Chromecast causes my Nexus 4 (OTA 4.3) to lock up.

WwonderLlama

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't know whether this is a PSA or a cry for help....

I just updated my Nexus 4 to 4.3 via the OTA. That afternoon, I got my Chromecast in the mail. After playing with it for a while, I've found that if I start casting something from my N4 and lock the screen (just clicking the power button), after a few seconds, the Chromecast audio will stutter and then my N4 will be hard-locked. I can't get it back w/o doing a hard reset.

It seems to be specific to the Nexus 4, as the OG Nexus 7 I have (also 4.3 via OTA) works flawlessly, as does the Galaxy S3 running CM10.

It's been mentioned over on XDA forums, so I know I'm not alone. Has anyone seen this? Anyone running a Nexus 4 on 4.2 having the problem?

chaint

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I can report the same on my Nexus 4 with 4.3 stock. It definitely happens with Netflix, and often happens using YouTube. The phone becomes totally unresponsive once the screen goes to sleep.

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
First time using my Nexus 4 to Chromecast. Started up a Netflix video and now my phone won't wake from sleep. My Nexus 7 seems to be fine though.

keld

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Same here, got my chromecast yesterday and when i turn off the screen, the phone won't wake up. It's really a shame that google didnt test that, if they are trying to compete with apple they should better test their products, with apple everything always works...

JackTreehorn

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I contacted Netflix chat support. They said their engineers are aware of the issue, as is Google. They said the issue is caused by Android 4.3, and it's not specific to the Netflix app. No known workaround.

abattleofone

May 9, 2013
Visit site
I only encounter the shutdown when I lock the screen before my phone realizes a video is playing through Netflix on the Chromecast. Netflix does bug out on the phone a lot when using my Nexus 4 for it.

yaggermr

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I believe the sleep of death issue with Netflix is a universal issue for user on the Nexus 4 running android 4.3. After running Netflix when the phone hits the lock screen it will not wake and requires a reboot using the power button. Even if you force close Netflix after starting a chromecast the issue is still there. I have followed the forum on XDA looking for a fix but was hasn't developed yet. It might be nice if Android Central ran a story about this issue. It could help user be aware of what is causing their phone to lock up and draw attention to the Issue. ;)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital