Does Chromecast support 5ghz Wi-Fi?

Big-A-Rob

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Got the unit hooked up to my 2.4ghz Wi-Fi network but it sees the 5ghz network but has errors connecting. Anyone get it hooked up on a 5kHz network?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quastor

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing no, because I am having issues getting it to connect to my 5Ghz wi-fi as well. Not cool. I keep my N network on 5Ghz and the G network on 2.4Ghz with separate ssids. So basically in order to get this to work, I'm going to have to re-do my entire home network.

Big-A-Rob

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Dang. Not that big of a deal but I'm going to have to keep switching Wi-Fi networks to use it. I wonder why it detects the network if it doesn't support it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't remember it seeing my 5gHz network when I did the setup.

If I remember right, the device you are using to set it up disconnects from your local network and connects to a hotspot created by the Chromecast to perform the setup. Yet the Chromecast knew what network I had been on (despite ID broadcast being off) -- all the fields were auto-populated. Maybe it's not actually seeing your 5gHz network but is just pulling the SSID from the device you are using?

Joanne Eckert

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't remember it seeing my 5gHz network when I did the setup.

If I remember right, the device you are using to set it up disconnects from your local network and connects to a hotspot created by the Chromecast to perform the setup. Yet the Chromecast knew what network I had been on (despite ID broadcast being off) -- all the fields were auto-populated. Maybe it's not actually seeing your 5gHz network but is just pulling the SSID from the device you are using?

I haven't been able to get my Chromecast to work at all. I also have a dual-band router (Netgear). Each time I try to set up the Chromecast, it kicks my network offline.

How do I configure my router to let Chromecast see just the 2.4GhHz and not the 5?

Moses Smith

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been able to get my Chromecast to work at all. I also have a dual-band router (Netgear). Each time I try to set up the Chromecast, it kicks my network offline.

How do I configure my router to let Chromecast see just the 2.4GhHz and not the 5?
Joanne, your CC doesn't detect the 5ghz broadcast. I have two broad cast coming from my routher(2.4 and 5 ghz) and the CC will only detect the 2.4 broadcast. If it's connecting, it's connecting to your 2.4 broadcast.

jerethi

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Joanne, your CC doesn't detect the 5ghz broadcast. I have two broad cast coming from my routher(2.4 and 5 ghz) and the CC will only detect the 2.4 broadcast. If it's connecting, it's connecting to your 2.4 broadcast.

Are you controlling it from a device connected to your 5ghz network? Does it work?

tmeader

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Are you controlling it from a device connected to your 5ghz network? Does it work?

Yes, that works fine. As long as the wireless networks are on the same subnet, it doesn't matter which band they're on. The device just needs to be able to find the Chromecast's IP is all.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Try connecting the computer to a 2.4 for the setup. Chromecast will then be on a 2.4 and you can set the pc to either a 2.4 or 5. Should be fine unless you have a network problem. You can also set the network to any 2.4 in the chromecast setup.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I just setup my Chromecast tonight.

It did detected my 5ghz wifi network but it had problems with setup, so I immediately setup it up on my 2.4ghz network. Maybe an issue with the authentication encryption being used. Hopefully an update will fix this.

Dan G1

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Where did you see the specs for it on the Google Store, for the life of me I couldn't find them. I looked on other sites where you can buy it and I could only find a spec sheet on Best Buys site. It just has wireless N for the wifi but doesn't specify what band. During my setup it did see my 5ghz band but I couldn't connect to it and I was using a device (my samsung phone) that was connected to the same 5ghz wifi access. Once I changed over to my 2ghz band it found it right away, I'm confused though because if it can't use 5ghz shouldn't it not be able to see it?

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Where did you see the specs for it on the Google Store, for the life of me I couldn't find them. I looked on other sites where you can buy it and I could only find a spec sheet on Best Buys site. It just has wireless N for the wifi but doesn't specify what band. During my setup it did see my 5ghz band but I couldn't connect to it and I was using a device (my samsung phone) that was connected to the same 5ghz wifi access. Once I changed over to my 2ghz band it found it right away, I'm confused though because if it can't use 5ghz shouldn't it not be able to see it?

The only way you can see 5ghz is if the wifi card supports it. That doesn't stop driver or password encryption bugs from happening. Which this probably is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using AC Forums mobile app

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
So on Google's support website it states that the Chromecast supports only 2.4ghz networks and only those will be listed.

I guess that wifi chip is better than they thought lol.

dannchurch

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
As I think someone said earlier, it appears that it scavenges the SSID that you originally connected with an attempts to connect using that. I've tried with 2 different chromecast dongles, starting out with my tablet on a 5Ghz network. Both times the dongle showed that same 5Ghz network during the network setup but the dongles never were able to connect that network.

When I changed the network to a 2.4Ghz network on the network setup page, it connected to that network and then at the end of the setup process my tablet was switched to that 2.4Ghz network as well! I switched my tablet back to a 5Ghz network after setup completed and still was able to cast to the dongles. All that matters after setup is that you're on the same subnet.

ashwinipn

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
It is absurd and completely ridiculous decision. The router companies advertise that to see fewer frame drops and buffer free video, use 5 GHz band and for everything else use longer approaching 2.4 GHz. This device is made for video/audio content consumption and they decided to support only 2.4 GHz.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
It is absurd and completely ridiculous decision. The router companies advertise that to see fewer frame drops and buffer free video, use 5 GHz band and for everything else use longer approaching 2.4 GHz. This device is made for video/audio content consumption and they decided to support only 2.4 GHz.

So the companies that make routers and want you to buy a new one from them advertise that the newest feature is better?? you might want to google which is better or take your cell phone download a wi-fi analyzer and check the signal strength comparison between 5ghz and 2.4ghz on dual band routers. 2.4 GHz covers a larger area and penetrates solid objects better than 5 GHz. In the long run it is likely this is the reason Google decided to go with the more popular 2.4GHz. Had they gone with the higher spectrum The forums wouldbe filled with poeple complaining that they have to upgrade their hardware or complaining that the 5GHZ spectrum can't reach the wall ther TV is mounted to.