Chromecast Software Update Taking A Long Time

Explicit

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone let me know how long it takes to update? I've had it updating for the past half an hour and it still shows it being at 0%. Has anyone else had this same experience? It seems very odd for this update to take this long.

Last edited:

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Chromecast Update

If it's been an hour and still not doing anything, I think it's safe to assume that your Chromecast isn't going to update. I'm not sure what the proper course of action to take is though. Since you're one of the first (and few) people to own it, you may have to figure out a solution on your own...

Explicit

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

I worried that might be what I'd have to do. Worst thing is no topics of this issue exist to lead me in any direction :(

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I worried that might be what I'd have to do. Worst thing is no topics of this issue exist to lead me in any direction :(
Any luck? Remove the device, reset your WiFi router then try again.

If still no luck, then report back and we'll see if someone can get in here and provide some help.

Explicit

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Are you able to connect the device and use it without updating?

There is no way of skipping the update. The Chromecast app leads you into it automatically. I'm going to attempt to set it up through my laptop and see if that works.

Explicit

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Downloaded the Chromecast app (www.google.com/chromecast/setup) and set it up through my 2013 MacBook Pro and when it got to the software update screen it instantly started grabbing the update. Looks like, from my experience, that the Chromecast app for the phones/tablets have an issue setting up the device. I appreciate the help and I hope this gives some sort of direction for others who may have this issue.

Last edited:

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site

Weird. Yeah. I set up one on my MBA, and one from the HTC One. Both worked fine, no updates. Show us a pic of what it looks like?

Explicit

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Weird. Yeah. I set up one on my MBA, and one from the HTC One. Both worked fine, no updates. Show us a pic of what it looks like?

This was my view for a bit. I learned to hate that colored ring very fast. Once it finally started to update, it was the greatest colored ring I'd ever seen. The ... after minutes I thought was a joke by Google saying "its FAR more then seven minutes."

Also an observation, I think it was initially supposed to be called Chromekey.

Chromecast+-+1

Last edited:

Explicit

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

I was able to buy the last one in stock at one of my local Best Buy's (I say local because here in the Bay Area I'm 25 minutes away from 5 to 6 BB stores in any direction) and set it up in one of the upstair bedrooms. Used my Nexus 7 to configure it and the set up was instant. No updating the software or anything. I'm assuming my downstairs one was a first batch device with earlier software.

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I was able to buy the last one in stock at one of my local Best Buy's (I say local because here in the Bay Area I'm 25 minutes away from 5 to 6 BB stores in any direction) and set it up in one of the upstair bedroom. Used my Nexus 7 to configure it and the set up was instant. No updating the software or anything. I'm assuming my downstairs one was a first batch device with earlier software.

looks like it!!! because the name chromekey was called at the very early stage of the device. maybe they slipped old software by accident

Explicit

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

looks like it!!! because the name chromekey was called at the very early stage of the device. maybe they slipped old software by accident

If I knew how to revert it back and had instructions on how to obtain the software, I'd do it to let anyone else check through it to see if anything interesting could be found.

cyberkhan#AC

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

I just got my Chromecast a few days ago, worked fine for a couple of days and since yesterday I have the same problem, stuck at same screen 0%; it is a new chromecast; I have tried all options but even then it jumps to update screen and stuck at 0% (I have left it there for hours but no progress).
Any solution that you found as the thread was initiated couple of months ago.
Help appreciated.