Chromecast announced

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have one on the way. :) 3-5 business days. I'm excited about this thing. Chromecasts for all the TVs! And the integrated power and volume TV control is underrated, that'll be a very helpful addition.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Just bought two of them. This thing is pretty f.ing amazing and for $35? Crazy.

Yeah, Koushik Dutta posted his (rather accurate) thoughts on the Chromecast on Google+. Enabling streaming from all devices, including the desktop Chrome tab mirroring, is very important. And with the API they're providing, devs can jump onboard with their apps. I'm really looking forward to using this thing.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
adding to that it now supports chrome, which is a huge deal!! before I don't think it was possible

Exactly. It's significant because it enables you to watch content available on the web on your TV very easily, bypassing the cable companies and their boxes. And because it'll just be cool and fun to use.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Awesome creation! Google is on the way to a huge win with this $35 little piece of total awesomeness :D

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
So question???? If your phone dies during the playback does it continue playing what was on your phone or stop as well? The Q would download and play so all I have to do is get it started playing and its good to go.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I was only half paying attention to the demonstration; did they say you can stream to it with laptops through the Chrome browser, too? If so, does this mean you can also do the same via a desktop computer, or is it only laptops?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I was only half paying attention to the demonstration; did they say you can stream to it with laptops through the Chrome browser, too? If so, does this mean you can also do the same via a desktop computer, or is it only laptops?

you can do it with any windows, mac PC(laptop/desktop) with chrome on it.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
So question???? If your phone dies during the playback does it continue playing what was on your phone or stop as well? The Q would download and play so all I have to do is get it started playing and its good to go.

The Chromecast streams directly from the source (i.e. YouTube, etc.) except when streaming a desktop Chrome window. They demonstrated the ability for the device to sleep, or leave the area, without disrupting current content. I'd assume that if your device dies, the current media will continue playing until it finishes and then just stop.

Yep, through the Chrome browser on Windows, OS X, or Chrome OS. You'll hit the 'cast' button in the top-right next to the Settings button and where extensions' buttons are.

kyleheney

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Why is this better than Miracast? Doesn't a device with Miracast support do all this (and more) without needing an additional dongle?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Why is this better than Miracast? Doesn't a device with Miracast support do all this (and more) without needing an additional dongle?

It's just as much about how it works as it is about what it can stream. The Chromecast streams directly from the source (i.e. Play Music, Netflix, YouTube, etc.) meaning your device is still fully usable while 'casting' content. The support for the desktop Chrome browser (Windows, OS X, Chrome OS) is also significant, as is the TV power, input, and volume control directly from the Chromecast.

They're two different approaches at displaying content on your TV. With Miracast and similar mirroring platforms, the content must be streamed to the device being mirrored.

kenbarnum

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I ordered one! Anyone know if I will be able to watch my Tversity movies from my desktop on it? I assume I'll have to wait for someone like Plex to update their app with a cast button...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I ordered one! Anyone know if I will be able to watch my Tversity movies from my desktop on it? I assume I'll have to wait for someone like Plex to update their app with a cast button...

You will have to wait for them to update their app...

They said for launch Google magazines, Google music, chrome, YouTube, and Netflix will be supported. Pandora soon in the future along with "others".

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.