Chromecast announced

justmikey

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Says coming soon on the Google play store :( anyone having better luck ordering one now?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Jon Sid

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Says coming soon on the Google play store :( anyone having better luck ordering one now?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I had no better luck than you. Does this mean they're already sold out? Do we have to do the same thing as we did for the Nexus 4 and get the app to tell us when it's back in stock?

Jon Sid

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I had no better luck than you. Does this mean they're already sold out? Do we have to do the same thing as we did for the Nexus 4 and get the app to tell us when it's back in stock?

WENT THERE AGAIN A MINUTE AGO AND GOT IT!! Keep trying and you might get lucky too.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well the Apple TV already kinda does this soooooo

Posted via Android Central App

Apple tv... $99.... Chromecast... $35.

Pay the more expensive price if you want.. I'll take the $35 more openly compatible Chromecast :).

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I ordered mine, but I have a question. This business about how it would stream directly from the source to the Chromecast - does this mean that the Chromecast has to be "signed in" to the wireless network with the proper credentials somehow?

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Why not have Chrome for Android ready to go for "casting?" Was it just me, or were the affordable Chromebooks from Acer and Samsung left off the list of compatible devices?

Besides the awesome tech involved, it seems like an end-run around content providers who successfully killed GoogleTV at launch by blocking the GTV Chrome browser. How long before the networks decide tab-casting their websites with content is off-limits?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I ordered mine, but I have a question. This business about how it would stream directly from the source to the Chromecast - does this mean that the Chromecast has to be "signed in" to the wireless network with the proper credentials somehow?

Yes. I'm sure it has a set up when first plugged in

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Why not have Chrome for Android ready to go for "casting?" Was it just me, or were the affordable Chromebooks from Acer and Samsung left off the list of compatible devices?

Besides the awesome tech involved, it seems like an end-run around content providers who successfully killed GoogleTV at launch by blocking the GTV Chrome browser. How long before the networks decide tab-casting their websites with content is off-limits?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

So glad you mentioned this. https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3209990?hl=en&ref_topic=3210038

Looks like it works on the pixel only at the moment. The Samsung chrome book can only do standard definition when it works. The acer has no support. That is a huge oversight IMO. It also looks like a tablet running chrome cannot be used. In a post PC market that is pretty poor.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So glad you mentioned this. https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3209990?hl=en&ref_topic=3210038

Looks like it works on the pixel only at the moment. The Samsung chrome book can only do standard definition when it works. The acer has no support. That is a huge oversight IMO. It also looks like a tablet running chrome cannot be used. In a post PC market that is pretty poor.

Good thing it's software we're talking about and supported devices can be added in the future. :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Apple tv... $99.... Chromecast... $35.

Pay the more expensive price if you want.. I'll take the $35 more openly compatible Chromecast :).

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Fair enough but I have invested in Apple(besides phones and tablets) and I got my ATV free:)

Posted via Android Central App