I can't believe NO Chromecast Extension for Nexus 7 Chrome

Mark Spohr

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
"Chromecast. Everything you love, now on your TV. "
Chromecast is compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 2.3+ smartphones and tablets; iOS 6.0+ iPhones, iPads, and iPods; Chrome for Mac? and Chrome for Windows?; and Chromebook Pixel.

So why doesn't it work on my Android devices? It says right there it works on Android (right below the "Everything").

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Chromecast is compatible with WiFi-enabled Android 2.3+ smartphones and tablets; iOS 6.0+ iPhones, iPads, and iPods; Chrome for Mac? and Chrome for Windows?; and Chromebook Pixel.

So why doesn't it work on my Android devices? It says right there it works on Android (right below the "Everything").

It does work on your android device. It works with applications that are written to use the chormecast on those versions of the OS. If you have Youtube, or Netflix, you can use those apps to tell the chromecast to play content from those services. I stand by what I said earlier. You need to read all of the information and not just one part of it.

Westifire

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site

My apologies, you can read. It's your comprehension that's the problem.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

If you had read the posts before you posted your comments you would have seen that on 9/14 I had already clarified this. Give them time. This is a totally new concept and I am sure they are working to get as many apps to work with it as they can. I would say that so far this has been a damn good deal for only $35.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

It does work on your android devices for apps that support it. Chrome is not one of the supported apps.

It explicitly says Chrome for windows/mac. It no where on the ad says anything about chrome for mobile.

dmiller440

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
It does work on your android devices for apps that support it. Chrome is not one of the supported apps.

It explicitly says Chrome for windows/mac. It no where on the ad says anything about chrome for mobile.

Does anyone know why they have not added it for Nexus 7 or any of the mobile Android Devices? I signed up for Netflix, and absolutely love this device for this feature alone.

The Nexus 7 2013 is my first tablet and I am using it far more than I ever thought. Adding this additional feature would hit it out of the park.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know why they have not added it for Nexus 7 or any of the mobile Android Devices? I signed up for Netflix, and absolutely love this device for this feature alone.

The Nexus 7 2013 is my first tablet and I am using it far more than I ever thought. Adding this additional feature would hit it out of the park.

It is not device specific. They have to upgrade the Chrome mobile app. Give them time.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
No mobile platform has Chrome Tab Casting. I suspect it is a performance issue more then anything else. I suspect there is some special stuff with the graphics card going on to provide the extra horsepower to encode the tab. With that in mind we will probably never see it on mobile, or atleast not for a long time.

Pedalboy

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I have read the pedantic back and forth between those who are appalled that the device does not cast from Chrome with their mobile devices and those who are appalled that those complainers apparently cannot read. I can read. I have the Chromecast. I am moderately satisfied. The real question is what is Google's intent? If they plan to work on this, good. I think the device is worth what I already get out of it but will be more happy when I will be able to cast from Chrome on my s4. I am contemplating purchasing a Nexus 7 and Google's intent may come into play when I make that decision. What is the plan? I would like to know.

idm747

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
My understanding ( humbly ) is that there is no engineering issue here. The guys at google could make all our dreams come true blindfolded. It's the " suits" that have hamstrung the CC. Lots of pressure coming from the media giants ( ie using CC to stream pirated content ). Google is changing it's business model.....it wants desperately to become a major player in streaming content and does not want to upset their future partners. Which is ominous for the CC. Engineering/ coding is what Google do...this is not a " capability" issue but a political one and so the CC may never be enabled to stream from anything outside a narrow approved " white list"

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
My understanding ( humbly ) is that there is no engineering issue here. The guys at google could make all our dreams come true blindfolded. It's the " suits" that have hamstrung the CC. Lots of pressure coming from the media giants ( ie using CC to stream pirated content ). Google is changing it's business model.....it wants desperately to become a major player in streaming content and does not want to upset their future partners. Which is ominous for the CC. Engineering/ coding is what Google do...this is not a " capability" issue but a political one and so the CC may never be enabled to stream from anything outside a narrow approved " white list"

While you are correct in that the content providers are what is holding up the general development, there COULD be hardware issues with tablets/smartphones streaming content locally. I don't know that there is, but there could be. They are not that powerful really.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Please see this thread. it is not as simply as may believe: http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-chromecast/320906-google-cast-android-chrome-app.html

Mark Spohr

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like nobody knows for sure how it actually works...
Some people seem to be saying that the device must decode the stream, re-encode it for the Chromecast and then retransmit it. This, indeed would take a lot of resources. However, I wonder why they don't just redirect the stream from the original source to Chromecast which would take no resources.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember were I read it, but it was shown that the compatible video formats for the CC are somewhat limited. Anyone that thinks Google could just flip a switch and all our local content would work is just wrong.

There has to be something to ensure the video being passed to the cc is of a compatible format. The only way to do that would be to have the mobile device transcode the video stream realtime. I doubt most devices out there could do it. And then if they could the battery would end up getting tanked quickly.

The only reasonable way to use a mobile device is like that are doing. As a remote to play content stored on some other device. That other device would be able to transcode in realtime and hopefully not have to worry about battery power.

Posted via Android Central App

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember were I read it, but it was shown that the compatible video formats for the CC are somewhat limited. Anyone that thinks Google could just flip a switch and all our local content would work is just wrong.

There has to be something to ensure the video being passed to the cc is of a compatible format. The only way to do that would be to have the mobile device transcode the video stream realtime. I doubt most devices out there could do it. And then if they could the battery would end up getting tanked quickly.

The only reasonable way to use a mobile device is like that are doing. As a remote to play content stored on some other device. That other device would be able to transcode in realtime and hopefully not have to worry about battery power.

Posted via Android Central App

What does this have to do with whether Chrome for Android has a CC extension or not?

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What does this have to do with whether Chrome for Android has a CC extension or not?

Simple. Does a CC extension need to be made if the device doesn't have the CPU to perform the task in the first place. For a CC extension for Chrome for mobile to be made it needs to be pretty reliable. There is no way google can assure that with the wide range of cpu power on our portable devices, and the slew of video codec implementations out there. By depending on external services like Hulu, Netflix, Google Play they can ensure compatibility. I agree and would love local playback, but after dealing with video codecs and conversion software for some time I can certainly understand the complexities of how to make this work. Especially after reading the slim list of supported video codecs.

My point is that allot of people are oversimplifying this.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like nobody knows for sure how it actually works...
Some people seem to be saying that the device must decode the stream, re-encode it for the Chromecast and then retransmit it. This, indeed would take a lot of resources. However, I wonder why they don't just redirect the stream from the original source to Chromecast which would take no resources.

Actually we are very clear how it works. But not every stream will work straight to the CC. The services that work as you suggest are designed to work with the CC at the source. exp. Netflix, Play Movies, Play music. If they aren't setup to support the proper video codecs to stream directly to the CC then Chrome on the PC or Mac are needed to take the stream and convert it to a proper video codec for the CC. This is again a lack of understanding of how video works on computers and how really complex it can be.

Alniter

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I understand the frustration. Everyone's selling and promoting tablets so much now (including the Nexus) that is seems surreal that Google would make Chromecast available before it works on their own tablet. I don't own a laptop, it's Nexus or desktop, and the desktop's 3 rooms away from the TV so Chromecast is useless to me. It's like technology taking a step backward.

Alniter

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
And regardless of what Google has or hasn't spelled out, printed directly on the Chromecast box is this: "Send video or anything on the Web to your TV from your smartphone, tablet or laptop." At this point at least, that's false advertising. Tons of small print on the bottom, but it doesn't excuse that sentence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol