops. It's not even close.

And I have a feeling this is just the beginning of a new way to think about ChromeOS. We'll see some interesting things at I/O to be sure. You think Google isn't ready for the lamenting about not being able to use Photoshop on Chrome? Remember that they bought Nik last year as well. You think they're not working on an in house photo editing suite to roll out to us? This thing has professional photography written all over it. The screen, the aspect ratio (which by the way is so freaking nice to have to consume web content), the new Google + photos app that was leaked. They're definitely going somewhere with all of this.

I for one, am happy to be along for the ride.

Would I have spent my own money on one? I'd like to think that if I were shopping for a laptop, and I could get my budget to the $1500 range, I would. I would CERTAINLY take this over any comparably priced Apple laptop, but I'm sure I'd probably end up with a sub-$800 Windows 8 machine. I was fortunate enough to not have to find out.

Let's get this forum moving! :)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I used the Pixel for around an hour this past Friday, and talked fairly extensively with Google's Chromebook retail manager for the greater Seattle area. It was a very nice experience. I see potential for some of Chrome OS's touch-friendly UX features to be integrated with the tablet UI of Android; the touch-enabled experience on the Pixel was surprisingly nice. Also, I'm glad to see someone point out and praise the screen's qualities (aspect ratio, pixel density, overall appearance) for web content. I understand the limitations pointed out by some users about viewing video content, but they should also realize that the Pixel is not intended to be used for cinema-style movie watching and other higher aspect ratio content.

He did make a point of showing me some sort of web-based (of course) integrated photo editing solution. I spent only a few seconds looking at it, so I can't recall offhand exactly what it was.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I am surprised by how much I like the touch aspect of the screen. It doesn't do much for me scrolling web pages, but there are a few games that make good use of it, and 500px recently updated (released?) their Chrome App to take full advantage of the screen (resolution AND touch) of the Pixel.

Video content looks great on the Pixel. The demo video that Google ships on it (TimeScapes) is breath-taking. My wife thought it was CGI when I showed it to her. I tried watching a couple of movies off my HTPC with the Plex/Web app. The streaming quality was very good, but with a screen resolution this high, even 1080p would be a bit soft. I tried a couple of 4K videos on YouTube as well, and while the Pixel will play them, it is not a very smooth experience. But it IS gorgeous. Can't wait to see what software updates have in store for us.

TimeScapes 4K - YouTube

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I am surprised by how much I like the touch aspect of the screen. It doesn't do much for me scrolling web pages, but there are a few games that make good use of it, and 500px recently updated (released?) their Chrome App to take full advantage of the screen (resolution AND touch) of the Pixel.

Video content looks great on the Pixel. The demo video that Google ships on it (TimeScapes) is breath-taking. My wife thought it was CGI when I showed it to her. I tried watching a couple of movies off my HTPC with the Plex/Web app. The streaming quality was very good, but with a screen resolution this high, even 1080p would be a bit soft. I tried a couple of 4K videos on YouTube as well, and while the Pixel will play them, it is not a very smooth experience. But it IS gorgeous. Can't wait to see what software updates have in store for us.

TimeScapes 4K - YouTube

I'm a timelapse photographer by hobby, and an active member of the Timescapes forum. I've talked with Tom Lowe a few times, and so it was cool to see Timescapes shipping as demo reels.

Now retailers like Best Buy just need to stop running a component video matrix to all their display TVs and start channeling HDMI content including Timescapes. :p

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
That video looks 3D even on a MBA...All I know is that I want 4K and 4K content ASAP. I could sit and watch a channel with nothing but night skies, and Lanscapes.

barskin

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
DISCLAIMER: This is my new work computer. My employer paid for it. We are required to use a computer that is under warranty, and lucky for me, I was due for a hardware refresh today. Prior to this, I was using a 2010 MacBook Pro. I've been dying to ditch it for several months now, and had reluctantly accepted that I was probably going back to Windows for my next machine. That was of course, until Google let this baby loose on the world last week. The Pixel is quite a bit cheaper than the computer they bought for me in 2010, and it is cheaper than the Windows 8 machine I was looking at (Lenovo Helix) last month.

Enter the Pixel.

This is the perfect computer for me. My work lives on the web. We have completely bought into Google Apps at work and everyone is using Google Drive, Google Plus, Hangouts, YouTube, hell, we even used Wave when it was alive. I was lucky enough to get a CR-48 when Google was shipping them out and started to find that I could work more productively on it than using my MBP. Of course, the hardware was the limiting factor with the CR-48. It was hardly fast and smooth when it debuted, and age has not taken kindly to it. I've been following Chromebooks very closely ever since, and have tried a co-workers Samsung (the latest one dominating Amazon sales right now), but it just seemed like too much of a toy for a work computer, and the screen is awful. I guess you get what $249 gets you.

There are admittedly a couple times a week that I still may need to do something that requires OS X or Windows. In those very rare instances, I still have the MBP sitting on my desk at work (which is where it will stay now) with Chrome Remote Desktop installed, and a Windows 7 desktop PC at home with the same. This app (which comes pre-installed on the Pixel) allows me to use either of those machines anytime I want to on my Chromebook. Win-win-win.

So what are the benefits to my employer? Not only is the laptop cheaper for them to buy in the first place, but what do you think is the first thing that happens when an employee gets a new Windows or Mac computer? It has to go to the desktop support group to get imaged and have the security/encryption software installed. My Pixel was delivered to Inventory today, and the desktop support group didn't need to see it at all. I picked it up and it hadn't even been turned on yet. Just opened to have an asset tag placed on the bottom.

So here I am, typing away on what is HANDS DOWN the most gorgeous, well made, pleasure-to-use laptop I've ever had. This includes high end MacBooks as well as Dell/Lenovo/HP Windows laptops. It's not even close.

And I have a feeling this is just the beginning of a new way to think about ChromeOS. We'll see some interesting things at I/O to be sure. You think Google isn't ready for the lamenting about not being able to use Photoshop on Chrome? Remember that they bought Nik last year as well. You think they're not working on an in house photo editing suite to roll out to us? This thing has professional photography written all over it. The screen, the aspect ratio (which by the way is so freaking nice to have to consume web content), the new Google + photos app that was leaked. They're definitely going somewhere with all of this.

Would I have spent my own money on one? I'd like to think that if I were shopping for a laptop, and I could get my budget to the $1500 range, I would. I would CERTAINLY take this over any comparably priced Apple laptop, but I'm sure I'd probably end up with a sub-$800 Windows 8 machine. I was fortunate enough to not have to find out.

Let's get this forum moving! :)

Okay, Droid, but frankly I still think you're nuts. There are so many fine full featured touchscreen ultrabooks you can get in that price range, ones that would not leave you having to occasionally use "the MBP sitting on my desk at work." $1500...for a Chromebook? Oy. I mean, I'm glad you're enjoying it, but, oy.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Okay, Droid, but frankly I still think you're nuts. There are so many fine full featured touchscreen ultrabooks you can get in that price range, ones that would not leave you having to occasionally use "the MBP sitting on my desk at work." $1500...for a Chromebook? Oy. I mean, I'm glad you're enjoying it, but, oy.

The MBP is fully capable of everything a windows notebook can do. In certain cases even more.and cheaper then a CBP

Posted via Android Central App

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site

I've got to tell you, since I started this thread, I've only come to love it more.

What I don't think you get, and most don't until they've used a CB primarily, is that NOT using OSX or Windows is the killer feature of ChromeOS. I could go on and on, but this has all been covered by much better tech writers than me. I love only having to remote into a MBP (although now it's a MacMini) or Windows 7 machine rarely. I would go nuts if I had to use those horrid OSes routinely.

I get that it's hard to understand if you haven't been able to try switching. But the experiences of those that do are almost unanimous. It's almost impossible to go back.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I've got to tell you, since I started this thread, I've only come to love it more.

What I don't think you get, and most don't until they've used a CB primarily, is that NOT using OSX or Windows is the killer feature of ChromeOS. I could go on and on, but this has all been covered by much better tech writers than me. I love only having to remote into a MBP (although now it's a MacMini) or Windows 7 machine rarely. I would go nuts if I had to use those horrid OSes routinely.

I get that it's hard to understand if you haven't been able to try switching. But the experiences of those that do are almost unanimous. It's almost impossible to go back.

OsX is not horrid at all. I would say Chrome OS however it is because its so limiting.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Thank you very much for posting your experiences. I'm really interested in Chromebooks, but I'm not sure if the Pixel is the right one or if I may hedge about for a little while longer and try to glimpse the next generation.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Spoken like a true OS X user. :p Until you see a Pixel and have hands on time, you just don't get it and you won't until then.

That argument never works. 'You can't possibly get it until you use it' isn't a valid response to him saying OSX isn't horrid.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I simply said OSX is not horrid. Gonna tell me why I don't "get" it?

Horrid seems like it's relatively in opposition to "really good".. which is another way of saying "I like it a lot", or in this case, "I dislike it a lot." So the base question is, do you like it, or dislike it, because of general comparable performance quantities or because of aesthetics or other subjective qualities?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Horrid seems like it's relatively in opposition to "really good".. which is another way of saying "I like it a lot", or in this case, "I dislike it a lot." So the base question is, do you like it, or dislike it, because of general comparable performance quantities or because of aesthetics or other subjective qualities?

But he isn't telling us why he said that.

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Based on my experience with my Samsung Chromebook XE303 (which I really like), I'm sure the Pixel provides an awesome experience. I don't like the idea of dropping $1000+ on computers unless they are desktops, but if I had tons and tons of discretionary income that dropping the necessary money on the Pixel wouldn't cause me to even bat an eyelash, I'd pick one up.

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for posting your experiences. I'm really interested in Chromebooks, but I'm not sure if the Pixel is the right one or if I may hedge about for a little while longer and try to glimpse the next generation.

There are lower-end chromebooks out there for <$300, and if you want to stick your foot in the world of chromebooks without much financial outlay, you can do so. I own one of those cheaper chromebooks (Samsung Chromebook XE303, i.e. the $249 chromebook), and I really like it. The basic chromebook experience I think is similar on any chromebook, but you get a ton more bells and whistles on the Pixel (in terms of overall build quality, screen quality, and touchscreen features).

BTW, Highland Droid IMO is right about the advantages of chromebooks over conventional desktop operating systems or even (IMO) mobile operating systems - the OS client is so thin that it works really, really well almost all the time (there are occasional performance hiccups, at least with the Samsung chromebook, but those hiccups are very infrequent).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995