Installing a Chromecast Ultra in a Car

James Jennett

May 4, 2018
Visit site
I think I can do this, just want to run something by you.

I want to stream music in a car where the head unit won't do A2DP streaming.

So in the rear of the car, I can theoretically power a Chromecast Ultra into a HDMI>RCA converter, into an AV input to my existing TV tuner. I then select AV1 on the source, and should be able to see the Chromecast on the flip up screen on the dash. With Video in Motion set, of course.

I can't do Miracast as it's a Pixel and won't Cast unless it's to Chromecast.

I have set up the Chromecast so that I can stream from my phone to it with my phone's own hotspot on. I did this by using another phone sharing the hotspot too, to initially configure the Chromecast to always look for my hotspot's SSID.

Thing is, I don't want to have my own phone's hotspot on to run this while it sits six inches from my face for two hours while I am driving. It' seems to be an unhealthy strength compared to Bluetooth.

Alternative would be: configure a Mifi unit in the trunk/boot too, reset the Chromecast to point to this by connecting both my phone and the Chromecast through this.

I have a good 4G plan on my phone, so don't need a SIM or data plan on the Mifi unit - I just want it to run as a Wifi router that my mobile and the Chromecast chat through. I had an old Huawei unit with no SIM, but it keeps prompting my Pixel to login in order to connect to it, and of course that would be a no-go for the Chromecast.

Does anyone know of a decent Mifi spot that would allow both the Chromecast and my mobile to connect to it without a SIM or data plan, and not try to present a credential prompt?

James Jennett

May 4, 2018
Visit site
At the moment I run Waze on the phone with Spotify running in that, in a cradle stuck to the inside of the screen. Ideally I'd like to mirror this on the actual pop-up screen in the head unit (2010 Audi A8). I can cast Waze, I've tested this on the TV at home. Then I can put the phone away under the arm-rest or such, on charge, and not have to see the cradle.