Amazon Instant Video

Ace4

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone had any success with streaming Amazon Instant Video from a Chrome tab on my desktop PC? It works on mine, but it stutters badly and the framerate on the video is incredibly low. Any workarounds?

Netflix/YouTube from my tablet work great.

BMIC50

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I really wish it amazon instant video would release android apps... there isn't even one for the phone/tablet devices

As an Amazon Prime member, I long for them to do this. But I think that this is the one carrot they can dangle in front of us to buy their hardware.

Speaking of which, I wonder if anyone has tried using the Chromecast from an Kindle Fire to stream anything.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Assuming you are using Chrome as the browser to stream to Chromecast, Chrome on mobile devices doesn't support Flash oand therefore you cannot play Amazon Prime content from within the Chrome browser. If I am mistaken about your use of the Chrome to stream (i.e., you are using the PC version), then nevermind.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Anyone had any success with streaming Amazon Instant Video from a Chrome tab on my desktop PC? It works on mine, but it stutters badly and the framerate on the video is incredibly low. Any workarounds?

Netflix/YouTube from my tablet work great.

Works great for me. I found out it works better on my computer than laptop though, but it said something was conflicting with it on my laptop, so that could be the reason, which it worked better on my computer.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It works for me. I have streamed Hulu, Amazon Instant Video, History Channel videos, all using Chrome Tab cast. I did have to change my quality in option from the default 720p to 480p. With 720p, it will freeze and skip every few seconds. With 480p, it ran smoothly for hours.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
As an Amazon Prime member, I long for them to do this. But I think that this is the one carrot they can dangle in front of us to buy their hardware.

Speaking of which, I wonder if anyone has tried using the Chromecast from an Kindle Fire to stream anything.

It isn't even really a carrot. IOS devices have a Amazon Video App.

Steve

Posted via Android Central App

teej51685

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
That, and the fact that the Amazon hardware was a way to get people tied into Amazon Services like their app market and VOD. I can't see the business sense of ignoring the Android device market. I'd be more likely to pay for Prime and buy more digital content from Amazon if they fully supported the Android ecosystem. I'm sure I'm not alone on that.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
That, and the fact that the Amazon hardware was a way to get people tied into Amazon Services like their app market and VOD. I can't see the business sense of ignoring the Android device market. I'd be more likely to pay for Prime and buy more digital content from Amazon if they fully supported the Android ecosystem. I'm sure I'm not alone on that.

If they made the app exclusive to the amazon app store it would at least act as a lure to that eco system.

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Also Airplay streams Amazon Instant Video quite well but lack of an app for Amazon Prime on Apple TV is why I have a Roku instead of Apple TV.
I can't think of any Good reason that Amazon supports iOS so well and Android basically not at all so it must be some business/competitive reason. Or something to do with Amazon running Android as the OS for Kindles.

It isn't even really a carrot. IOS devices have a Amazon Video App.

Steve

Bob Rawk

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Speculation is the new DRM hooks in 4.3 will resolve this, same reason Android devices are now eligible for 1080p streams from NetFlix.

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I really wish it amazon instant video would release android apps... there isn't even one for the phone/tablet devices

It's the only reason why I haven't signed up for Amazon Prime yet. If they do create Android phone/tablet apps and add Chromecast functionality, I'll sign up for Prime the same day.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I was able to Cast some Amazon Prime Instant Video content from an open Tab, but others would give me a compatibility error. It's a bit hit or miss at this point.

disconnect

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I tried disabling the Silverlight plugin on Chrome and selecting the link that then appears for the Flash video, but couldn't get it to work in Chrome. The Bubble Guppies video (yes, Bubble Guppies) I had tried to cast had previously not worked due to Silverlight being used by Instant Video. I don't know if there's some videos which play in Silverlight and some that play in Flash...

I second those who say Amazon should get off their asses and support Android. At least with the app support you could make the argument that they're trying to drive Kindle sales (though I didn't think they made anything off those). There is no conceivable reason I can think of why they couldn't support Chromecast.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Funny how Amazon has a dedicated app for Google TV, but not other Android devices. Works really well on Google TV, other than some quirky choices Amazon made regarding d-pad navigation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm