Using Chromecast with Android Phone Hotspot (AP isolation issue)

KB3JUV

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
So I found myself in a Best Buy yesterday and decided to pick up a Chromecast, even though I already have one coming in the mail from the Play store. Plugged it in and started going through the setup process to find that it wouldn't connect to my Galaxy Nexus hotspot running FoxFi. Looked all though the very limited settings in FoxFi and the Hotspot and Tethering Settings in the OS with and can not figure out how to disable AP isolation on the phone.

I should also note that I do not plan on using my Galaxy Nexus as the remote for the chromecast since WiFi access is shut off while it is in hotspot mode. I have a Windows laptop and Nexus 7 to control the device. The Galaxy Nexus just serves as the internet connection and router.

So for those extreme cord cutters that don't have a internet connection in their homes and a router, is the Chromecast useless? Or is there another option to get this to work? Anyone know how or if it is possible to disable AP isolation in Android?

Thanks

Last edited:

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've no idea how to get an Android phone to do what you want. Perhaps you could usb tether to a router so that the phone is the router's Internet gateway, and then have the router handle the LAN that the Chromecast and another computer you use to control the Chromecast from are attached to. Not sure if this would work, but here is a starting point to read: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/usb.tethering

KB3JUV

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I don't think that's going to work for me. After thinking about it more, I guess this is more of a question of how to disable AP isolation on your android hotspot rather than an issue with the Chromecast.

It looks like I may be able to accomplish what I'm trying to do by purchasing a Cradlepoint router which would take the WiFi connection from my Gnex hotspot and create another access point which I could run the Chromecast off of. That makes the project a little more expensive than 35 bucks.

Just sounds like the Chromecast isn't a viable option for those with no permanent internet and router at home.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a 4G LTE phone's modem can replace a good broadband internet service feed to stream video to a HDTV. Have you tested the download speed of your phone to see how fast it can download?

Also, don't be surprised if you got it working and got a $1K phone bill since the all included data plans aren't going to let you stream for hours watching TV on a budget phone service data plan, There is a reason why people haven't been streaming HDTV video over the Internet until the last few years since the backbone equipment couldn't handle the bandwidth. Comcast just sent me a letter that my old DOCSIS 2.0 Modem isn't supported anymore and I had to buy or lease a new DOCSIS 3.0 Modem.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
So I found myself in a Best Buy yesterday and decided to pick up a Chromecast, even though I already have one coming in the mail from the Play store. Plugged it in and started going through the setup process to find that it wouldn't connect to my Galaxy Nexus hotspot running FoxFi. Looked all though the very limited settings in FoxFi and the Hotspot and Tethering Settings in the OS with and can not figure out how to disable AP isolation on the phone.

I should also note that I do not plan on using my Galaxy Nexus as the remote for the chromecast since WiFi access is shut off while it is in hotspot mode. I have a Windows laptop and Nexus 7 to control the device. The Galaxy Nexus just serves as the internet connection and router.

So for those extreme cord cutters that don't have a internet connection in their homes and a router, is the Chromecast useless? Or is there another option to get this to work? Anyone know how or if it is possible to disable AP isolation in Android?

Thanks

I was able to test using the default mobile hotspot app on my DNA. Dogs have an issue with my work wireless network though; the router configuration did not enable UPNP.

Steve

Posted via Android Central App

KB3JUV

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't think a 4G LTE phone's modem can replace a good broadband internet service feed to stream video to a HDTV. Have you tested the download speed of your phone to see how fast it can download?

Also, don't be surprised if you got it working and got a $1K phone bill since the all included data plans aren't going to let you stream for hours watching TV on a budget phone service data plan, There is a reason why people haven't been streaming HDTV video over the Internet until the last few years since the backbone equipment couldn't handle the bandwidth. Comcast just sent me a letter that my old DOCSIS 2.0 Modem isn't supported anymore and I had to buy or lease a new DOCSIS 3.0 Modem.

I have a grandfathered unlimited plan, that's the only reason I'm using it as my primary internet connection at the house. I expect one day they will eventually force me to change my plan, but for now it makes no sense to pay 70 bucks a month just so I would be able to use this chromecast.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

I kinda disagree with you on the speed thing shiloh...We have LTE at over 30 down...that's plenty fast enough, as soon as I get my device I'll try to hotspot it and see how it does. I'll try it on my GN as well and see how it does with 8mbs down.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I kinda disagree with you on the speed thing shiloh...We have LTE at over 30 down...that's plenty fast enough, as soon as I get my device I'll try to hotspot it and see how it does. I'll try it on my GN as well and see how it does with 8mbs down.

Just curious, what is the actual upload speed compared to the advertized uplad speed? with video confrencing this is becoming more importat despite the fact the providers downplay this.

I like to compare 30 down 1 up to: entering your house through the front door but whenever you leave you must crawl out the smallest basement window.

csjohnstone

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
There are a number of reasons to get this to work. For me, when I travel it would be great to use my 4g connection in a hotel. Normal hotel sign on for internet thwarts the chromecast approach. 2 gigs of extra data on my plan costs 10 bucks and hotel internet costs $15 per day.

Anyway. If it is an OS change to remove the isolation, then we are likely out of luck. Am I wrong?

KB3JUV

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
John Affaki From the Chromecast team did open up some dialog on Google+ and mentioned that the best workaround for using a Chromecast in a public setting (hotel/cafe) (https://plus.google.com/app/basic/s...55/posts&sparm=cbp=1q58ltujera1e&sview=25)was to use the internet connection from a mobile device. So perhaps it is working on some devices? Does my Galaxy Nexus just not have the ability to support the AP isolation that's required for the Chromecast?

Latimer Turner

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I also have a grandfathered LTE plan and just recently canceled my cable internet and use the Galaxy Nexus's hotspot to power my home's internet. I have HD videos streaming on 3 computers, as well as internet access going to 6 other tablets and devices with no problems. I am sure Verizon isn't happy with me as I am now using 25-30 GB of data per week! LOL. I am waiting to get a nice little letter from them or for them to start throttling my speeds, but its been a few months now and so far so good.

I was able to get my Chromecast to set up to where it says "Ready to cast" on my TV, but the chrome browser on my computer cant seem to find the cromecast on my network for some reason. I also do not have the cast option on my Nexus 10 tablet. I am obviously not trying to use the GNex to control the cromecast as I am using it as my hotspot. To get the Chromecast to install, when you get to the option where you can change the chromecast's name (to livingroom for example) Dont change it. Not sure why but that seemed to work for me. I just got this thing a few hours ago so I'm still playing with it to try and get my devices to recognize it.

Latimer Turner

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
So I haven't tried this yet but I found a possible solution online. The directions are:
Make sure to set up chrome cast with home wifi first to get update, connect and name first. Then reset and use personal hotspot on cellular

The reason why I haven't tried this is because I don't have any other internet access except for the hotspot on my phone. So i may have to go to a friend's house to see if this fixes the problem.

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
wait, i ordered mine under the mindset that i would be able to do this...i don't have dedicated internet available at my apartment so i use my hotspot. I was going to connect the chromecast and laptop through my phone for internet...

this doesn't work?? why not? i have a decent knowledge of networking so if someone can explain please do...

wtf google

Last edited:

ckingt4iws

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Streaming that much video and you wonder why unlimited has gone away. Maybe it's not that these wireless companies arent doing evil by limiting mobile data after all. Of topic I know, just think it's ridiculous.

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Streaming that much video and you wonder why unlimited has gone away. Maybe it's not that these wireless companies arent doing evil by limiting mobile data after all. Of topic I know, just think it's ridiculous.

not really. this is the way things are going...bandwidth useage is just going to increase, their networks should be able to handle it and not advertise unlimited data if they can't.

connordmurphy

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Chromecast yesterday. I tried setting it up using the mobile hotspot from my rooted Galaxy S3, but it won't connect to it. Has anyone figured out why it won't let me?

colonelcack

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
according to google support this isn't possible:

Hello Troy,

Thank you for contacting Google Play! It was a pleasure getting to speak with you today. Unfortunately you will need an ISP to hook up your chromecast it will not work off of a hotspot connection.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reply directly to this email. Also, you can visit our help center at:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/

Regards,

Tracy

The Google Play Support Team!

On 08/10/13 00:10:27 ********** wrote:

first_name_req: Troy
last_name_req: Wisniewski
email_req: **********
Chromekey_serial:

description_req: I don't have an ISP at my residence, I use my Galaxy Nexus
hotspot for everything which always works out well. I was hoping that the
Chromecast would work connected to my hotpot but it seems to have issues.
People have stated that it won't work because your phone has to be
connected to wifi as well but my rebuttal to this is that
Microsoft's "SmartGlass" app is used to control my Xbox, through wifi. I
use my hotspot to give internet access to my Xbox and my phone can control
it even though it is technically not on a wifi network, instead it is
providing the wifi. To me it seems this is the same concept and should work
with a bit of back end support on your end. I would appreciate an email
back stating whether this is going to be possible or not. If it isn't
possible I understand. For $35 ($15 with the Netflix promo) it's not
exactly killing me. The reason I don't have an ISP is because I would
rather not be raped (for lack of better words)

P.S. Google Fiber Metro Detroit please
static_subject_line: Chromecast technical question

Can I control Chromecast with my phone without a wifi router? - xda-developers

I don't buy it though. there has to be some workaround...it just isn't there yet

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I would assume IF the hotspot could in someway provide the connection to a separate wifi router, then the chromecast and ANOTHER android device/PC could be used on that wi-fi network.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech